JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 30-07-2009 , 01:59 PM #1
legalsec

Default Decorating wardrobes -- Need help pls!

I want to decorate my daughters wardrobes. Im a complete DIY newbie and really dont have a clue were to start! I want them something like the colour of these http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80099163 but not sure what kind of paint, should i sand first, were can i get handles similar to these? any help would be great, thanks all.
legalsec is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 31-07-2009 , 07:38 PM #2
beldarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsec
I want to decorate my daughters wardrobes. Im a complete DIY newbie and really dont have a clue were to start! I want them something like the colour of these http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80099163 but not sure what kind of paint, should i sand first, were can i get handles similar to these? any help would be great, thanks all.

Well, I'm not an expert, but i've taken on a job or two.
I can say that you should definitely sand them, with fine sandpaper, and the better, smoother job you do, the better the finish.
Wipe it all down with a damp cloth before you paint.
As for paint, any hard wearing kitchen paint in a matt finish will do, so u can wipe them down for years, and all the shops now mix colours to match
what ever sample you show them. Just get a 1 litre can of each colour, and that should be plenty.
Use a medium size roller, in 2/3 thin even coats, and they should come up lovely.
As for handles, well, lots of places sell funky ones, perhaps even those ones from Ikea!
Show us pics when you get it done
:-)
beldarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-09-2009 , 04:56 PM #3
suezanna

Default i can help you

you didnt say whether your furniture is already painted or not so here goes:
1 if it is painted you must first prime it. this can be done easily with white emoltion paint. then when this is dry you can gloss any couler.
2 if it is bare wood you must undercoat the wood and then gloss. hope this helps you and dont forget to paint the top coat lightest blue first then let dry then paint the dark couler last. sue from youghal cork
suezanna is offline   Reply With Quote