JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 16-10-2010 , 04:25 PM #1
foxy74

Default Acorns to Oak trees

I recently picked up some Acorns from Oak trees and thought it would be nice for my 4 year old son to plant them. but is it as simple as just planting them or do i have to do something else. curious
foxy74 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 16-10-2010 , 05:02 PM #2
MuddyWitch

If you plant them directly into the ground they should come up, so long as nothing eats them. But them they could be strangled by weeds, or grazed on by animals.

If you plant them in pots your Little One can watch them grow. This is a much better option, as he can be 'responsible' for them. He can water them in the Summer & feel that they are 'his' trees. You'll be giving him a wonderfull experience & more importantly, a love of Nature that will last a lifetime.

To gereminate acorns need a cold shock. Leave the pots outside, but in a position where they won't blow over or be drowned in the rain. You could pop them on a brick just to raise them that little bit off the ground to avoid the pots becoming water-logged. I'd use a 50/50 mix of soil & compost, to be free-draining & heavy enough.

Oak trees are notoriously slow growing so an old yoghurt pot with drainage holes pierced in would be fine for the first year. In their second Spring, pot them up into something slightly bigger, such as the bottom half of a 2L plastic milk bottle. (Don't forget the drainage holes). They won't need to be planted out till your Little One is at 'big' school, by which time he'll have grown really fond of those trees.

Good Luck & have fun. I'll look for the pics of the first leaves next Spring :-)

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-10-2010 , 08:43 AM #3
foxy74

Thanks for that MW, sounds good.i looked up the web for answers also and they said to place acorns that dont float in water into a ziploc bag and put them into the fridge for about to month to germinate and then plant them in the way you have said. heres hoping.
foxy74 is offline   Reply With Quote