JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:14 PM #1
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default how to remove silicone from ceramic floor tiles

Has anybody got any hints for removing silicone from white ceramic floor tiles? I keep thinking the floor is clean and then as soon as a bit of dust lands or someone walks on it, the stain is visible again. Tried scraping it off with a blade but residue still left and don't want to damage surface. Tried the website 'tipking' that sparkwell gave me before but no answers. I am thinking maybe petrol or lighter fluid but don't want to make things worse. All help gratefully received, thanks Eibh.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:18 PM #2
Recycler100

Glad u asked the question Eibhlin, been meaning to do something about it myself, it's most annoying. Hope there are some Aggie and Kim's on here who have that secret potion.
Recycler100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:26 PM #3
Gormal

I've read that WD40 works....never tried it though I usually do what you did scrape as much as poss off, rub at it with my finger or wearing gloves and if that doesn't get it all attack it with brasso ( as it got the sticky stuff off the windows from the stickers) or you could try a good nail varnish remover.

I wonder if a baking soda paste would work... you've got me wondering now or even something as simple as a pencil eraser the white ones?
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 08:28 PM #4
Scrabble

Have you tryed rubbing it with a dry cloth really hard so that it can nearly peel off.
If that doesn't work theres a product called Sticky Styuff Remover that I bought from the Betterware catalogue. It claims to remove;
Gum
Tar
Adhesive
Wax
Crayon
Wet paint
Grease
Labels
Grime.
I used it to remove labels and it was brilliant. They have it in the new catalogue and its 6.49.
Hope that helps
Regards
Scrabble
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-04-2010 , 09:50 PM #5
dee1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
Has anybody got any hints for removing silicone from white ceramic floor tiles? I keep thinking the floor is clean and then as soon as a bit of dust lands or someone walks on it, the stain is visible again. Tried scraping it off with a blade but residue still left and don't want to damage surface. Tried the website 'tipking' that sparkwell gave me before but no answers. I am thinking maybe petrol or lighter fluid but don't want to make things worse. All help gratefully received, thanks Eibh.

Apparently unibond do a silicone remover,it comes in a tube like the silicone one,and can be found in diy stores.
If you have a spare tile and some silicone,then maybe you should pour some over it ,let it dry and then try the different ways of removing it,rather than trying something that could leave you in a worse situation,with the prospect of maybe having to remove the floor tile itself,worse case sinario.
dee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-04-2010 , 11:03 PM #6
jennie

Try a bit of white spirits if you have some to hand, it's what I used to remove varnish from the kitchen floor tiles, also removes a load of things so it's handy to have around. Between using it to take stuff off cars & off the tiles I wouldn't be without it!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-04-2010 , 08:36 AM #7
Mandolin

Default Silicone stains

Hi, I've used that unibond silicone remover stuff and it works alright, it smells a bit like vinegar though... maybe vinegar might work if you leave it on long enough. Mandolin
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2010 , 04:35 PM #8
mondubics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gormal
I've read that WD40 works....never tried it though I usually do what you did scrape as much as poss off, rub at it with my finger or wearing gloves and if that doesn't get it all attack it with brasso ( as it got the sticky stuff off the windows from the stickers) or you could try a good nail varnish remover.

I wonder if a baking soda paste would work... you've got me wondering now or even something as simple as a pencil eraser the white ones?
While WD40 might work, there was an email circulating a few months ago, claiming it would do things like cleaning glass shower doors and windows - it doesn't it just smears the mess.
I used the sticky stuff remover (its a spray) and yes it does work on labels, but plain cheaper white spirit does the same job.

If you get one of those blades for cleaning ceramic hobs, that might do it, with some elbow grease.
They come with a holder/handle that keeps the (ordinary) blade at the right angle so as not to scratch the surface. Can also be used to get paint of windows very successfully.
mondubics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-04-2010 , 04:59 PM #9
chucken1

Once youv'e got it scraped off with a razor blade take some flour in a cup, add some water to make it into a ball of dough. Use the ball of flour to rub off the silicone residue. No Smell, no damage, no problem. Let us know how it turns out.
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2010 , 09:25 PM #10
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default Hurrah! Success.

Hi all, finally got the silicone off the floor. Bought a tube of silicone sealant remover in Woodies, put it on, left for two hours and it all cleaned off. You have to wear gloves as it is toxic. Smells a bit like coffee I thought and my daughter thought it was like butterscotch angel delight!! Anyway it did the job and the floors are clean.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-05-2010 , 09:37 PM #11
welder9

Default stubborn silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhlin ni Sheambrai
Try silicone removal gel/paste.Try it in a small area first.it should be available in a decent hardware store.I have some somewhere in the shed.If i find it ill send you the name and manufacturer.
welder9 is offline   Reply With Quote