JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 12-04-2009 , 12:08 PM #1
chakes

Default Carpet to keep down weeds - yeah or nah?

I have been told two different things.

Some advise using old carpet to help keep weeds down while others advise the carpet is bad for the soil...any advise...I have a lot of weeds and grass from a neighbouring field smothering my newly planted hedge.

No money for expensive weed prevention methods and dont want to use weed killer chemicals.

THANKS
chakes is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 12-04-2009 , 02:50 PM #2
smokeyeyes

Hi chakes, haven't heard about using carpet in flowerbeds for keeping down weeds. But I am using it to cover a compost heap and have to say it's been very successful. It is helping to rot the compost much quicker and I have ended up with lovely rich black compost, so I don't imagine it would harm the soil. Why not try it on a small patch first and see what happens?
smokeyeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-04-2009 , 05:48 PM #3
paprika

I've read about the carpet as weed controll in one of the Amateur Gardening issues. I think they recommended it, but only certain type of carpet as the others rot and fall apart. I will have a look what they said exactly, cause don't remember now.

Regards,
p
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-04-2009 , 09:45 AM #4
lislaw

I remember watching that Alan Titchmarsh programme good few years ago where they were overhauling a garden for an environmentally aware family. They used old carpet instead of the usual black weed control sheeting.

The fact that the carpet would rot away eventually was seen as a good thing, because by that stage the plants would be well established and would not need so much protection from weeds etc.

Failing that you could always try black bin liners cut open along the sides. That's what I used when I started out and it worked fine for me.
Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-04-2009 , 09:31 PM #5
candle

If anyone wants to try the carpet ideas - I have 2 lots of bedroom carpet to dispose of. approx size are 9ft x 12ft. One of the carpets has a rubber backing the other a felt type. It'll save me paying to dispose of these if anyone wants them let me know!
candle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-04-2009 , 06:42 AM #6
chakes

Thanks for all your replies. Gonna go ahead with the carpet. Its only for a while til the hedge gets established.
chakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-04-2009 , 11:53 PM #7
pete210

Default hey

i havent herad of using the carpet but there is a produt caller terrim the is used is is like a thin carpet , ite generally used on roadway and the like , u put it down under the stone and it stops weeds from making contact with the ground underneath and if the roots cant get to soil they cant grow
pete210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-04-2009 , 08:14 PM #8
Knecht

Default Carpet

I have used it very sucessfully between my rows of raspberry canes, but you have to be careful, I would only use canvas/felt backed carpet if you are leaving it for a long time as I have found anything else will disintegrate into small pieces and it takes longer to clean them up than to dig the weeds. Wool is best if you can get it. I would not recommend using foam backed stuff or underlay.
Knecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-04-2009 , 08:51 PM #9
paprika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knecht
I have used it very sucessfully between my rows of raspberry canes, but you have to be careful, I would only use canvas/felt backed carpet if you are leaving it for a long time as I have found anything else will disintegrate into small pieces and it takes longer to clean them up than to dig the weeds. Wool is best if you can get it. I would not recommend using foam backed stuff or underlay.

That's it, that was in the magazine, to use wool carpet! Cause the others rot to pieces.
I haven't tried it myself, and I have only bits of carpets with the foam backing, but I also have some terram, will try that.
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote