Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 05:55 PM #1
jennie

Default Takers using "Name in the Hat" Phrase

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADMIN
"Givers are not permitted to post "names-in-the-hat" or raffle-style ads."

"However, we've noted that some Givers post so-called "names-in-the-hat" or "raffle-style" ads, with the laudable intention of allowing as many people as possible to express their interest in an item. In some cases, this has led to ads/threads with pages and pages of posts from potential Takers. From now on, these types of ads are prohibited; in other words, no Giver's ad will be allowed to have more than 10 potential Takers."

From a JT point of view from what I can see from there, it in no way says that a Taker cannot reply with the phrase "Throw my name in the hat" , Many JT's do use this reply & they get it thrown back at them by another JT when they reply "No names in the hat anymore, it's banned"

So could Admin please clarify in black & white if takers can still use the phrase, as we all know it's banned if your a giver who is posting "names-in-the-hat" or "raffle-style" threads.

I'm sure a lot of people would like to know, rather than a non Admin member telling them they can't say it because it's banned!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 06:26 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi jennie,

When a potential Taker writes "Throw my name in the hat" on an ad/thread, they are presuming that the Giver is going to choose one Taker from a list of 10 max. This may not be the case, as the Giver may opt to give to the first respondent on the ad/thread or indeed the first PM'er. Then again, they might decide to give to the person who lives closest or who can collect the soonest. When all is said and done, the Giver decides the giving criteria.

So, "Throw my name in the Hat" and "Next in line" aren't really appropriate responses. "I'm interested and can collect (at a particular time and date)" is more appropriate.

It's true to say that Givers who decide to choose from the list of ten potential Takers are, in a way, organising a limited form of raffle. Admin's post prohibiting "raffle-style" ads specifically refers to those Givers who want to let their ads run for several days beyond the list of 10 responses to give more people a chance to respond to an offer.

Prohibiting raffles means that items are passed on as quickly as possible -- there should be no deliberate delaying of the Giving and Taking process.

Prohibiting raffles also reduces the chance of fake items being posted and Members being strung along for days by the fake poster. (By the way, fake posts are few and far between on JumbleTown.)

Please see the full text of Admin's Support Forum post below.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

------------------------------------------------------

Full text of Admin's Post prohibiting "raffle-style" ads.

Hi Everyone,

Givers are not permitted to post "names-in-the-hat" or raffle-style ads.

From the inception of JumbleTown in 2006, our policy has been that Givers are free to pass on an item to whomever they like, be it the first or tenth respondent on their ad/thread or even the first or tenth potential Taker who sends them a PM (Private Message). This policy remains in effect.

However, we've noted that some Givers post so-called "names-in-the-hat" or "raffle-style" ads, with the laudable intention of allowing as many people as possible to express their interest in an item. In some cases, this has led to ads/threads with pages and pages of posts from potential Takers. From now on, these types of ads are prohibited; in other words, no Giver's ad will be allowed to have more than 10 potential Takers.

A maximum of ten potential Takers seems like more than enough and Admin will close any ad that has this number even if the ad has been open for less than the 3-day period in which Givers are expected to respond to expressions of interest from potential Takers.

Thanks for your co-operation in this matter.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=32493
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 09:28 PM #3
jennie

So, "Throw my name in the Hat" and "Next in line" aren't really appropriate responses. "I'm interested and can collect (at a particular time and date)" is more appropriate.

So basically your saying they aren't the most appropriate answers, as better could be chosen, I agree, but you by no means said the phrase "throw my name in the hat" is banned as many JT's keep saying to those that use it.

I am fully aware of everything you said but it isn't the issue of raffling I'm focusing on here, just the use of the phrase in question.
I'd just like to see it said - are jumbletown members banned from using the phrase "throw my name in the hat" yes or no??

If it is a case of that it is, could it be added to the original admin post on names in the hat, to put a stop to members telling other members that use the phrase is banned.
Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 09:57 PM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie
I'd just like to see it said - are jumbletown members banned from using the phrase "throw my name in the hat" yes or no??
Hi Jennie,

The answer is "no" because the "Names in a Hat" scenario may prevail for the ten or so potential Takers. It's up to the Giver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie
If it is a case of that it is, could it be added to the original admin post on names in the hat, to put a stop to members telling other members that use the phrase is banned.
I admit there may be some ambiguity in Admin 's post if it is not read fully and understood properly. The simple fact is that there is no point in banning a commonly used expression. The issue is that Members should realise that although Givers can choose from ten or so potential Takers, we don't allow raffles which would result in threads as long as a string of sausages.

I've corresponded with one Member about posting reminders on threads about this policy and the issue seems to have been resolved.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-03-2009 , 10:05 PM #5
jennie

Thank you Chris, that is all I wanted to know as I think it very intimidating & rude to other users when members go off at takers saying it's banned & they are not allowed use the phrase.

As you said jumbletown is a friendly place, but it doesn't appear that way to a new member who logs after reading through the support fourm, then their first reply to a giver thread is "throw my name in the hat", only for another member to come straight back & say it's banned after the new member not reading this in the support forum.

So once again Thank you Chris for taking the time to clarify that wee issue as it had been bugging me the past ages!

Regards,
Jennie :)