JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 20-03-2009 , 06:23 AM #1
carine_s

Default Reducing using toilets water

put a bottle of water in your toilets tank.
you will save 5000 to 7000 litres of drinking water every year.
Even if in Ireland we don't pay water, it is still a valuable ressource to protect.
carine_s is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 20-03-2009 , 10:34 AM #2
jennie

The water charges are mental, I used to have to pay it in the Co Co office & the price of it if you went over the set volume in the time frame!

Can't imagine the cost if they introduce the domestic rates!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-03-2009 , 11:21 AM #3
Bibi

Default Saving Water & Other Tips...

Hi,

Been doing this in all cisterns for years & meant to post it - I think I invented the now almost standard dual flushing system !!!! Imagine the amount of water it would save if we all did it. Just fill a litre/two litre bottle depending on size of cistern, pop it in & away you go....Be sure to place bottle on opposite side from water flow to prevent obstruction & maybe an overflow & waste of all the water you saved!!!

Also in the same area...squish/squeeze your toilet rolls before you put them on the dispenser - if they are a liitle flat, paper will not come rolling off as quickly as if they are round...especially if you have little ones in house.

Oh, by the way use only half your dishwasher tablet each too - does the job just as well....

When you receive type written letters, carefully cut out name/address sections from envelope & store them to use as labels on SAEs (for JT & otherwise). All you need is a glue stick - very handy & saves having to shred addresses before envelopes go to recycling.

Cheers
Bibi
Bibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-03-2009 , 12:58 PM #4
insanechicken

Ditto with washing powder/tablets. Unless you have very dirty laundry use half a tablet as opposed to the two tablets that they recommend!!

Used to always chuck in recommended amount but discovered this simply by reducing amount used to avoid the smell of the detergent on my clothes - it seems to work fine. just use a little bit of powder at a low temp or a half tablet unless you have heavily soiled items! works a treat saves you money and reduces the green price too ;-)

Even if you prefer the smell of detergent on your clothes experiment with the amount used and see what you think!
insanechicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-03-2009 , 03:22 PM #5
lisaphelan

Default water

im not sure how much of a stupid question this is but:
water is pumped to my house via electricity, yes? well i dont have a tank in my attic so i guess so.
so do i get charged on my esb bill for the electricity used to pump the water to my sink/toilet?
lisaphelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-03-2009 , 04:38 PM #6
Bibi

Default Water...

Hi Lisa,

Are you sure there is not a storage tank in attic? ?? Would have thought that a certain amount of water would be stored for domestic usage. In any event you will be billed for all usage of electricity to pump water/otherwise.
Kind regards
Bibi:)
Bibi is offline   Reply With Quote