JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 18-01-2009 , 03:28 PM #31
cheddarlane

Default moss??

I can just imagine it!!Bits falling off! think I would use a docking leaf!! or random crisp packet left by some picknicers!!! hahaha

I am potty training this week and the thoughs of moss!! a baby wipe is a god send!!!

If I were to be a celeb I would never take part in that I am a celeb... get me out of here! No way!!
cheddarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-01-2009 , 03:31 PM #32
cheddarlane

Default esb

was he not connecting a wind turbine or something to get electricity?

sure he could pop in next door to his neighbour and think outside the box! woudn't be his bill! I am such a cheat!

I'd be like the joanne off the Apprentice. LOL
cheddarlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-01-2009 , 10:42 AM #33
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabsdot
There was a woman, in New York I think who lived for a year without buying anything except necessities.
Necessities were mortgage, heating bills, electricity etc, Food was basic, no treats, alcohol etc. She didn't buy any new clothes. All entertainment was free stuff, museums, library etc. No eating out etc.
It was very interesting to listen to her. She wrote a book about it.

Hi Gabsdot, She was a teacher from Bristol and she lived for a year on £1 a day. Her book is called "How I Lived a Year on Just a Pound a Day". She was also interviewed on that program where yer man lived for two weeks for free. She went to a lot of art galleries and book launches, poetry readings etc. where food would be provided and things like that. It was very interesting to listen to her. We should all give it a try for a week and see how we get on!
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2009 , 12:17 AM #34
Rufus Fornow

Default living for free

Ithink they are called "freegans"
Rufus Fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2009 , 07:18 PM #35
lislaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwave
No need for loo roll! Before we shredded trees for toilet paper we used damp moss. I've been caught short in the woods and it really is a lot better than paper I'll tell you. Natures own baby wipe as you get a wash into the bargain.

They used damp moss in all them posh 16th Century tower houses, knowing that is what put it in my head while stuck in the woods.

Just check it for insects first!

;)

Apparently menustrating women used to use moss and I believe it also has antiseptic properties.

I think he's a very brave man myself. But I'll bet he'll be surprised at how little he actually needs to survive. For anyone interested "Into the Wild" is a great film about something not a million miles away from this subject and the book is also a very good read. Very thought provocating.
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2009 , 10:32 PM #36
Headwave

Somebody was watching Victorian Farm, and paying attention! :P
Headwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-01-2009 , 11:17 PM #37
BCD

I have to say I do admire him..A few christmas' ago my dad bought me the "EARTHS CHILDREN" collection by author Jean M.Auel...Its about the Neanderthal and jeez it just blew my mind...facinating books...I cherish them dearly,keep them tucked away and often find myself going back to them when i've run outta books to read..I'd love to try and live free for a year.."live off the land!!" but alass i'm not too sure kids and hubby would be too impressed!!
BCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 11:08 AM #38
lislaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headwave
Somebody was watching Victorian Farm, and paying attention! :P

You know, I think it was more like one of those survivorman programmes - off in the woods; surviving on what's around you.

Although Victorian Farm sounds very interesting, must keep an eye out for that one!! :)
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 03:48 PM #39
needmoresleep

thats really interesting. Is there any update on him or information?
Sounds like a good challenge.
And has to be do-able.
You think about people in the out back in austraila alot of them live on their land etc.
needmoresleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 03:52 PM #40
Ocker

Thats right needmoresleep. In the outback they live off the land. Dont even need a ute as long as the liquor stores delivers the Fourex.
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-02-2009 , 11:09 PM #41
jenniferalan

i'll do some googling tomorrow and find some updates! would be interesting to see how hes getting on, wonder does he have his own website...
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-02-2009 , 05:54 PM #42
Ecoprincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
I was watching Seoige yesterday and there was a guy on it that has set up a goal for the new yr - to live without money for 12 months. He grows his own food, owns a bike for transport, runs his own electricity, uses free wi-fi for his laptop(clever!), collects wood for heat and he lives in a trailor. Not sure of his location but i know he's from Donegal originally.

Impossible?

Did it for the first 4 years that I came to my farm. I traded by exchanging things like a days work for the use of a tractor and trailer etc but money never dirtied my hands until one day I decided I needed a Harley Davidson, infact life wasnt worth living without one.

I still live on €25.00 a week. I have a boyfriend, he has not got a problem with my lifestyle and yes we go out and yes I pay my own way.
Ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-02-2009 , 03:58 PM #43
frantasia

Living on €25 a week - Tell us how, please!

Any money saving tips appreciated - is it €25 disposable? - as in, are bills etc. covered in some other way? Or is it €25 in total?

either way, it sounds fascinating, I'd love to know a bit about how you do it.
frantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-02-2009 , 04:02 PM #44
jenniferalan

wow 25euro a week, how is that possible?
jenniferalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-02-2009 , 07:00 PM #45
Ecoprincess

Default practice makes perfect LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferalan
wow 25euro a week, how is that possible?

€25.00 x 52 = 1300
=

HRT = €360.00 Hormone Replacement Therapy = ovarian cancer 18 years ago

ESB = €300.00 use a meter then you know what you are using

Clothes = €260.00 - second hand and exchange with freinds

Yeast = I sell potchin to pay for yeast for my bread and brews

Seeds = I sell some herb plants and produce to pay for more seeds

Phone = paid for by farm income

Goats = concentrates paid for by selling their babies, cheese and milk to friends

Vehicle = have a company van and the firm supplies fuel

ducks and bantam chickens - sell eggs and babies to pay for food.

Bees - sell honey to pay for food and hives etc, also make beauty creams, shampoos and candles from wax to pay towards beekeeping stuff etc use the stuff myself to keep myself beautiful LOL

Fuel have my own turf and planted a wood for fire wood.

Water - use rain water I have mains connected but dont use it

I get a whole pig from my friends and sell half to pay the whole price for my pig.

I give the vet produce from the garden and bottled fruits - I do a nice line of things like black currents in sloe gin, or rhubarb wine, or elderberry champaign its all nice stuff and he gives it to friends for xmas or eats it himself. He has worked for fresh milk, cheeses, and help with his herb garden.

The vet shoots and gives me a hole deer every year which I exchange for a half a sheep which he butchers himself. I take half my deer and give the other half to the pig people who give me as abut quarter of a cow. I do my own fishing, River - fly and bait, off the harbour, beach cast and go out in afriends boat, I also go to the local loch for brownies. I give some to friends if I have a glut and they come around with their gluts and we all glut out together LOL

I had a fight with the local fox hunters coming into my valley and interupting my life and blocked the lane so they could not get passed, we made an agreement, no dogs, I must be notified and any help I need given ie getting in my stock, cat, dog, etc. they must shoot any mink they see, AND any phesants, ducks, rabbits, that they shoot are mine NO shooting the hares.

There is one rule that I have never regretted, if you sit at my table and eat you do a job for it, even if its washing up and putting away, or weeding you do a job. If you stay over you do a job a day and lend a hand with the everyday tasks like lighting fires, milking etc. But you also get to have a bevvy at night too :)

did I miss anything out - anything important that is

Cat food = €150.00
I love him to bits the dog gets scraps, and I love her to bits too

I suppose I'm jsut waistfull and indulgent with the rest of the money

Leave your purse at home, that includes the credit card, dont impulse buy.
Ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote