Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 09:34 AM #1
tudlytops

Default Recycling charge

Hi! and happy new Year all.
I wander if someone can explain something to me.
When we buy something electric in a shop we pay a recycling charge so why is it that if we get rid of it some time later and bring it to a recycling center we have to pay again?
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 10:25 AM #2
Fries-With-That

Default Recycling

Hi Tudlytops,

You shouldn't have to pay to bring your domestic (this includes electrical items) recyclable goods to a corporation or council operated recycling centre.

These are state funded and therefore don't charge the public again.

On the other hand if you bring stuff to a privatly operated recycling centre you may have to pay a fee depending on the item/items.

I personally don't think that the private operator should be charging the public for bringing items to them.

Regards,

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 10:47 AM #3
tudlytops

Dear Fries,

That is what I though, but I live in Mungret, there is a recycling center that says limerick cooperation and not only do they charge €3 for paper, glass, etc, they have a separate charge for electrical waste.
I thought once we paid for the electric goods recycling tax or levy (whatever the name its still a tax) that would be it, but its not so we end up paying it twice.
Cristina
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 12:04 PM #4
Fries-With-That

Default Someone is making money.

Hi Tudlytops,

As I suspected Limerick county council has handed over its responsibility for waste recycling to a private operator.

"Limerick County Council has awarded Indaver Ireland Limited the contract to manage and operate its three Civic Amenity Centres. Indaver Ireland is an integrated waste management company involved in all aspects of waste management."

I would imagine that if this company can make a profit in county Meath and in county Limerick the respective councils could also operate these centres and provide employment if not make a profit.

Regards,

Fries.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:05 PM #5
tudlytops

Hi! Fries,

And yes I am sure that the councils could also provide the same services, but the truss is that people in the privet sector have lower wages, work longer hours and don't go on strike, it cost less for the government to pass this on to privet companies and it fills some one's pockets, but that is politics.

I don't mind so much the €3 charge for domestic rubbish, but why should we pay extra for electric items when we already paid it at the shops when we bought the item in the first place? This is what I don't understand.
No wander people continue to place electric items in their normal bin.
Regards,
Tudly
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:10 PM #6
Womblemum

Default charge!

Hi
Do what I have done Tudly, bring the item back to either where you have purchased in the first place or to where you bought the replacement and let them dispose of it which they have to under the regulations.
Dolores
Womblemum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:11 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudlytops
Hi! Fries,

And yes I am sure that the councils could also provide the same services, but the truss is that people in the privet sector have lower wages, work longer and don't go on strike, it cost less for the government to pass this on to privet companies and it fills some one's pockets, but that is politics.

I don't mind so much the €3 charge for domestic rubbish, but why should we pay extra for electric items when we already paid it at the shops when we bought the item in the first place? This is what I don't understand.
No wander people continue to place electric items in their normal bin.
Regards,
Tudly

Hi tudlytops,

As Fries says, private recycling companies often charge a fee for recycling items but local authorities should not.

Here's the official line from the Dept of the Environment website:

"Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment (WEEE)
The WEEE Directive requires producers to be responsible for the financing of the collection, treatment, recovery and environmentally sound disposal of WEEE from 13 August 2005. It means that final users of such household WEEE are entitled to leave that waste back free of charge, either to retail outlets in instances where a replacement item is purchased, or other authorised collection points, including local authority civic amenity sites, from that date onwards."

More here:
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/Waste/WEEE/

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:15 PM #8
Womblemum

Default charges

Happy New Year Chris, quick off the mark as usual! Start as you mean to go no?????
D
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:17 PM #9
tudlytops

Dear Dolores and Chris,

I am aware I could bring it back, but in my case the shop is closed down, also are we expected to keep receipts for the life of the item to prof where we bought them.
I can't just go to any other shop and say, here take it you sell them so here you are, so I have to take it to a centre and once more pay for it.

Tudly
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:18 PM #10
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi tudlytops,

Have you checked out the following?

http://www.limerickcorp.ie/OurServic...ectricalItems/

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:21 PM #11
Womblemum

Default more...

I have brought things back to places not purchased but have enquired politely beforehand if thats ok. I have never been refused.
D
Old Posted: 03-01-2008 , 02:36 PM #12
tudlytops

Dear Chris,

Thanks I was not aware of that. Well save it for the future.
Thanks
Tudly
Old Posted: 12-09-2008 , 09:11 AM #13
theoleary

I've noticed B&Q in Mahon Point have a bin inside the door (beside Customer Service) that seems to have all sorts of smaller electrical recycling in it - and I saw stuff in there like cassette players that I know B&Q don't sell, so maybe this is a service they offer - good idea - it would bring more people into their store.

On the other hand - the Cork City Council (or whatever they are called this week) Amenity Centre (ie dump) on the Kinsale Road DOES charge for recycling - outrageous! (Cork County Council sites do not charge for recycling)
===============
Kinsale Road Civic Amenity/Recycling Centre
Members of the public may dispose of the following recyclable materials for a fee of €2.00. All other waste will be charged at the appropriate rate.

* Aluminium Drink Cans *
* Glass Bottles *
* Clean Plastic Bottles (e.g. PET (plastic mineral bottles) *
* HDPE (shampoo bottles) *
* Milk bottles (plastic only) *
* Tetrapaks *
* Cardboard (Boxes should be flattened)
* Newspapers and Magazines
* Batteries
* Scrap Metal
* Waste Engine Oil
* Food Cans *
===================
theoleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-09-2008 , 10:56 AM #14
angling mad

Default recyling

us here in the fingal area have three bins a green, brown and black bin. the green is for paper cans plastic etc and the brown is for garden waste. we now have to pay over a hundred euro a year and they give us three stickers for each bin but we also still buy a bin tag for 8e for the black bin and if we don't pay you don't get the stickers so they won't collect any of the bins even if you have your 8e bin tag on it. why have we to pay to recylce when they are making a profit on recycling our goods so as usual we are been fleeced for supplying them with the materials to do this. would this really encourage you to help the so called enviroment.
angling mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-09-2008 , 11:19 AM #15
misstake

Default recycling

the store where you purchased your new item is bound by law to take your old appliance free of charge But i think all do now anyway all you need is your receipt of new purchase if its a we while later you return the old appliance
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote