JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 02-10-2006 , 09:20 AM #1
chara

Default Message to those who have the authority to make decisions in the recycling arena

To all the relevant authorities in the recycling arena. Could I make you aware of a couple of points.

Any person I know and there are many who are entitled to a waiver on their waste bins, don't bother recyclying because they feel it doesn't affect them.

When I see advertisments on the T.V. for recycling I get frustrated, because I feel they should be more informative, ie; not talk generally about recycling, but show specifically how to do it. For example; one ad. could show Diarmiud putting all the appropriate items into the green bin, and showing the cleaning and drying of them where appropriate. I have seen people put shoes etc. into the green bin. The information on the T.V. should be showing exactly what goes in and in what state the item should be in.

Similarly for composting, drives me mad when the guy just tells us we should compost without giving any specific tips. What a waste of airtime. I am trying to compost for the longest time and would be so relieved to see an ad. explaining what I should be doing, ie; how to do it. What I am doing wrong if I am getting a lot of flies etc. Come on give us the real information in the ads. to show us HOW.

Finally, when Diarmiud talks about the bring centre he should be explaining exactly what can go there, ie; is it soft plastic or hard, do you leave the lids on jars etc. please please. No more sexy recycling ads. Just the hard facts we need. If you don't know what the public needs to know, ask them.
chara is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 30-09-2008 , 10:25 PM #2
bluecurlygirl

I couldn't agree more. With all these wonderful house renovating programmes on why aren't we being shown the most important house renovations. I think the government should
1) Provide every house in the country with a small booklet outlining every option for making our homes more efficient, methods of recycling (paper briquettes etc), ways to make room for this (I have a bag in the kitchen moving to shed shortly for milk cartons - need some shelves!!), how to compost and how to grow our own vegetables too.
2) Comission RTE or someone like that to do a series showing step by step everything that was mentioned in the booklet - go into a real family and turn their life around literally. Hell I'd volunteer!
3) Set up a website giving all the information on it also for people to refer back to and flash it up after every show.
Amazing they haven't thought of it. It's a time of recession and major climate change - in one series they could help us on both subjects!!

Sorry for procrastinating. Didn't know I felt that strong!!
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-09-2008 , 11:03 PM #3
Bettybooboopbedoop

You're right. I said it many times when the ads started. No point telling people to recycle and compost if they don't know where to start. Flirting with your one, wasn't going to explain anything. Bit of craic, i know, Composting not. People need INFORMATION and DEMONSTRATION wherever possible. County councils should hold composting and recycling clinics, i know some hold them from time to time, the effort isn't nearly enough though. People need to information on these topics, and they don't seem to be getting it. Tv is the perfect place for basic information and the county councils could pick up from there with their composting and recycling clinics. On a regular basis, not once in 5 yrs or so. After all, if the people don't know what to do, they can't be expected to do it.
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-09-2008 , 11:07 PM #4
bluecurlygirl

I know I certainly don't do half enough. I want to do more but I don't know how. I'd really love it if someone would show me. Although the JTrs are great with their info and links. Thanks a million guys.
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 12:54 PM #5
anjoy

Default recycling

We have a great recycling depot in Portlaoise, it was extended and improved this year, its spacious and well organized, the staff are friendly and I find the people who go there are also. Its a pleasure to go there, give and get a friendly greeting, maybe a little chat, recycle almost anything in an orderly way. This is far better than having recycling collected and often strewn around the street in the process and is free! I'd nearly like to see a nice coffee shop up there, the atmosphere is so sociable but maybe that would be going a bit far. I'd love to know a bit about composting, especially how to do it without bringing unneccessary insects or vermin around and how to use it for my spuds etc. JT is a great site for encouragement in all these areas, no wonder the AWARD!!!!!!!!! TY JT and JT'rs.
anjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 01:50 PM #6
Knecht

Default Recycling

A slight deviation, it amazes me that when you go to the council "civic amenity " in east Cork there are only so many things you can recycle, but yet if you have a collection they seem to be able to take an awful lot more. Surely its in the councils interest to have more not less recycled.

I think you might find a good web site somewhere with ideas and pointers for composting, or maybe try the gardening section of the local library.

Flys usually collect on discarded kitchen waste, peelings etc, a good covering with grass clippings might help, scrunch up newspapers and try to layer the heap if possible. I use pallets in a square for mine, but have plenty room and am able to move it from 1 square to another after about 6 months to get air into it. If you have someone local with a farm to get manure to add to it it will help with the worm population.
Hope this is of some help
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 01:53 PM #7
erica

Default Waiver

If people don't bother recycling simply because they have a waiver, then they should be charged for their non-recycled waste and the recycle bin should be free.

In the Midlands, non-recycle refuse is charged by weight. There is a standard charge for the bin and in addition, you pay by weight after that. The only way to get people to recycle is to charge them for the alternative! In Longford, you can buy a compost bin for around €20 from the County Council office. The council holds composting demonstrations periodically, though I've never managed to attend one! A compost bin definitely is worth buying though, because it gets rid of most of the non-recyclable refuse. I also have a wormery, which gives fantastic compost and liquid for plants.

Unfortunately, in this country there is no "joined up thinking" when it comes to recycling. There is not enough information/education given and so people just don't bother! I think the Green Schools project is fantastic and our kids will be more in tune with the whole concept that we are, but in the meantime there is far too much stuff needlessly going into landfill.
erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 02:12 PM #8
bluecurlygirl

Default Another bone of contention

We have a black bin (normal refuse) and a green bin (recyling). Our black bin is collected 3 weeks out of four so the recycling bin - yes, once every four weeks. Within 3 days of it being collected I have it almost full again (admittedly some with stuff that wouldn't fit into the last collection) then I have to make several trips to the recycling station in town which is almost always overflowing. Many times I have gone down to be greeted by plastic bags and plastic bottles flying around the place where people have just left them beside the collection centre as there was no room in the proper bins. This recycling centre is directly across the road from the council office. They look out their window and see it - surely they can manage it better! Also, if we're supposed to do more recycling then why not collect the green bins more frequently. I appreciate what was said about going to the centres and meeting people etc but how much fuel is wasted doing that too? It's sometimes hard to know when you're doing right and when what you're doing is counter productive. Hence the need for information.
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 10:18 PM #9
erica

In my area the bins are collected week about, blue one week then black the next week. The council have given the contract for refuse collection to a private company. There is no waiver scheme in operation, which leads to a lot of fly-tipping.
erica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2008 , 10:34 PM #10
Ben888

we have no bins, just our black bins with a recycling center at the end of my road ( on the seanmoore/east link round-a-bout )

they give you all the instructions needed...

handy for pc spares though... >.>
Ben888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-10-2008 , 09:34 AM #11
Kidi

Default Recycling collection

Hi

About a year ago I enquired from the Cork County Council about a so called Free recycling collection. As there are only 2 of us, we do not have a bin collection as I use 1 in town. I was told that the recycling collection was only FREE TO CUSTOMERS - in otherwords we would have to pay the full collection price to avail of this so called FREE service.....

Also, the Civic Amenity site on the Kinsale road has no facility to take Polystyrene - whereas the one in Macroom does. Why is that? Surely if 1 can take it, the other can.....
Kidi is offline   Reply With Quote