JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 06-03-2009 , 10:39 AM #106
Dimples1553

Default My answer to a cleaner healthier environment!

I reluctantly joined Melaleuca.com 2 years ago.....Initially I thought their products were expensive and then realised that they weren't as my shopping bills reduced dramatically! i had decided to go Eco as this planets problems are rapidly accelerating out of control.
All their products are Eco friendly and of top quality.
I especially love their soaps and shampoos as well as their cleaning products.
To be honest i do not find their washing products brilliant...ok for coloured clothes but for items like chefs jackets....a 'no no'!!! Their washing up liquid is fantastic! Better than any I have ever used before including say the likes of well know general products that we all have bought in our supermarkets.
Their cosmetics are fantastic. Checkout their products and get back to me with any questions! I am not vying for business here...I just love their goods!
My advice to folks who wish to sign up is to spread the costs around with say 3 friends.....become a member to avail of cheaper costs and share out the products with your 3 friends.
Am sure you will be thrilled at how much you will save on all these toxic cleaning products that are in our supermarkets!
And remember Vinegar and Bread Soda are the most fantastic cleaning products! Cheap to buy and use!
Dimples 1553
Dimples1553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2009 , 12:04 PM #107
colmsmum

Default Vinegar

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a large bottle of white vinegar? They only have small bottles that cost a fortune in the supermarket & doesn't go far with the use it gets here.

Thanks & regards,
colmsmum.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2009 , 12:50 PM #108
bluecurlygirl

Bread soda is a good degreaser and is an old fashioned cleaner that is environmentally friendly.

it's a water softener.

It has many other uses to numerous to mention here

has anyone any other uses to tell us[/quote]

Hiya - I think if you read this entire thread from beginning to end you'll find about a million uses for Bread soda listed on it and a lot of them I didn't know. I've typed up a list at this stage and printed it. It's hanging up in my kitchen and gets referred to often. I clean my electric cooker and my range with bread soda, washing up liquid and lemon juice and my face with bread soda and sugar!!
bluecurlygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2009 , 12:51 PM #109
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmsmum
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a large bottle of white vinegar? They only have small bottles that cost a fortune in the supermarket & doesn't go far with the use it gets here.

Thanks & regards,
colmsmum.

Would your local chip shop buy you some in the cash and carry?
Old Posted: 06-03-2009 , 01:21 PM #110
colmsmum

Never thought of that, thanks for the tip.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-03-2009 , 02:33 PM #111
Dimples1553

Default Large Gallon Bottles of Vinegar

Have you any friends who work in catering? If so ask them when they go to the Cash & Carry i.e Musgraves to pick you up a bottle there! Or ask wherever you work as if it's an office they must have cleaners etc andsee if your firm have a Cash & Carry Account set up.

Hope this helps!
Dimples1553
Dimples1553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-06-2009 , 02:48 PM #112
sandramcs

Default green cleaning

I am exhausted! have just spent the past few hours scooshing vinegar on windows and washing paintwork and dusting and hoovering and generally getting ready for an invasion due a week today. Nothing like visitors to get the sleeves up. When I was at home many moons ago vinegar was the liquid of choice for washing the windows, and that happened every week. My mother would die if she could see the windows on our house. vinegar is also magic in the bathroom, including in the bath. I recently got a couple of books on Vinegar and Bicarbonate of soda - baking soda here in Ireland. I have begun cleaning my teeth with the bicarb, and I do think I see a difference in colour. I put it in the washing machine and it seems to have cleared out the residue of soap. It has been used in the dishwasher and takes away the smell, and the dishes and cutlery were gleaming. I need to keep my feet as cool as possible or I run the risk of eczema outbreaks, and decided to give them a bicarb soak yesterday. yep, it works. I know from reading through all the entries that there are a lot of you who are well acquainted with the benefits of said cleaning agents. The little video put up by Chris is also to the point. I want to get bigger quantities, now that I have this bee in my bonnet. I have googled but to no effect, so will see if Musgraves will look kindly on an innocent member of the public looking for the above two items, and borax. I forget why borax, and also soda crystals. Then when all the existing cleaning agents are finished, no more of them. Well, maybe a pack of fairy non-bio in case. So, thanks for all the tips and I hope it all helps to reduce somewhat the amount of chemicals flushing down the tubes. So now, a cup of tea is in order, and then maybe another couple of windows....
sandramcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-06-2009 , 02:52 PM #113
Mickey

I'll PM my address and directions, come over here for a cup of tea and I'll be very glad to watch and learn how you get the windows all gleaming :oD. My notepad is at the ready - lol

I am also being invaded next week and am completely ashamed of the state of the place!

Well done on what is definitely a monumental task
Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-06-2009 , 02:58 PM #114
bluecurlygirl

Good woman sandramcs. I hope you had a chocolate bikkie too after all that. Definitely deserved. I'm tired just reading about all your work. If you want to come and do my windows you're more than welcome!
Old Posted: 03-06-2009 , 03:16 PM #115
Fizzywitch

Funny you should mention about the bicarb on your teeth. I noticed a couple of weeks ago that I had the start of staining on one of my teeth and used bicarb on my toothbrush, gave them a scrub and it came off after one go!

Pah! to all these miracle teeth cleaning chemicals!

It doesn't taste too bad either, just a bit salty.

My favorite is to clean the drains with it. Shovel a few teaspoons of bicarb down the plug hole, add a good glug of vinegar and then pour on boiling water from the kettle and watch it foam!!

And yes, why is white vinegar so expensive now, are the taking advantage of all of us who have started using it for cleaning as it used to be sold really cheaply!
Fizzywitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-06-2009 , 03:34 PM #116
sandramcs

Well, nice to hear from you all. Tea is drunk, no chocolate allowed in the house at the moment, long term reduction plan for a wedding outfit. Federer doing not too badly on the courts, and I will just clean the car windows for safety reasons before tackling the dinner. I don't usually have leisure for cleaning marathons, but have stopped work till August so am enjoying doing it in manageable spurts. I will keep you posted on Musgraves prices.
sandramcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-06-2009 , 09:57 AM #117
bluecurlygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
The cleaner your home, the more toxic it may be...

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...033#post217033

Aw thanks Chris. I knew I was tolerating the mess for the good of my family ;-)
Old Posted: 27-06-2009 , 06:48 PM #118
nanny56

Default natural cleaning alternatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by unapam
Hi, I have tried the salt on my patio weeds and....ALL GONE!
Don't forget the loo. Throw a good dollop of white vinegar in for a few hours or overnight. Follow that when you'r ready to start cleaning with a handful of baking soda. It will fizz up and you can scrub to you hearts content knowing that you are not contributing to the planets pain! (and it doesn't cost the earth)
nanny56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-08-2009 , 12:11 PM #119
Gormal

Hi all very helpfull post keep it up.

Lemon juice is great for bringing your white tshirts back from the brink. I noticed that my other halfs were looking really dingy from sweat stains and probby deod too, this was after washing!!!
So I filled a bucket with hot water and lemon juice popped all his tees in there, soaked overnight and spun and hung on the line. Dazzling.
He's delighted. As am i as I don't have to listen to the complaints about cheap powder...etc or it's not a brand name.........blah blah
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-08-2009 , 12:53 PM #120
tasmin

Default dental tablets

hi all,
i found that if you use two dental tablets on stains with hot water the stain vanishes like magic.

they are great for the bath and loo too.

might try them on my tiles next :-)
tasmin is offline   Reply With Quote