Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 01:25 PM #61
nanonano

Default electricity meter

We have it as well but they are about 200 euro to get in the first place and they are only economical if you use a certain amount of electricity.
For someone that recently moved they should check their meter as you can't take them with you. Then the ESB charges you again to install a new energy saver meter! Happened to us. I complained, complained and kept nagging until they did it for free. The person in our old house is lucky however I don't know if they charge again.
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:35 PM #62
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Yeah I never heard that about cutting up a credit card before and I worked for a credit card company for 2yrs 3mths in the past and thought I had heard most things about them...lol

Well maybe I got it wrong then (wouldn't be the first time) about it being a crime and all but check it out. It'd be hateful being charged for an indefinite peiod of time because you can't produce the card you want cancelled!!! Also, BBC Radio 2 have a guy on who gives money saving tips. He was on about not filling your car as well. Fill it only half full, empty your boot, make sure tyres are properly inflated, remove roof racks etc. Stripping down any unnecessary weight means your car burns less fuel. Also, (apparently) if you fill your tank in cold weather you get more fuel for your money as the fuel condenses in the cold!! Also, apparently, and I suppose it depends on the mileage you do over the year, but the above steps are guaranteed to save you a few hundred quid over 12 months!
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:41 PM #63
betsy10112000

i use a site that has loads of money saving ideas and tips.it really is a good site,it is an english site so the special offers they have are for uk only but the ideas and tips are fabs. i use it all the time

its www.moneysavingexpert.com

hope this helps some people im more than sure it will
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:46 PM #64
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by betsy10112000

Betsy, this is the guy who is the money saving expert on BBC Radio2. I think he's brilliant and I just wish Ireland had someone like him. He gives great tips and sites for anyone living in the uk. But his general stuff is priceless too.
Old Posted: 14-01-2009 , 03:51 PM #65
betsy10112000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecurlygirl
Betsy, this is the guy who is the money saving expert on BBC Radio2. I think he's brilliant and I just wish Ireland had someone like him. He gives great tips and sites for anyone living in the uk. But his general stuff is priceless too.
yep i totally agree,he is good.
they have notice boards and threads and people add their own money saving tips,they are great also.i could spend hours each night reading stuff about how to save money and hey it all adds up
Old Posted: 19-01-2009 , 09:03 PM #66
punkrock06

Quote:
i use a site that has loads of money saving ideas and tips.it really is a good site,it is an english site so the special offers they have are for uk only but the ideas and tips are fabs. i use it all the time

ya its a brill site always on it the oldstyle board and occasions board are great u could get lost on that site for hours:L:L
they have loads of clips on youtube as well
Old Posted: 29-01-2009 , 11:30 PM #67
jenniferalan

Hey guys

Just found out an excellent way of saving money on petrol

The website is www.pumps.ie

Simply type in ur area eg galway city and check the cheapest rates of petrol in that area before u leave to get petrol.

Yesterday it was 101.9c in Galway and my partner got petrol for 96.9c as I had checked the site before we left the house, i would def recommend it!
Old Posted: 29-01-2009 , 11:38 PM #68
bluecurlygirl

I just paid 101.9 for unleaded today and found one in Cavan town for 96.9. I'll be checking this from now on Jennifer. Thanks a million.
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 02:41 PM #69
lislaw

Two tips that have come to mind today :

Instead of buying anti bac cleaning sprays fill up the empty spray bottle with a cap of bleach and water. Works just as well for literally a fraction of the cost. If the smell of bleach doesn't float your boat add a few drops of essential oil, orange or bergamot are good for the kitchen and have antibac properties of their own.

If you're making your own gravy keep the veg and use it as a base for soup the next day. I usually add any left over spuds and veggies as well.

Lisa
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 02:46 PM #70
lislaw

erm - just a note on all the links that have been posted on this thread. I think one of them may contain something unsavoury. I'd opened them in separate windows as I went along to have a look later. They are the only thing different I've done today on this pc. A setup.exe file has just tried to run, luckily with vista you get a warning when anything unexpected happens so I was able to cancel it.
Lisa
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 02:54 PM #71
jenniferalan

If u are going out - into work etc and u have all the neccessities bought already for the week (food, petrol etc) (excluding lunch money etc for that day) then don't bring ur purse with u.

I've tried this 2 days a week when i work evenings and i have saved so much money and have gotten to enjoy window shopping! I just keep change in my pocket 3 or 4 euro and then i def can't buy anything on impulse yet its enough for a cup of tea etc if u meet someone u know

try it, just leave all the bank cards at home and see how much u save!
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 02:56 PM #72
lislaw

yep, like that one. I've done that a few times - by accident!! - and it is truly amazing how many things I would have bought which I either did not really want or need
Lisa
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 04:04 PM #73
bluecurlygirl

That's a good one actually. Also, we're a curly family (hence the name!). My sister spent a fortune on a bottle of stuff in the hairdressers to spray on her daughters hair in the morning to detangle it (I think it was €10 for a small bottle - may have been more). I couldn't believe it. I bought a bottle years ago, it's for spraying plants and it cost less than a euro. I put a squirt of conditioner in it and top it up with water. Shake the living daylights out of it every time it's to be used and hey presto - much easier to brush. Of course my sister didn't believe me and continues to buy the expensive crap. Some people think you have to spend big money to get the results (and a hairdresser told me the stuff she's buying is the same as what I'm doing anway!). So a way to save money and to stop kids with curly hair screaming (or at least not quite as loudly!).
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 04:27 PM #74
Stuarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lislaw
Two tips that have come to mind today :

Instead of buying anti bac cleaning sprays fill up the empty spray bottle with a cap of bleach and water. Works just as well for literally a fraction of the cost. If the smell of bleach doesn't float your boat add a few drops of essential oil, orange or bergamot are good for the kitchen and have antibac properties of their own.

If you're making your own gravy keep the veg and use it as a base for soup the next day. I usually add any left over spuds and veggies as well.

Lisa

You can do this with the more concentrated version of cleaning fluids, floor ones are more concentrated than the spray ones. If you dilute them according to the directions on the bottle they work fabulously exactly the same as the store bought sprays, except you havent paid the extra money and you dont have the bleach smell... (I use dettol 4 in 1 with the apple scent and the bottle is the last one I finished )
Old Posted: 30-01-2009 , 04:58 PM #75
cinderella

Default Coupons

Quote:
another thing i do is:

Search engines: i search for money off coupons.I get loads and loads of printable money off coupons online from loads of different sites.This could be anything from 50c of butter or 2 euro of cereal or 5 euro off razor blades (things that most people use everyday) and you just print them off and take them with you when you do your shopping,simple :)

i also get lots of freebies online - from toothpaste to sanatary towels,creams and clothes.again search engine for freebies and away you go,all you have to do for 99.9% of them is fill in your address and they send them out to you FREE,i dont have to sign up to any of the poxy scams like get them free if you rent 5 dvds etc(you get my drift,lol)

OH I LOVE THE INTERNET

Tried your tip on the 'money off coupons' however I'm mainly getting sites for the US (i.e. dollars). Can you provide website details that you visit?

Many thanks for sharing these tips!
Closed Thread