User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 01:25 AM #16
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildepigge
maybe, i know lots of ebay sellers have automated feedback mechanismsso its possible they would have to use keywords because they dont reply to all postings, i wonder if professor frink is on jumbletown.....

Hiya wildepigge, like this thread. It's good to get debates going. The ebay automated feedback mechanism is a tool on ebay. Ebay provide that function. It works only on positive feedback received and so it automatically gives positive feedback. The seller chooses the wording - normally short. I haven't seen any tools like that on this site but I also wonder sometimes how people get in so quick on so much stuff. I think some of it are newcomers who are amazed that people are giving good stuff for free and put in for it all and then realise that they'd have to collect it all if they won and they back off! Some of it is possibly timing, not everyone who works is on a 9 to 5 job. Online when the stuff comes on? Sure what odds in the end anyway, it seems to sort itself out in most cases and sure most people on this site love it so it's working! Enough ranting. Happy Christmas all and good night - I must sleep zzzzzzzzz
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 09:36 AM #17
wildepigge

Default Re: *

I'm off this site now i was censored the last 2 posts i made, humour seems to be sadly lacking here as well as in the country. happy christmas to you and yours bluecurlygirl :)
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 01:56 PM #18
Bettybooboopbedoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfearisfearr
This is one excellent site and deserves all the support of its members.If any one giving thinks they are going to be exploited by a taker then simply ignore their posts.
I totally agree.
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 05:15 PM #19
Fries-With-That

Default Getting in First.

Maybe this is too simplistic a solution to the reason why some people get in first on a regular basis.

If you subscribe to a thread you get E mail notification of new posts.
Some people have mobile phones that can get E mail.

Its therefore easy enough to have your mobile phone alert you if there is a new post on a particular thread, click on the email and if you want the item or feel that you may want the item all you have to do is reply from your mobile phone.

Subscribe to thread--- get an email update-- view the new posting via internet on your mobile --- respond to the post via internet from your mobile phone.

Thats how I think it works anyway.

However in my experience, if you're interested in an item you're better off to express your interest in it, be you the first second or tenth person asking for it, because it appears that for whatever reason those expressing an interest before you on the list may have to withdraw that interest.

I have recieved some great things, and I think I was first on the list of those expressing an interest only once.

Fries.
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 06:22 PM #20
MandyD

It does depend on how fast you can type too. I don't have a problem in that area as I can type 69 words per minute but I have often not been first in line. In fact, I was first in line only twice. Once for myself and once when I asked (not knowing it was prohibited) for something for someone else. I have gotten two items from the luvverly people here when I wasn't first in line...

Then again, if you reply to an offered ad with no please or thank you, you could end up ignored. Not saying anyone in particular does that - but you get my meaning... Manners don't cost anything, and it's nice to be nice. :-D

Just my two cents worth...
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 08:36 PM #21
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyD
It does depend on how fast you can type too. I don't have a problem in that area as I can type 69 words per minute but I have often not been first in line. In fact, I was first in line only twice. Once for myself and once when I asked (not knowing it was prohibited) for something for someone else. I have gotten two items from the luvverly people here when I wasn't first in line...

Then again, if you reply to an offered ad with no please or thank you, you could end up ignored. Not saying anyone in particular does that - but you get my meaning... Manners don't cost anything, and it's nice to be nice. :-D

Just my two cents worth...

I definately agree with you on the manners issue Mandy, Kiara x
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 09:09 PM #22
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
I'm off this site now i was censored the last 2 posts i made, humour seems to be sadly lacking here as well as in the country. happy christmas to you and yours bluecurlygirl :)
Hi wildepigge,

I've no recollection of censoring (or indeed censuring) you. It's Admin's job to remind Members of the site's function, and it's rules and policies. We remove posts that are off-topic and those that may be offensive or construed as inflammatory.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 10:52 PM #23
wildepigge

Default reply

Hi Chris
2 recent posts were deleted, a lady had mice and I jokingly suggested she make a stew with them she is a vegetarian so obviously this solution was unacceptable. I then suggested she look for a fairy godmother that needed 4 mice to pull a pumpkin pantomime season and all that both were removed. heavy handed i'd say.
anyway happy Chriistmas to all
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 10:56 PM #24
misstake

Default happy xmas

oh im sure it wasent serious sure its the season to e happy merry christnas to all and enjoy yourselves dont take life to serious ---- its short enough xx
Old Posted: 21-12-2008 , 11:31 PM #25
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Hi Chris
2 recent posts were deleted, a lady had mice and I jokingly suggested she make a stew with them she is a vegetarian so obviously this solution was unacceptable. I then suggested she look for a fairy godmother that needed 4 mice to pull a pumpkin pantomime season and all that both were removed. heavy handed i'd say.
anyway happy Chriistmas to all
Hi wildepigge,

Posts on threads should relate to the Giving and Taking process or be genuinely helpful. Admin regularly receives PMs from Members complaining about others "spoiling" their threads. This means more work for Admin and we already have enough of that.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 22-12-2008 , 12:50 AM #26
bluecurlygirl

I'm totally on board with the manners. In anything in life I think you may not always get what you want but you'll get treated a little nicer if you are polite and mannerly. And maybe a kind word endears you to the giver - so what? I've got three things on this site and was only in first for one of them. I think I was about tenth for another! Stay on awhile wildepigge. Get to know things a little better. It really is a wonderful place on here. Lots of genuine people that I have become friendly with. I love it.
Old Posted: 22-12-2008 , 01:24 AM #27
jeana

I like when people make a point and are heard, it's great! Both sides are usually correct to some degree. I usually have a look at people's previous posts if I'm going to go to the trouble of buying wrapping and driving to the post office, babe in arms and hand over my hard earned cash to post someone something- It's easy to spot someone who is selling stuff as they usually have a van and only take furniture- I noticed a poster who had 3 kids in November and 2 kids in December- I honestly hope nothing happened to one of her kids or maybe she forgot which yarn she was spinning- lol- now , I'm joking here, seriously it's great to get something off your chest all of a sudden it begins to pale into insignificance- lol- sometimes I rant and rave and then I feel so silly - so I put plenty of lol's in my comment - Please don't take me too seriously- EVER lol
Old Posted: 11-01-2009 , 11:28 AM #28
elbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealga
I have a somewhat related question.

I have been giving stuff away recently and I notice that some posters seem to be first with an 'I am interested' reply within minutes, only to show no further interest and not even reply to PMs etc.

Is it possible that some people have worked out an automated reply system to get themselves first in line to give them a chance to check an item out later?

I imagine most people are, like me, working on a 'first come, first served' basis.

I have thought this also from time to time (some people must have worked out an automated reply system) but I have noticed their names and I think other JTers notice their names also and get wary of them. We just have to be careful. You just get to know people after a while. I wouldn't like to think my items were to be sold on afterwards either. No one would. There is another excellent site if one wants to sell stuff.
Old Posted: 11-01-2009 , 06:33 PM #29
Anfearisfearr

Default replies

First of all let me assure people that automated reply is not possible without sites permission.People who reply within seconds are those who are online at the moment and are quick enough to reply.Some people are lucky enough to be able to stay online. This is not possible for everyone but thats the luck of the draw.Be lucky or dont,dont blame anyone or anything.
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 07:05 PM #30
chloe123

Default I totally agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfearisfearr
First of all let me assure people that automated reply is not possible without sites permission.People who reply within seconds are those who are online at the moment and are quick enough to reply.Some people are lucky enough to be able to stay online. This is not possible for everyone but thats the luck of the draw.Be lucky or dont,dont blame anyone or anything.

I thought the purpose of this site was for givers to clear items they don't want anymore. What does it matter how quickly a taker replys. Either give the stuff away with good intentions or don't. I often sit with my laptop on my knee and often look to see whats new. So if I reply first so what. It seems to me that this site is being used by people who want to make friends or influence people - so are swapping items accordingly. I think this is a great site and does exactly what it says on the tin. If anyone thinks there is something sinister going on I suggest they get a life. If people are willing to take the time and energy to sell things on fair play to them. If anyone begrudges giving an item away have they thought about going to the time and trouble of selling it themselves. They may even make friends in the real world then instead of in the virtual world of jt.
Closed Thread