Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-05-2009 , 02:19 PM #61
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinseven
hi, I'm getting married in july, my aunt is making the wedding cake. The hotel don't have a cake stand to suit the cake she's making. Does anyone know of where you can buy or rent a cake stand at a reasonable price? I need a two tier stand.
appreciate any suggestions

Actually, why not just use two cake boards trimmed with fancy wrapping paper and an acrylic cake separator or something like that?
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-05-2009 , 02:22 PM #62
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkwell
Have a look at ebay. I just googled cake stands and found some there.

Yeah but did you see the postage costs? Some of them are charging €35 for postage when the cake stand costs €17-18!!!!
Old Posted: 27-05-2009 , 02:33 PM #63
bluecurlygirl

Default How to make your own cake stand

Here's a link:
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ake_stand.html
Old Posted: 27-05-2009 , 03:01 PM #64
bluecurlygirl

Default Diy

More links for making your own cake stand:

http://www.projectwedding.com/post/l...stand-pictures

These are made from old vases, egg cups, plates....
http://www.craftynest.com/2008/10/re...d-cake-stands/
Old Posted: 09-06-2009 , 07:50 AM #65
Taja

Default Help!

Does anyone know were you can buy sugared almonds for wedding favours ive got all the stuff to make them and was even in england the weekend just gone and could not find 1 place that sold them? just curious if anyone would know were u can buy them from? either Dublin or Northen Ireland?

Thanks
Taja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-06-2009 , 09:12 AM #66
Fizzywitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taja
Does anyone know were you can buy sugared almonds for wedding favours ive got all the stuff to make them and was even in england the weekend just gone and could not find 1 place that sold them? just curious if anyone would know were u can buy them from? either Dublin or Northen Ireland?

Thanks

Hi,

There is an old fashioned sweet shop on the main street in Enniskillen
http://www.mrsomalleys.co.uk/
I have just checked the Enniskillen website and they do have them.

But I use this shop in England and they post over here. They are lovely people and nothing is too much trouble for them!
If they haven't got any in stock, they will try to source for you.
http://www.somethingsweet.co.uk/

Hope this helps
Fizzywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-06-2009 , 02:24 PM #67
bluecurlygirl

http://www.diywedding.ie/candypress/...?idproduct=119

Cheapest sugared almonds I've found so far and there's a jt member running it as far as I know.
Old Posted: 09-06-2009 , 03:09 PM #68
Taja

Default Sugar Almonds

Thanks so much! ill check them both out and see what i can get Thank you
Old Posted: 12-06-2009 , 10:07 AM #69
jackiet

Default Budget wedding and bridesmaid dresses

Hi

Fashion Express Dresses has just launched a wedding and bridesmaid brochure, all bridesmaid dresses only 150 euro. You have to email them and they will email the brochure to you fashionexpress@live.com, their website is http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/Fashion-Express-Dresses they also sell debs and evening dresses.

To recycle after sell the dresses on buy and sell or donedeal for 50% of the price, bridesmaid dresses would only cost you 75 euro's then.

And they have a sample dress that you can view to see the quality.
jackiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2009 , 11:27 AM #70
cinderella

Default Cake & Wine

WEDDING CAKE:

I got married 1.5yrs ago and as a cost saving measure we decided to have 2 fake tiers and only 1 real for our wedding cake. This was great, as there was enough to go around on the night, without being left with loads to bring home the next day and feel that you HAVE to eat it! :-)
I used a lady based in Glenageary who does it as a hobby more than for the money, so you're not going to some company chain that is thinking of the pound signs when you utter the word 'WEDDING'. I can forward her number to you if you would like to contact her - pls send PM.

WINE:

We decided to go down the 'corkage' route and bought our wine in Tesco's. I'm not sure if they offer the same deals now, but we bought wine that was on offer at the time (obviously tasting it first) and then got an additional 5% off for every 6 bottles of wine we bought. Even with the corkage fee at the venue, we still saved money, AND were given about 12 bottles back the next day that weren't used. Now that's honesty for you....

