mum2tld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-05-2008 , 03:49 PM #17
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mum2tld
i'll be posting this poster up at my parent and toddler group
Many thanks for helping to spread the word, JumbleTowners!

A4-sized JumbleTown Posters can be downloaded here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-05-2008 , 10:17 PM #18
Philomena6196

I bought a rabbit and decided he needed a friend so i bought what i was told was another male. Turned out it was a female but i could not afford another hutch to seperate them so the girl in the pet shop told me about here!! Had never heard of it before!

Thats my story :-)
Philomena6196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-06-2008 , 06:17 PM #19
biker chick

I heard about this site on Corks 96fm radio station & logged on in sept 2006 & have never logged out,ive gotten many a fab item & in return have & will continue to give as much as i can,its unbelieveable what people throw out & in this day & age where everything is so expensive wether you have a family or not its a shame,i appreciate all the work behind the scenes of the jumbletown site "YE ALL HAVE MADE MY CHILDREN & I VERY VERY HAPPY"with all the hard work keeping this site up & running,well done,best wishes,sisterevelyn
biker chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-06-2008 , 08:39 PM #20
carissa

Default phone eating skip

hi unapam, thanks for cheering me up, i had such a laugh picturing you retrieving your fone,

Quote:
I think it is such a waste to see useful items in skips...and skips are not cheap to hire. When are the county councils going to start the German idea of nominating a Jumble Day for people to put these items out in front of their houses for everyone else to choose from. It works great and almost everything gets a new home. People love it and their is a party atmosphere as everyone goes around the neighbourhood "shopping"

I have raided many a skip in my day. But here is a cautionary tale about it...While raiding a local skip one evening I was delighted to come home with a treasure but then could not find my mobile phone. I had a bad feeling it has slipped out of my pocket and into said skip. So - says I to my long suffering husband "We'll take the dogs for a walk and when we are near the skip you ring my number"

Well, of course it worked fine as I could hear a cheerfull tune coming from the skip that had swallowed my phone. I was running around it looking for light from phone and managed to spot it right at the bottom of skip.

So I had to climb half in and poor hubby is holding on to me by the knees and the dogs started barking and out comes the house owners and worst of all -we knew them! We all had a good laugh and I got my phone back but now if I even cast a sidelong glance at a skip hubby locks the childproof doors and growls..."DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT!"
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-07-2008 , 10:41 AM #21
zyxel

Default I totally agree!

Hi there, I am new today! this is FAB.. I was told yesterday, and joined today, and now I am telling my brother who just bought a new apartment in Gasworks. He has stuff to get rid of before the move and some to acquire. Pure brill...

I am just getting the hang of the site, but I am in danger of posting everything in the house just to experience how it works in real life ! heheh

Kindest regards

Z
zyxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-07-2008 , 11:37 AM #22
misstake

Default welcome

hope you have a great time on here and welcome to jumbletown
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-07-2008 , 12:49 PM #23
Mickey

I remember reading about JT a few years ago - it was given a small mention along with a few other options for re- and free- and life-cycling to minimise our impact on the environment.

Never gave it a thought until a friend was desperately looking for something so thought I'd check it out for her.

Have not looked back in regret once since then (well, maybe the once then) but have SO enjoyed the community and reading the banter and the advice, it is all really helpful, inciteful, creative and many times side-splitting :o).

Also a bit shy of asking for stuff from skips but we got a lovely rustic looking kitchen dresser and matching shelving unit out of our neighbour's skip and am so glad, it looks great and holds MUCH. My hubby has no such qualms (even though he is always giving out when I ask him to collect something from a JTer for me). He is constantly skip diving for bikes and bits of bikes.

I tell anyone and everyone. Everytime I think to print a poster though I am down to my last dribbles of ink :o(

While I'm thinking of it (and while the ink is fresh) I will print a cople of posters and put them up in a couple of shops here in Wicklow. (Have not seen one here yet, so I should really get off the duff and do something about it - RIGHT NOW!)

Off to the shops.

Great job Chris P ('Who's Crispy?' I hear my husband ask) and Dave with running the site.
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-07-2008 , 08:13 PM #24
Mickey

Posters Posted :o) Let the giving begin - again :o)
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-07-2008 , 08:22 PM #25
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey
Posters Posted :o) Let the giving begin - again :o)
Many thanks for putting up the JumbleTown posters, Mickey!

If anyone else is interested in helping to spread the word about JumbleTown, they can download A4 posters...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm
Attached Images

Old Posted: 20-07-2008 , 10:51 AM #26
mrsl

Default JT Business Card!

I'm a member of another forum that promotes itself by handing out business cards whenever they are at an event/show etc.

The members are usually identified by what they are wearing (or even their enthusiasm sometimes!) and when anyone shows an interest they give them a small business card with the web address of the forum on it. There are always lots of new members after the event.

Potential members go home with the web address in their pockets instead of having to find a pen to write down the address or remember it.

Perhaps JT members could hand out their own business card?

Something like this maybe? I have it done out as a sheet of business cards if anyone is interested.
Attached Images

mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-07-2008 , 10:54 AM #27
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsl
I'm a member of another forum that promotes itself by handing out business cards whenever they are at a event/show etc.

The members are usually identified by what they are wearing (or even their enthusiasm sometimes!) and when anyone shows an interest they give them a small business card with the web address of the forum on it. There are always lots of new members after the event.

Potential members go home with the web address in their pockets instead of having to find a pen to write down the address or remember it.

Perhaps JT members could hand out thier own business card?

Something like this maybe? I have it done out as a sheet of business cards if anyone is interested.
Good idea, mrsl. I'll put it to the managers of JumbleTown and see what they think.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 09-08-2008 , 08:45 PM #28
Andy94

Default jumbletown

recycle
Attached Images

Andy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-10-2008 , 11:56 PM #29
bluecurlygirl

Default Joining the bandwagon

The beginning of June this year myself & himself were driving round in his work van looking to buy a wee run around for me to learn in. We pulled up at a garage and right beside where we had pulled up there was an overflowing skip. Went to the garage with the skip on my mind! Didn't get a car there but my 3 year old daughter got a motorbike!!! The other half was disgusted at me hauling this bike out of the skip but I didn't care. Someone passing by stopped and watched me and I just said "it's a disgrace what some people will throw out". I have no shame about doing things like that. There was a kennel there too just missing a door but we already had one (we had bought one 2nd hand) and a wendy house but I couldn't get at that - too short! And himself refused to assist. Mind you he was sorry after cos I bent his ear so much over it. Could've been a wonderful christmas present.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 05:36 PM #30
paprika

True, skip diving is a really usefull... and so interesting!! I remember, when I was young(er) we had the great Spring Clean-out Day. You could dump all your not domestic rubbish on the pavement in front of the house and the city bin company collected it. No skips, just in a big heap. And that's in the city, in front of huge block of flats! Oh, the pickings... I loved it, you could get all sort of things, old furniture, books, baskets, antique bits and pieces... I alwys picked up loads of things and gave them good use afterwards. And my mum was just the same ;)

The other day I've passed a skip in Galway. It was full of good condition pine plank pieces. Stuffed as much as I could into the car. The result: a spice rack (still have to screw it together though...) and firewood for aweek :)
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote