JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 30-12-2009 , 07:00 PM #1
kljm

Default Empty sweet tins

Wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what to use empty sweet tins for, I have a few quality street tins and would love to reuse them. Thanks
kljm is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 30-12-2009 , 07:29 PM #2
thepallasbull

Default use for tins

spray the inside black and put a very fine hole on the front and now you have a pin hole camera . great fun to try ...its one of the earliest forms of photography and works the same as the camera obscura ....try it or google it even ...worth a look
check this link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_obscura
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-12-2010 , 03:02 PM #3
MuddyWitch

Repaint the outsides using the same enamel paints as you would for modeling kits. Bake some cakes. Line the inside of the tins with pretty paper & pop the cakes in.

Xmas pressies 2010 done!

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-12-2010 , 02:19 PM #4
TickTock

I always use old sweetie and bickie tins to store cakes/buns/bickies I've baked. I never painted them as they do the job without the paint, but if you are artistic then give them a new look by all means. I've always had a habit of keeping these tins, great for storing most things, stationery, photos, receipts, recipes you always mean to organise, etc.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-12-2010 , 05:06 PM #5
rumble2

I think the cake idea is good.

Or spraypaint them and line them with some padding and velvet and use them for jewellery, or silk scarves.
rumble2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2011 , 08:37 PM #6
Athy55

Explain how to make the camera obscura again Thepallasbull. I had a look at the link but don't quite understand it. I paint the insideof the tin black and put a pin hole in the side of tin. Then what?? I'd love to try this with the special needs group I work with. Thanks and Regards, Athy55
Athy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2011 , 09:11 PM #7
TickTock

About a year or so ago I watched a fascinating series on BBC called “Genius of Photography”. In one of the episodes they made a room-sized camera obscura and the result just blew me away. You might like to check it out on this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuJ_Jd6Qgyo
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-01-2011 , 10:53 AM #8
mollie47

Quote:
Originally Posted by kljm
Wondering if anybody has any suggestions on what to use empty sweet tins for, I have a few quality street tins and would love to reuse them. Thanks
These can be recycled at any recycling centre where they take metal. We do it every year.
mollie47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-02-2011 , 01:14 AM #9
miss lilac

Default empty sweet tins

When my children were younger they got so much entertainment from the upturned old biscuit/sweet tin and a wooden spoon !!! Would bang away making their " music" for hours on end....( Hint - make sure you have earplugs first) Great fun !! You could also fill them with soil and make miniture gardens like a friend of mine did. little pebbles for the pathway and little miniture mirrors just showing out of the soil for a water feature. Then little animals, small branches of trees etc....to make the rest of the garden. Kids in playschool especially would love doing this. Its messy but still artistic !! Maybe you could have a word with the local kindergarden or creche and suggest this to them for the spring !!
miss lilac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-02-2011 , 06:17 PM #10
kljm

Thanks guys for all the replies, especially like the idea of making a miniature garden with the children. And also using them as cake tins. Thanks again
kljm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2011 , 02:02 PM #11
Mandolin

Default sweet tins

I stood up a few biscuit tins (and lids) as reflectors behind my seedlings on the window board, so they grow up straight (for once!). M.
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-03-2011 , 09:16 AM #12
Maggiebenny

Default Propagator

A friend gave me a great tip, use a cfl bulb and cable, punch hole in the side of the tin, connect cable to light fitting inside the tin, turn the tin upside down and plug in to socket, put seed trays on top and you will get them to propogate much quicker than leaving them on the windowsill. make one for your gardening friends as an easter pressie!
Good luck.
Maggiebenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2011 , 12:16 PM #13
Proteavalley

Default tins

i store all my Christmas decorations in tins which I covered and made all Christmasie one year.
Proteavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-03-2011 , 10:22 PM #14
anyoldwood

Default Sweet tins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kljm
I have painted mine in bright colours and used them for storing bits of cotton/threads, nails, screws etc.
anyoldwood is offline   Reply With Quote