JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-09-2006 , 09:33 AM #16
Bunty

I've been following u'r briquette making, this sounds like the lady who used the milk cartons! I think she probably used the carton as a mould & whatever was in the carton itself, helped the burning process. Best of Luck. B.
Bunty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2006 , 09:44 AM #17
Pearl

Default another type

If you all enjoyed the log maker, here is another type... now you can choose which one you like the most. :)
http://cgi.ebay.ie/LogMaker-recycle-...QQcmdZViewItem
Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2006 , 10:36 AM #18
Patience

I presume that the actual paper briquettes would burn for a while rather than throwing paper straight into the fire Cathy. I'm not sure, but I'd like to clarify this as I'd like a paper briquette machine myself.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2006 , 12:41 PM #19
cathy

Default paper

unless you use another fule with it ,its not the best.
Theres not enough air to burn paper when in brickette.
Would recommend mixing wax, like old candels with the paper.This would encourage it burn better?
Just an idea.
cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-09-2006 , 07:29 PM #20
jumblelover

Hi buffy

I have got that for you. I posted it as a new thread in the The Home - Misc. section with a photo - you have first call on it. PM me your number and we can organise delivery.

See here: http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=2643

jumblelover
jumblelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-10-2006 , 10:40 AM #21
KARAOKE

Default Briquette Press History

Hi to all that are interested in the briquette press.

Someone mentioned they saw it on the late late show,
WELL I hate to say it now but i was that Soldier.
This was something that i saw on the then BBC's Tomorrows World Programm.
From there i went on to contact the Inventor whom gave me permission to have them manufactured here in Ireland.(OOP'S BIG MISTAKE}. The truth of these items are they do work but so must you (very hard). You also need a 40 Gallon Drum 1/2 full of water, a mountain of waste paper, a warm room to allow them to dry for several days and then they burn for approx 10 minutes. An eventful but COSTLY venture for me but I would rather buy a bale of briquette's.

Best of luck to all who tries.
KARAOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-06-2008 , 03:01 PM #22
gabbie

Default paper log maker

funny thing I spent all day yesterday looking for just that, I was beginning to think I imagined the whole thing. I saw it on the net a couple years ago but lost the addy.It seems a great gadget for disposing of waste paper, I'm in Limerick if anyone local has one to give away,
Thanks in anticipation, ooops just saw your reply Karaoke twas too good to be true I appreciate your honesty it wouldnt be much use for my paltry few newspapers.
G
gabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-06-2008 , 03:05 PM #23
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbie
funny thing I spent all day yesterday looking for just that, I was beginning to think I imagined the whole thing. I saw it on the net a couple years ago but lost the addy.It seems a great gadget for disposing of waste paper, I'm in Limerick if anyone local has one to give away,
Thanks in anticipation,
G
Hi gabbie,

Make sure to put a post for a paper-log maker in the Wanted forum at the bottom of the Home Page. You just might get lucky!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 01:08 AM #24
Bettybooboopbedoop

Do you know, these gadgets will still be in use in 20 years time, i'd say. However, i remember my mothers own version when we were growing up. She used to collect all the dust and small bits of coal before filling the bunker and wet them, then she three quarter filled the empty milk cartons or similar containers and when she set the fire she used to put this to the back of the fire. My god they used to set solid and burned for hours, and the hot water was a plenty. The things we do...
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 01:13 AM #25
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettybooboopbedoop
Do you know, these gadgets will still be in use in 20 years time, i'd say. However, i remember my mothers own version when we were growing up. She used to collect all the dust and small bits of coal before filling the bunker and wet them, then she three quarter filled the empty milk cartons or similar containers and when she set the fire she used to put this to the back of the fire. My god they used to set solid and burned for hours, and the hot water was a plenty. The things we do...
Ingenious!
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2008 , 11:32 AM #26
misstake

Default milk cartons

if you use slack instead of coal and your old washing up water it holds the slack together to make a briquette in the milk carton It really works lasts for hours and if you put it on the fire at night it will burn all night
i know i used it before the smokeless coal came in now i cant use the slack anymore
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-08-2008 , 10:56 PM #27
happiness

Default re:paper briquettes

my husband made them years ago but he got an old rectangle baking tin.
any old newspapers he would put and leave in water for a day or two and then pack them in to tin and then he would put a brick on top to weigh it down in the tin so when they dry he take them out and let them dry like turf!
kind regards
happiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-08-2008 , 11:58 PM #28
Bettybooboopbedoop

Isn't it gas, the things we get up to. These days i just put the newspapers into the compost. I suppose it's the lazy way out, but i get some great compost. In our old house we needed to get as much heat as possible from the fire as there was practically no insulation. I'm glad to say the new house (council) has come a long way. We spent 20 years in a freezing house and now if we try to burn coal, as we did the week after we moved in, we had to open windows and doors and take off our jumpers. Good insulation makes it easy to heat as all we burn now is timber and turf. Awww the smell of the turf. Kilk might save me a bit from the bog.
Old Posted: 14-08-2008 , 08:37 AM #29
zuess

Hi Oxendales have one im not sure of the price but it comes with a free can crusher check www.oxendales.ie
zuess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-08-2008 , 11:02 AM #30
Bettybooboopbedoop

The link below is the page it's on.

http://www.oxendales.ie/productcache...sz_asc.html.gz

Price €47.49
Seems a bit pricey, I'd say they're around cheaper than that.