Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 16-08-2009 , 02:09 PM #1
chakes

Default Curio Shops/ Junk Yards

Hi All

Have any of ye been watching Kirstys Homemade Home recently?

I'm so envious off all the junk yards, shops and second hand shops where she can pick up really great items.

Do we have any such places in Ireland?

Anytime I go travelling I always have my eyes peeled but never come across anything. If I do they are always closed.

Any help would be appreciated.
chakes is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 16-08-2009 , 08:28 PM #2
TeresaH

Hi,

I don't know where in the county you are, if you are ever travelling through Laois/Tipp on the N7

There's a shop in Mountrath that sells secondhand everything and sometimes they have some new stuff, it's at the traffic lights on the main road, called Anything Goes. In Roscrea there is a similar place on the side of the carpark behind Tescos but I only see it open now and then and they don't seem to have much in it.

Hope this is of some help!

Teresa
TeresaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-08-2009 , 09:48 PM #3
saoirsetom

Default curio shops

hi i've being looking for the same thing for quite some time now have been to any thing goes in mouthrath a few times, but not worth the visit, all the second hand items are selling at new prices, too expensive, pm me if you ever find somewhere. thanks.
saoirsetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-08-2009 , 11:42 PM #4
minnie pal

Default car scrap yard

behind the fancy sewage huts on the harbour front in dunlaoghaire there is a scrap yard for cars, i believe people go there if they have cracked or broken a side light for example. Its an amazing place so take a camera!
minnie pal
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-08-2009 , 10:47 AM #5
TickTock

Default Curio Shops / Junk Yards

I'd be interesting in finding some of these places in Dublin as well. The junk shops I knew in Dublin years ago are upmarket antique shops now!!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-08-2009 , 10:29 PM #6
rosheenjones

Default curio shops / junk yards

If you are living in a rural area watch out for parish field days I've come across heaps of curios for very little money, and you are also supporting local charities.this is the time of year for them as well
rosheenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-08-2009 , 11:26 PM #7
cavalin

my mum tells me theres one in islandbridge in dublin its got old wood ,toilets reclaimedwood etc.
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-08-2009 , 11:25 AM #8
Izzyizzy

Default JUnk yards/ shops

Hi I love the programme you are talking about and I too wish we had places like that in this country but we are on the right track with Jumbletown too. There is a place in Waterford city called The Salvage Yard but I think you have to make an appointment to get in there as they actually closed last year. Huh That doesn't make much sense. I know they had some fab stuff Good luck.
Izzyizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-08-2009 , 05:57 PM #9
ninafive

Cavalin- That place you are talking about on Islandbridge is clled Macs Salvage- and thats what it is- fairly much architectural salvage though- lost of doors, vintage/ antique radiators, cast iorn baths- but they are horrifically expensive- i was there the other day for a nose about and saw 2 old dentist or barber chairs going for e500 each.....they havent really got that much, they're at the entrance to the Memorial Park if your interested...
ninafive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-08-2009 , 11:02 PM #10
wheelbarrow

Default junk yards

We had Pawn shops, Second hand shops, Junk shops, Junk yards, Scrap yards
All over Ireland in ever Town only a few Years ago they all closed down when the boom came
Then came the car boot sales. They got overrun by traders.
I have not seen a genuine car booter in Ireland for years. I was in England on holiday last Year and I visited a lot of good car boot sales
If you drive out the country on Sunday you will find plenty genuine car boot sales
Like Jumble Town people with unwanted stuff, they charge very little, they only
Want to make the entrance fee. I wish we could have something like that here
I was in the US on holiday 3 Years ago. They leave all there unwanted stuff on there front lawn on Saturdays People just come and take what ever they want
wheelbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2009 , 07:56 AM #11
ninafive

there really ought to be a central forum or website where car boot sales/ sale of works can advertise....maybe we should start one here on jumbletown...
it would benefit both those going out for the day with their boots full to sell on their bits and pieces and people like me who just LOVE going rummaging!

Ill show you my list if you show me yours!!

I often go on a Satuday morning to North Cumberland St Market.
This is the real deal. Its been operating off Parnell St for probably a hundred years. Its also known as The Hill Market. You need a license to trade here- so you cant drive up and sell from your boot as such, but ive found some really great things here for next to nothing, and you can haggle your ass off. Its a bit of an eyesore to some- as on first approach it looks like somebody just emptied a skip onto the street, but to me - i get the shivers of excitement every time i turn the corner! Best to get there early, they start at 7am -but by 11am the sellers are starting to pack up, and if its raining you wont see much action at all. This is proper heads down, asses up rooting territory!

If im free on a Sunday, i might head out towards Balbriggan.Theres a turn off to the right as you come through the village of Balrothery, just 2 miles south of Balbriggan. About a mile and a half up this road, theres a great big market/ car boot sale.Theres a 2 euro entrance fee per car for browsers (im not sure what the car boot sellers pay per car) Dissapointingly, on first approach it appears like its all market traders selling dvds and tools (how boring!) and people touting duty free cigarettes, (actually its quite funny to see how quickly the dvd stalls can pack up when they get a whiff of the gardai, they can do it in 15 seconds flat!!) ... but if you pass these guys and head down the back, theres a large area of car booters, and ive picked up the odd nice find here. It will certainly keep you busy hunting about for an hour or two.

The Black Horse Market on Jamestown Rd. in Inchicore is a waste of time in my opinion- all traders of new knick-knacks and bits of multi coloured plastic stuff that you really dont need. Theres a couple of people with stalls that are selling antique curios, (i saw 2 taxidermied birds going for e50 the pair)
but what galls me is that they are advertising this place as a car boot sale- and when i was there last Sunday- there wasnt a car boot to be seen. In fact the warehouse place at the rear where the car booters sell from wasnt even open! They have a website up, and have ads on the radio, but i really dont know why car boot sellers are'nt flocking here-especially as its a covered area. Maybe the rate is too expensive- or maybe there just is'nt a community of car-booters in that neck of the woods...

Oh- nearly forgot, Herman Wilkinson auction rooms in Rathmines, (they have viewings on Wednesday afternoons and the auction is on a Thursday morning can be a real treasure trove if you have the time to get down there...lots of landlords looking to fill bedsits with furniture, but also antique dealers looking for a bargain. Ive gotten 1930's angle-poise lamps here for less than a fiver, and have a veritable forest of them at this point.....love it!

Okay guys! Tell me your secret junk yards/ second hand shops / curios places and car boot markets! Id really like to hear about once off Sale-of-Works (as they used to be known?) and Church Whist-drives!!
ninafive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2009 , 01:42 PM #12
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin - No Car Boot posts/threads, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninafive
there really ought to be a central forum or website where car boot sales/ sale of works can advertise....maybe we should start one here on jumbletown...
Hi Everyone,

Sorry to report that we've had to close our once very active Car Boot thread in the Green Tips forum because of the libellous content of some of the posts. Please see my post at the end of the thread...here:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...t=6394&page=10

We have left the above thread in the Green Tips forum for information purposes but we are not interested in carrying any more posts relating to car boot sales.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote