JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 08-06-2010 , 08:43 AM #61
Mandolin

Default Great catalogue of revamps

Gormal, you've a great collection here, you could nearly publish a book now! Great jobs, you've such a knack for using unlikely things. Thanks for all the ideas. Mandolin.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-06-2010 , 07:39 PM #62
Gormal

Thankyou Mandolin!
Been at the stash again, this time trying to use up the bits I'm not so keen on and a bit that I really like.
1st made some shopping bags [more planned] and a laundry wash bag for washing stuff in, I have a feeling I'll need it when I wash the slippers, it'll catch the bits that fall off. For the tie I just used the sewn edge of the sheet I repurposed earlier......yes I keep everything...lol

2nd I have a family birthday coming up soon so I made a make-up bag and matching toiletry bag. I loved that fabric and really wanted something usefull from it.

3rd Draught excluders one normal stuffed with all the fabric scraps [shredded], then I thought that since we always use that door it's going to be annoying having to replace the excluder all the time so I made one that you slip under the door, by rolling up the outer edges and stitching in place by hand [not my favourite job]. I had to do a bit of shaping at 1 end so the door could close. It seems to be doing the job and staying in place so far.
Attached Images

Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-06-2010 , 10:10 PM #63
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormal
One very dirty shabby chair given a good clean and much paint, new fabric from the stash. Now its nice and fresh again. It actually looks better in the before pic than it actually was.

Just yesterday my sister was saying that her mother in law had some old deck chairs in the shed that she was getting and was planning on painting and replacing the fabric for a lovely shabby chic summer look. We were wondering how to get the fabric on to the wooden bars. I thought of using ties in the same fabric. How did you go about it? They look fab I am going to point her in the direction of this post to see how they will look. Great stuff! I also love the bags, is it hard to get the zip in neatly? Lovely fabric.
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-06-2010 , 12:38 AM #64
Gormal

Deckchair - I used a heavy duty stapler that I picked up in Lidl for €9.99, I wrapped the fabric round 1 1/2 times after stapling before fixing to the bottom in the same way... yes it was a bit fiddley. Although ties might be an alternative if you want to be able to wash the fabric, but would need good strong stitching and knots. I have to make a little headrest pillow with ties at some point too.

Zips..... well I don't know if they're neat lol, but since I've learnt that you attach everything to the zip first THEN sew up the outer edges, it's made my life easier..... I get so annoyed when I forget that gap in the lining your supposed to pull everything through!
Old Posted: 14-06-2010 , 12:31 PM #65
unapam

Default Bargain Tip

Hi, Heaton's are selling a wonderful book called "How to Sew" for 3 euro. Perfect for beginners or improvers.
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-06-2010 , 06:12 PM #66
Gormal

Managed to get a quick peek at the book, good for beginners. You can get free patterns online too, that you print at home. I use the old tv guides for printing them out.
Old Posted: 21-06-2010 , 04:32 PM #67
Gormal

Default Jamjar Storage Pin cushion

I saw this idea in a magazine where they were priced at £48 [Overpriced]. Then I stumbled on it again recently and decided to have a go at making my own.
First you cut a circle larger that the lid, stuff it, stitch and draw closed enough to fit the lid. Glue [I used duct tape] the cushion to the lid around the edges, Then make a decorative border or use a pretty ribbon [haven't any] handstitch the seam slip over and glue in place.

There you have a multi purpose storage jar, for beads, buttons etc...
Attached Images

Old Posted: 21-06-2010 , 05:04 PM #68
Mandolin

Default Multipurpose jar

What a great idea, looks lovely too! Definitely one for doing in front of the telly one night. M.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-06-2010 , 08:49 PM #69
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default Jar pin cushion

Hi Gormal, I love this idea because it is useful and also I would be less likely to lose or forget to use the pin cushion. Have been following your thread but some nights I have fallen asleep in front of the computer. Have been busy working on my garden and revamping some more contributions fron JTowners. Must put up some more photos soon, Eibhlin.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-06-2010 , 12:16 AM #70
Gormal

Can't wait to see your latest marvels Eibhlin
Old Posted: 24-06-2010 , 06:58 PM #71
MisseM

Default repurposed stuff

I love all Your ideas Gormal. Well done!
MisseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-07-2010 , 11:10 AM #72
Gormal

Default Handbag #2 & Beannag

Thankyou all for the encouragement!
I've made another bag from the remnants and only had to buy the zips, thanks to Mandolin for the earrings which are now zip pulls.
Inside it has a phone/pen pocket, side zip compartment and a center zipped section for security as there is only a flap at the top of the bag.

Also made a baking beannag (bandana). I folded a square and stitched it all round the edges so that it's reversible.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 10-07-2010 , 03:47 PM #73
Gormal

Default Messenger bag

this will be the 1st time I have a hat and bag that match...lol. bought zips, 1m ribbon and belt[charity shop] for the hoops. Draughted my own pattern. Inside it has a zip pocket above a 2 section pocket, that runs the length of the side, opposite side has a pocket divided into 3 for pens and my specs/shades. At one end is a bottle holder and the other is the mobile fone pocket.
It has a deep zip closure as well as hook n loop on the flap. Strap is long enough to wear across body or on shoulder. It's a bit bigger that I had anticipated.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 18-07-2010 , 08:53 PM #74
MisseM

Default bags

These are so cool ,fabulous bags.You should open Your own shop..
MisseM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-08-2010 , 02:55 PM #75
Gormal

Default Neck wrap, tee and old perfume bottle

Thanks for the odd wool Unapam here is the 1st thing. A nice cosy neck wrap, it is neat around the neck and is like a tight cowl when buttoned right up, my scarf always tries to get away from my neck so this should be perfect in the winter.
Also been busy altering t-shirts that I bought last year, which were to low cut but had plenty room to adjust, and this one that got wider and wider and wider, tried all the usual things that shrink clothes but this one just defies it all. So I chopped a few inches out of the center, sewed it back together and stitched some stretchy lace [from some pennys undies] down the middle to hide the seam. Another top saved. You could also make a cardigan or stitch a panel on the front and lace it up to look like a corset t-shirt!
My emptly perfume bottle accidentally went into the fire with all the papers, luckily it turned out to be a good thing as all the plastic melted off, I am going to use it as an incense holder but today it's handy for the Marigolds that got trimmed by accident ;o)
Attached Images