Plus, you're gaining clubcard points when in Tesco's....
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-06-2009 , 10:39 PM #71
Taja

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublinseven
hi, I'm getting married in july, my aunt is making the wedding cake. The hotel don't have a cake stand to suit the cake she's making. Does anyone know of where you can buy or rent a cake stand at a reasonable price? I need a two tier stand.
appreciate any suggestions

Hi, i was going to make my own wedding cake as realised icing was really easy and i told my mum in law and she went and baught me a cake stand im not sure were from but ive decided to get a cake from marks and spencers cos its cheep and they look nice without the hastle so next time i talk to her ill ask her were she got it from and let you know what kind of stand do u want like a traditional 3 tier stand as now u can get the stands that go in a row kind of thing, but also marks and spencers sell the tiers roughly £6 for pack of 3 so u could put it on a cake board with fancy paper on the bottom as someone already sugested but depending on how many tiers ur cake has on how many packs of the tires ud need to buy.

Also just to add tesco now sell the wedding cakes as noticed last week and there cheeper than marks and sparks but bit smaller.
Old Posted: 12-06-2009 , 10:47 PM #72
Taja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiet
Hi

Fashion Express Dresses has just launched a wedding and bridesmaid brochure, all bridesmaid dresses only 150 euro. You have to email them and they will email the brochure to you fashionexpress@live.com, their website is http://stores.shop.ebay.ie/Fashion-Express-Dresses they also sell debs and evening dresses.

To recycle after sell the dresses on buy and sell or donedeal for 50% of the price, bridesmaid dresses would only cost you 75 euro's then.

And they have a sample dress that you can view to see the quality.

I was in dublin few weeks ago and went to shop called Alexander Bridal as my friend was picking up her daughters conformation dress, and as i was walking out they had a rail with about 20 dress's on from ages 4 to 11ish and all the dresses were reduced to 25 euro and my neice is coming to my wedding and didnt have her dress so baught one just hoping it would fit and looks perfect on, its was a propper flower girls dress and only cost 25 euro so if anyone only having 1 bridesmaid then deffo worth a look!
Old Posted: 13-06-2009 , 12:40 AM #73
kila2008

Regarding the cake stand...is it necessary for you to have a space between your tiers? My sister made a 4 tier wedding cake recently for her boyfriend's sister and instead of using a cake stand, the different tiers were stacked directly on top of each other. The lower tiers were dowelled (she used white plastic dowels she bought online but perhaps you could use timber dowels??) in order to support the next tier overhead. Each tier has its own cake board but just the type that are cover in tin-foil type stuff. She was putting black ribbon around the tiers so she also covered the edges of the cake boards in thinner black ribbon.

I have to say that it looked absolutely fabulous and I would usually be a criticising cow...lol!
kila2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-06-2009 , 10:32 PM #74
Taja

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Regarding the cake stand...is it necessary for you to have a space between your tiers? My sister made a 4 tier wedding cake recently for her boyfriend's sister and instead of using a cake stand, the different tiers were stacked directly on top of each other. The lower tiers were dowelled (she used white plastic dowels she bought online but perhaps you could use timber dowels??) in order to support the next tier overhead. Each tier has its own cake board but just the type that are cover in tin-foil type stuff. She was putting black ribbon around the tiers so she also covered the edges of the cake boards in thinner black ribbon.

I have to say that it looked absolutely fabulous and I would usually be a criticising cow...lol!

I got my cake stand today... well it wasnt a cake stand it was 4 tiers in a packet that u just put on top of each other but ive seen the ones ur on about with no tiers just the cake and they do look really nice but my bf is old fashioned and wants tiers but they had the price on and it was 6.10 euro from birthdays for a pack of 4 tiers but sure if you go North ull get them cheeper these were just plain white but they have some in marks and spencer which i thorugh was nice for the same price
Old Posted: 14-06-2009 , 04:21 PM #75
David=Theresa

Default wedding dressess for the party

i recently stumbled upon a site called bridesfirstchoice which allows u to rent all the dressess for the day which i thought was a great idea..at i would assume a fraction of the cost
David=Theresa is offline   Reply With Quote