Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 31-03-2006 , 05:00 PM #1
Dave Hagan
Administrator

Default Debate: Animals On JumbleTown

Hi Everyone,

Currently members are prohibited from giving away animals/unwanted pets on JumbleTown.

We would, however, welcome the views of our members on this issue.

Should all animals be prohibited?

Should there be exceptions (e.g. birds or fish)?

Regards,
Dave Hagan,
(Admin)
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 01-04-2006 , 02:17 PM #2
Southside

I have to admit, I personally don't have a problem with members giving away pets on JumbleTown, especially if the alternative is putting the animal to sleep.

After all, you often see ads in the papers offering pets to good homes.
Old Posted: 22-04-2006 , 03:49 AM #3
Brand

Default i'm all for animals

i've no problem with animals on jumbletown.
seems like an ideal place to 'give' & 'take' without too much hassle.

Brand.

PS anyone wanna wabbit? only joking! Roger's a big part of my life.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 10-06-2006 , 01:23 PM #4
jody

Default animals

I dont think that any aniaml should be given away on jumble town, if someone really wants a pet contact your local dog pound or SPCA if people are trying to get rid of a pet visit visit www.irishanimals.ie, or contact a local aniaml group at least this way home checks and back ground checks can be done, with the growth of dog fighting wouldnt you like to know who you are giving your animal away to, and by giving it away you are giving it's life no value if someone really wants an animal they would be willing to pay a small fee, it's a life your dealing with not an object
Old Posted: 10-06-2006 , 01:25 PM #5
Dave Hagan
Administrator

Thanks for your post jody, some good points.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin
Old Posted: 11-06-2006 , 10:05 AM #6
plato

I agree with Jodie. There is enough 'trafficking' of animals going on as it is.
I got good homes for all five of our puppies by putting an ad in the vets.
The vet only give to good homes and can spot who is a genuine animal lover and who isn't. Leave it to the exprets.
Ps. an animal is for life - not just for christmas.
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 01:57 AM #7
Ross23

i think you should be able 2 post exotic pets eg reptiles, spiders, snakes.

there is no pound you can bring unwanted lizards to so they end up gettin neglected or flushed down the tiolet.
jumbletown should let this be.
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 04:04 PM #8
jody

Default reptiles

the DSPCA does have a reptile section and does take in unwanted and abandoned reptiles to rehome, they also have a bredding programme, irishanimals.com also provides a section for reptiles, there is also a reptile club that you could get in touch with Peter ward retile help line 0872262683 , reptiles are not the sort of pet someone should take on with out knowing every thing about them, this is why there are so many unwanted reptiles they are so easily available and people dont realise how hard they are to keep so if you are passing on a reptile wouldnt you want to know that it is going to a capable person that know the food and conditions needed
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 06:40 PM #9
Ardnek

Please please don't go down the route of allowing pets to posted as this just perpetuates the idea that pets are as disposable as pots and pans. Perhaps pin a thread with links to http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php?act=idx or Irishanimals as well as rescues etc for people needing to rehome pets.
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 06:56 PM #10
Castle

Ok that kind of thing makes me very angry why should birds and fish be less important than other pets??? If anything fish are the hardest animals to transport safely. Many larger birds are more intelligent than dogs, all pets should be seen under the same light.
If anyone doesn't want their pet they should go through proper channels and ask advice of one of the many rescues out there, rescues may not be able to take in the animal but they can offer advice to the owner on how to rehome it, what to look for in the new home etc.
Too many puppy farmers and back yard small animal and bird breeders out there that use free ads as their way to advertise..too risky in my book.

If animals are put up for sale here I will un register.

However a link to rescues in Ireland would be helpful to point people in the right direction, animal housing could be sold but a ban on the sale of round bird cages and round fish bowls would be great (in an ideal world).
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 07:17 PM #11
Mrs Doyle

[quote=Castle] all pets should be seen under the same light.
If anyone doesn't want their pet they should go through proper channels and ask advice of one of the many rescues out there, rescues may not be able to take in the animal but they can offer advice to the owner on how to rehome it, what to look for in the new home etc.
Too many puppy farmers and back yard small animal and bird breeders out there that use free ads as their way to advertise..too risky in my book.

If animals are put up for sale here I will un register.

Have to agree. All animals should be granted the same protection. Selling animals on the internet is not very responsible. There are resources available to people who no longer want their pets. Most rescue groups and individuals who help animals are listed on www.irishanimals.ie People need to be responsible about rehoming their animals, regardless of what it is.

By making animals available on this site, they are being treated as little more than unwanted items instead of living, breathing, feeling animals.
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 09:25 PM #12
berni

Default offering pets

No I totally disagree with offering anything like pets on a site like this. There are lunatics out there that will take a pet and how on earth can they be home checked. There is enough abuse of animals out there without offering them to "anyone" for free. There are rescues out there for all types of rescues including rabbits and fish. Please make it against the rules to do so. Other sites like e-bay do not allow this. I have never seen any on other freebiy sites eg the freecycle sites, its just not ethical. Here is another site

www.petsireland.invisionzone.com as well as the www.irishanimals.ie site are great.
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 09:37 PM #13
berni

Default offering pets

I would say this site would get some very bad publicity if animals were one of the the recyclable things on it! I for one will un register also. I feel that it would attract a "certain type" of person...if someone wants an animal let them go through the channels if they have nothing to hide.

As regard giving reptiles away jeez get a life please, my 11 year old and his mates would be signing up and getting some of the bigger lads to collect and then where would we be, ??and thats only my son :(
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 10:08 PM #14
majella

I would totally object to animals being on Jumble town, but links to the many good organisations who check out people and homes before they get the animals/birds/fish would be a great idea
Majella
Old Posted: 22-06-2006 , 11:21 PM #15
Mrs Doyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside
especially if the alternative is putting the animal to sleep.
There are far worse things for an animal than a humane passing. Ireland has a terrible record with regard to animals. We produce far more than we have good homes for. Our legislation is dreadful and public awareness is very poor. People need to be responsible, these are living creatures not inanimate "items". There are other resources out there available for people who no longer want their animals. A recycling website is not the place to do this. I would appeal to the people running this site not to allow this. This site is a great resource and I would hate to see it demeaned.
Closed Thread