JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 19-10-2008 , 06:37 PM #16
Stuarty

I also live in the sticks, my eco friendly solution in my Jack Russell (who you might remember also assists in deterring junk mail posters). She catches any that try to move in usually just twice a year, at the beginning of the winter when the weather starts to turn and when we get the first really cold spell. Our neighbours have a cat and they would say that cats are fab at pest control as long as you dont overfeed them, (there is a healthy balance)
Stuarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 10:00 PM #17
kiara

A few years ago at my mums, a mouse strolled into the sitting room not a bother to him but when he spotted that there was actually people in the room he ran up the pipe of the hoover which had been left inside the door! He ran all the way down to the bag so he was easy to get rid of, I don't suppose this happens too often though! There are traps that just trap them instead of killing them which I would prefer. The ones that kill them are horrible it's not like mice are out to do us any harm! Rats... well thats a different matter there's no way I'd be setting them free! A new housing estate being built near us disturbed loads of them and when I saw one in my back garden I couldn't get my hands on poison fast enough! Kiara x
kiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 10:52 PM #18
gillo

Actually mice ARE quite a health hazard, kiara. They urinate up to 9 times aminute, I remember reading somewhere. Don't fancy that running around my house thank you very much! Anyway, if you don't kill them they'll only come back in to nest and they have up to 15 babies in a litter and I'm not sure how many litters in a year but I'd say it's more than one!
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 11:18 PM #19
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillo
Actually mice ARE quite a health hazard, kiara. They urinate up to 9 times aminute, I remember reading somewhere. Don't fancy that running around my house thank you very much! Anyway, if you don't kill them they'll only come back in to nest and they have up to 15 babies in a litter and I'm not sure how many litters in a year but I'd say it's more than one!

Really! 9 times god yeah they must be constantly pregnant lol! I wouldn't want them in the house either I just hate the thought of them being decapitated!
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 11:51 PM #20
magiceight

Aw... I love mice :(

Re: those plug-in mouse deterrents - be careful if you've got goldfish or rodents like rabbits, hamsters etc! They can kill them. We lost several fish before we copped what was going on, and I know someone who had two rabbits die.

Re: Peppermint oil - if you've got cats, don't use essential oils around them - it can seriously poison them, their livers aren't able to metabolise the phenols in the oils.

I've heard that about mice and rats not inhabiting the same space.... I'd rather have the mice, rat urine is dangerous.
magiceight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 11:57 PM #21
misstake

Default mice

yes i love mice also They are so cute but they never visit me awwwwwwwwww lol i got a dog maby he dont like them and yes mice and rats never mix if you have one you wont get the other maby i have rats lol ok i like them to and released some at mums my brother caught Ok he was not happy
misstake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-12-2008 , 12:24 AM #22
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceight
Aw... I love mice :(

Re: those plug-in mouse deterrents - be careful if you've got goldfish or rodents like rabbits, hamsters etc! They can kill them. We lost several fish before we copped what was going on, and I know someone who had two rabbits die.

Re: Peppermint oil - if you've got cats, don't use essential oils around them - it can seriously poison them, their livers aren't able to metabolise the phenols in the oils.

I've heard that about mice and rats not inhabiting the same space.... I'd rather have the mice, rat urine is dangerous.

Yes rat urine is extremely dangerous! When I was in school, a girl in my year lost her father to wields disease! It was was from coming into contact with rat urine, he was a young fit strong man and it killed him! Rats are dirty disgusting creatures but mice I don't know they are cute... still don't want them in the house though! kiara x
Old Posted: 14-12-2008 , 03:23 AM #23
bluecurlygirl

Default Death to them all

Sorry I know it's strong but that's how I feel - by any means possible. I didn't used to feel that way. A few years ago I was renting a private owned house that had holes in the walls where the previous tenant removed the extractor fans and the landlord was in America..... long story! Anyway, the mice moved in - at a ferocious rate. We had traps down. Couldn't put a dish down for a second or a mouse would jump on it and eat the food in front of us. They pulled the stuffing out of my pillow as I lay on it. I couldn't move with fear. They will not do that to me again. First sound of a mouse and the pellets come out - sorry.
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2008 , 11:20 AM #24
Bubbles2

Default Pesky mice

I am having a good old laugh here, last year I woke during the night to the pitter patter of four tiny feet. I refused to sleep in the bedroom till my hubby got rid. Next day he found the mouse in the litter bin which had a plastic bag as a liner so he duly pulled the bag out of the bin, tied it, opened the window and put it out on the path. He went out the back door to collect the bag to release the mouse - only to find the bag had blown away in the wind. So if anyone finds a plastic bag with a mouse in it - they don't need to return it thanks!!!!!!
Bubbles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2008 , 01:11 PM #25
MandyD

I once caught a mouse in my OVEN!!! lol caught him with a piece of chocolate in one of those plastic eco-friendly mouse traps. Set him free in the garden.

Around this time of year, there are bound to be lots of lil meeces runnin about... I don't really mind them to be honest. I have a snake who eats mice so I guess it's a good thing they don't bother me!
MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2008 , 01:50 PM #26
Kernow

Hi all, Please do not use the sticky pad type 'humain' traps. They are evil and should be taken off the market. I don't like killing any animal, so I tried them. The Idea is great the mouse walks over the pad, its feet gets stuck you pick up the trap, take it outside squirt a bit of washing up liquid on its feet it jumps of and lives happly ever after.........so the makers would make you beleve. The reality is.... (DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE A SENSITIVE NATURE) The mouse walks over the pad, gets its feet stuck, struggles (as you would) getting more than just its feet stuck. When I went to pick up the trap, the mouse had got its eye stuck in the gunk, which during the struggle had been pulled out of its head, its mouth and nose had been glued up with the gunk, I originally thought it was dead, but on closer inspection it had just been mumified in the gunk, and was still alive. I ended up drowning it in a bucket of water, to put it out of its missery. What a horrible way to go. I removed the rest of the traps.
Kernow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2008 , 01:54 PM #27
MandyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernow
Hi all, Please do not use the sticky pad type 'humain' traps. They are evil and should be taken off the market. I don't like killing any animal, so I tried them. The Idea is great the mouse walks over the pad, its feet gets stuck you pick up the trap, take it outside squirt a bit of washing up liquid on its feet it jumps of and lives happly ever after.........so the makers would make you beleve. The reality is.... (DO NOT READ ON IF YOU HAVE A SENSITIVE NATURE) The mouse walks over the pad, gets its feet stuck, struggles (as you would) getting more than just its feet stuck. When I went to pick up the trap, the mouse had got its eye stuck in the gunk, which during the struggle had been pulled out of its head, its mouth and nose had been glued up with the gunk, I originally thought it was dead, but on closer inspection it had just been mumified in the gunk, and was still alive. I ended up drowning it in a bucket of water, to put it out of its missery. What a horrible way to go. I removed the rest of the traps.

OMG the poor poor thing!!!
MandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-12-2008 , 03:31 PM #28
gillo

At least the traditional traps are instantaneous, that just caused unnecessary suffering to both the mouse and the person trying to free it. I'm afraid I just don't like the creatures, and any that come into my house will be killed if it's left to me to deal with, but I don't believe in being cruel to any animal and would use traditional traps
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote