JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 08-12-2008 , 11:10 PM #1
Glenurla

Default Patching jeans?

Anyone any ideas about the best way to patch holes in the knees of jeans?
Glenurla is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 08-12-2008 , 11:26 PM #2
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenurla
Anyone any ideas about the best way to patch holes in the knees of jeans?

take denim from other jeans (outgrown or unfixable) and patch from the inside. kiara x
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-12-2008 , 11:29 PM #3
noni

Default patch jeans

The quickest way is to get some denim from an old pair of jeans or whatever piece of fabric offcut you want to use, next turn jeans inside out and cut fabric patch bigger than the ripped area, then the cheating bit! cut 4 pieces of wundaweb (this a thin almost transparent type tape which you can buy by the roll for a couple of euro its normally used for hems on clothing). Place wundaweb around area to be patched, place patch on top then follow with a damp light cloth or even a t-towel , press with an iron gently peel away t-towel and your patch should have stuck onto the jeans. Usually the instructions are on the wundaweb tape. Its the quickest way to patch if you dont sew.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 12:03 AM #4
Bettybooboopbedoop

good girl noni, something tells me you're a dab hand at this. Anyway, does the wondaweb wash ok?
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 07:59 AM #5
Doolough

You can try to patch from the inside with a different (flowery?) fabric for that funky look.
Doolough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-12-2008 , 10:32 AM #6
noni

Default patching jeans

Thanks Betty,
Yes Ive done quite a lot of sewing and improvising! I started using wondaweb when my son started school and came home with knees of school trousers ripped, Do all boys do this?
It washes o.k. but eventually if it comes loose its so easy to do that it doesnt matter.

Tip for school trousers and track suit bottoms, especially for cold winter days.

School track suit bottoms seem to be very thin so I line them with another track suit bottom, turn school track suit bottom inside out, slip another track suit bottom over, right side facing out, attach by sewing along waistband and hems turn right side out and voila ! A really warm track suit.
As track suits can be expensive use any old track suit bottom as the liner one.

Also before knees become ripped put a patch behind the knee area it makes them that bit stronger and protects knees.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-12-2008 , 10:09 AM #7
Glenurla

Default Patching jeans?

Thanks for the tip. Hadn't heard of wondaweb. I'll be patching my son's jeans. Also my own - don't know how but nearly every pair of jeans I have have holes in (right) knee. I think it's to do with kneeling down on the carpets to get down to the kids level.
Glenurla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-12-2008 , 01:17 PM #8
TheBear

I've found that it's best not to sew or stick along the top or bottom of the patch when attaching it to the knee of a pair of jeans. The knee needs more material to cover it when bent than it does when straight. If the patch is sewn along the sides, but free at the top and bottom, it can move when the knee moves to provide better patching. Also (or alternatively) use a longer piece of material than you think you need when patching knees, for precisely the same reason.
TheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 12:50 AM #9
jeana

those little iron on motif patches are great for older kids who are a bit fussy- I have a lot of trousers that need to be turned up- Is wonder web good enough as I don't want to be wasting my time-
Thanks
Jeana
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 01:02 AM #10
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeana
those little iron on motif patches are great for older kids who are a bit fussy- I have a lot of trousers that need to be turned up- Is wonder web good enough as I don't want to be wasting my time-
Thanks
Jeana

yes jeana, you can use it for almost anything, but be sure to cover it properly before ironing, I once got it all over the iron forgot to tell my OH and then he ruined a shirt! kiara x
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 01:59 AM #11
jeana

hee hee, Kiara , we should start a vampire club for late night wombles- my hubby works nights and I hate trying to sleep alone- also I have a headwrecking assignment due in on Friday aarrrghhh- well got as much work done as possible tonight my brain has turned to mush- I know what zombies must feel like- I need to make a cup of tea just for enough caffine to get me up the stairs and then zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz until- appointment with principal at 9.30 am- fun fun fun and then I have to ice-skate with my 8 and 11 year old hmmmm, I've never tried it before--hmmm should be FUUUUNNNNNN.
Nighty Nite
Jeana
jeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-12-2008 , 08:17 AM #12
lemencass

Default patching with wundaweb

This stuff is great! I use greaseproof parchment paper to iron over the area as I to destroyed an iron once,repacing the iron cost more than the garment I was patching! It is good for hemming but in my experience it is best to keep the wundaweb closeish to the bottom of the hem as it can appear to be stiff due to the glue bond being so tight. I would nearly practice on something you dont care for to get the knack of it first. I made curtains from an old table cloth with this stuff in my student days,great stuff. You can buy elbow and knee patches from the wool section of shaws but to be honest I think they are to big so I cut them to fit the area and wunaweb it,the material is fine but durable so you don't notice it against your skin.
lemencass is offline   Reply With Quote