JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-05-2008 , 11:01 PM #1
cheddarlane

Default Ppppssstttt Pass It On!!

Tell everyone and anyone about this site!!
I have invited new residents this week, and do so most weeks.

But I am so sad to see some people who haven't heard of the site and often due to no internet access!

I was driving though Lucan yesterday and saw 5 skips in one street alone!!
Loads of furniture and toys etc pilled up. Such a shame to be skipped!!!

If a neighbour I would inform them of the site (may even save them space in skip or to downsize)

But not up for knocking on strangers doors yet.

Need more Community spirit in the real world as certainly plenty of it here in the Cyber World!!

so continue spreading the good news!
Attached Images

cheddarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 08-05-2008 , 08:07 AM #2
cheddarlane

Default skips

Yes,

2 years ago there was a skip round the corner from me and the people moved away (rented) and the owners were selling it and gutted the place.

I saw a lovely garden bench on top and not a thing wrong with it!!

I rang the door first rather than just taking it.
The lady was so snooty and her neighbours were also looking at me in disgust on me pulling it out!

I sit on the bench all the time now the weather is lovely.

But this really put me off!!

(people would be staring at you having a look), so just drive by thinking off what treasures could be in there, and the poor dumping sites, getting more rubbish!!
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 09:58 AM #3
misstake

Default pass it on

There seems to be the same problem in Sligo nobody wants to go to the bother of passing things on But im busy passing the word on here maby soon you will see stuff from Sligo wow cant wait
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 10:10 AM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstake
There seems to be the same problem in Sligo nobody wants to go to the bother of passing things on But im busy passing the word on here maby soon you will see stuff from Sligo wow cant wait
Hi misstake,

We ran ads on Ocean FM (Sligo, Leitrim, Donegal) in late March/early April but they seem to have had little effect -- membership from these counties still remains very low. This could be for a number of reasons -- demographics etc. We'll continue our work in promoting JumbleTown as best we can.

Thanks for helping to spread the word about JumbleTown.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 10:36 AM #5
misstake

Default Sligo

Yes i heard those adds on the radio And im hoping to get The sligo post a free newspaper to do a piece very soon That way someone might get the idea of what the site is about But i think more people around here are looking at the site because ive been told Thank you for doing a great job And the idea is brilliant
Good luck
Bernie in Sligo
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 10:43 AM #6
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstake
Yes i heard those adds on the radio And im hoping to get The sligo post a free newspaper to do a piece very soon That way someone might get the idea of what the site is about But i think more people around here are looking at the site because ive been told Thank you for doing a great job And the idea is brilliant
Good luck
Bernie in Sligo
Thanks for the feedback and support, misstake.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 02:33 PM #7
unapam

Default Beware Phone Eating Skips!

Hi, I think it is such a waste to see useful items in skips...and skips are not cheap to hire. When are the county councils going to start the German idea of nominating a Jumble Day for people to put these items out in front of their houses for everyone else to choose from. It works great and almost everything gets a new home. People love it and their is a party atmosphere as everyone goes around the neighbourhood "shopping"

I have raided many a skip in my day. But here is a cautionary tale about it...While raiding a local skip one evening I was delighted to come home with a treasure but then could not find my mobile phone. I had a bad feeling it has slipped out of my pocket and into said skip. So - says I to my long suffering husband "We'll take the dogs for a walk and when we are near the skip you ring my number"

Well, of course it worked fine as I could hear a cheerfull tune coming from the skip that had swallowed my phone. I was running around it looking for light from phone and managed to spot it right at the bottom of skip.

So I had to climb half in and poor hubby is holding on to me by the knees and the dogs started barking and out comes the house owners and worst of all -we knew them! We all had a good laugh and I got my phone back but now if I even cast a sidelong glance at a skip hubby locks the childproof doors and growls..."DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 03:06 PM #8
HappyHunter

Hi, I was in Toronto a few years ago for a holiday during my stay I experienced the areas jumble day. Everyone in the community cleared out their unwanted items from their garages and sheds, placed them on the grass verges and for the next 24 hours, even through the night, people went from grass verge to grass verge collecting items that were useful to them. The following day the council trucks came around and collected what was left.

Only yesterday I was rooting in the skip in the local hardware store yard and found an ideal wood structure that will make a great feeding table for the birds. I also found a piece of wood that will replace a chewed seat rung on my garden bench.

unapam you should write a book, you have us in stitches reading your post :)
HappyHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 03:23 PM #9
cheddarlane

Default `skips

Soooo Funny!!

I Could Kick My Self Earlier Today!

I Drove By A Skip At Bottom Of My Road On Way To Shops, Noticed A Beautiful Garden Sculpture. (a Lady Holding Flowers)

Thought I Would Have A Better Look When I Got Back From Shops

Came Back Less Than 30mins Later And It Was Gone.

Booo Hoo.

Someone Else Had The Same Idea!!
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 07:55 PM #10
unapam

Default garden bench

Dear Happyhunter,

The Canadians are great recyclers and have a great time doing the regular neighbourhood trawl.
I'm delighted you found a piece of wood to fix...and I quote "..a chewed rung on my garden bench"

ah, sufferin' heart! Stop chewing yer' garden furniture or you'll get splinters in your bum and gum!...love Unapam
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 09:10 PM #11
HappyHunter

Quote:
I'm delighted you found a piece of wood to fix...and I quote "..a chewed rung on my garden bench"

ah, sufferin' heart! Stop chewing yer' garden furniture or you'll get splinters in your bum and gum!...love Unapam

Ahemmm (grin), twas not me who chewed it, twas something with four legs or maybe it was 3 things with 4 legs each.

:)
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 10:14 PM #12
angie1

Default pass it on.....

hi all thank god there is more like me out there!!!!!!!never be ashamed to go skip surfing and if you see somthing you like take it without thinking because it will be gone or worse the skip will be gone when you go back........if the dumpers wanted it they wouldnt throw it out in the first place..getting back to pass it on where are all the cork people ???????????im after telling everyone i know about this site and no one ive told has jioned up yet!!!!!!!Why i dont know its fab i love it addicted maybe.But well worth it keep up the good work people and C'MON D REBELS jion up ITS FREE>>>>>>kind regards to all angie1
angie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 10:44 PM #13
mum2tld

my sister lives in london and so far out of skips or just outside peoples houses she's gotten a flat screen tv, an xbox and2 childrens bikes all of which could of been given to charity shops or someone who might of needed them before just been chucked out, but then my sister benefits from it so its good
i've told a few people about this site but so far none have joined up
mum2tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 11:09 PM #14
HappyHunter

I've told lots of people about JT, am not sure if the've all joined yet because they are prob using pseudo names. I printed the JT poster and got the village shops to display them. Hello to anyone who knows me (wave).

Kathy
HappyHunter
Old Posted: 10-05-2008 , 11:23 PM #15
Linn

I have a confession to make. I am also a dumpster diver. If my kids are with me they do be morified. If i like it i'll get it.
Ive also told everyone i know about jumbletown. I tell strangers, people on the bus basically anyone who will listen. I know lots who have joined after i told them and i also know one or two who are like myself addicted, maybe they live on my road who knows.
Unapam your skip story made me laugh and i think its hilarious.
Linn is offline   Reply With Quote