JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Before & After (Upcycling)
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 28-09-2013 , 12:43 PM #16
jeep2

Thanks Pacman, have a sideboard here that needs an overhaul so might just start it off tonight. You did great work with the pieces there, I'd love to be able to do it.
jeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-10-2013 , 08:28 PM #17
noni

Default upcycling chairs

Pacman, Do you recover professionally? I have a suite that needs recovering on a budget, that armchair you did looks great.
noni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-10-2013 , 10:23 PM #18
Pacman

Looking forward to seeing your before and after Jeep. Good luck with your project.

Noni I have only done it for myself and family. I would be happy to give advice if you were going to try it yourself. Send me a message and I'll give you my number etc.
Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-02-2014 , 04:57 PM #19
Pacman

Default Restored oak table

I love this table. It took hours of work but nothing too demanding talent wise. The legs were a bit of a pain to clean and French polish. I forgot to get lots of pics before hand so the photos tell little of what bad condition the table was in.

It's a draw leaf table and the leaves weren't too bad but the center part was covered in hundreds of cigarette burns and oil. I think it had been used as a work bench. I love the clever design and how solid it is. It was a pleasure to see it come back to life. I did French polish on the legs but a clear varnish on the top.
Attached Images

Old Posted: 06-02-2014 , 09:31 AM #20
daisybones

Great makeovers, fabulous transformations! Look absolutely wonderful.
daisybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2014 , 01:12 AM #21
Pacman

Thanks Daisybones :) Next job is reupholstering some Edwardian chairs :-D
Old Posted: 07-02-2014 , 01:55 AM #22
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman
I love this table. It took hours of work but nothing too demanding talent wise. The legs were a bit of a pain to clean and French polish. I forgot to get lots of pics before hand so the photos tell little of what bad condition the table was in.

It's a draw leaf table and the leaves weren't too bad but the center part was covered in hundreds of cigarette burns and oil. I think it had been used as a work bench. I love the clever design and how solid it is. It was a pleasure to see it come back to life. I did French polish on the legs but a clear varnish on the top.
That's one stylish table you've got there, Pacman!

Many thanks for sharing your great work!

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-02-2014 , 01:31 PM #23
Rachelirl

Default restored table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacman

Hi there,

fantastic job! can I ask you, how did you French polish the table, what products did you use etc?

thanks,
Rachelirl
Rachelirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-02-2014 , 01:00 AM #24
melissabell

I can't believe how good the table came up my Mum had that exact same table when we were kids. You've really done wonders. Well done and please keep sharing your before and afters :)
melissabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-02-2014 , 03:10 PM #25
Pacman

Thank you all for your lovely comments :)

Rachelirl:
1. Clean off old dirt, wax, polish etc with methylated spirits and medium grade steel wool. Use an old towel to wipe away the dirt. Keep doing this till all/ most of the dirt comes off.
2. Sand. Firstly with a heavy grade and getting lighter as you go. All depends on the staining and wood. Mine is oak so I could use a heavy grade but if you have a piece without much problem areas you could either just use a lighter sandpaper or a fine wire wool.
3. French polish. I used Rustins clear French polish. You will also need cotton wool, muslin and a jar! You would see how to apply on youtube.
4. I varnished the top in a clear matt varnish as I don't want to have to be too protective over using the table (as with French polish). I can't find the name of that one but any good hardware will advise you.

Hope that helps and PM if you need any more advise. :-)
Old Posted: 10-02-2014 , 01:45 PM #26
Rachelirl

Default Table

Thank you very much. Great to know how to do it - there'll be no stopping me now. :-)
Rachelirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-02-2014 , 09:37 AM #27
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Pacman, you are so right. That is my philosophy too--just give it a go--only way to learn. Did you get a cushion for the back yet?
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-02-2014 , 12:33 PM #28
featherstick

Omg I know where to come for inspiration now. Absolutely love the telephone table and chair!!!
featherstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-03-2014 , 12:58 PM #29
Pacman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
Pacman, you are so right. That is my philosophy too--just give it a go--only way to learn. Did you get a cushion for the back yet?

Sadly no Eibhlin. I don't really want to go out and buy one and my brother is using a small cushion but I still feel it's unfinished. I have the material and still hope to get a cushion back..... some day! :-)

Featherstick thanks a mill :-) Edwardian chairs to follow.....
Old Posted: 03-03-2014 , 01:32 PM #30
Pacman

Default Edwardian Chairs ... a long time coming!

I have these chairs about 15/18 years and have made various attempts to restore them with varying degrees of success. Anyway I've got two done and two to go but am thrilled with them. I'm going to use them with that big oak table I restored :-)
Attached Images