JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-10-2009 , 06:52 PM #31
theoleary

Yes - Cork Co Council at Raffeen now charges €3 entry fee, even if you are just recycling. Plus €7 per bag of "waste".

We go once a month now and so spend €10 for one bag of waste plus all the recycling.In time we should get it down to one visit every 2 months I hope. Time wasted I suppose but beats paying the pay-by-weight plus standing charge.

Note: you must NOT be charged anything, even the €3 entry fee, if you are recycling only electrical items - that has already been paid for under the WEE legislation. Cork CC in Raffeen know this - make sure your site does too!
theoleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-10-2009 , 09:02 PM #32
cavalin

our local recycling centre (baileboro) defiantly charges even if its electric goods.You have to pay to get out of the gate regardless of what you've recycled???
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-10-2009 , 09:17 PM #33
theoleary

Interesting - I think it was the Manager at Raffeen who told me that because we have already paid a recycling fee (through the PRF levy) they were legally obliged to accept electrical and electronics for recycling without any extra charge. Now I can't quote you chapter and verse on that but I will make some enquiries. Alas I doubt I will get much satisfaction - I have emailed and phoned both Cork City Council and Cork County Council with questions regarding waste and you either get a "full" message on the phone mailbox or just no reply to emails.
As far as I know the WEE/PRF arrangment was so that the wholesalers and retailers would not have to have their shops cluttered up with returned recycling.
I don't know of any other country that charges for recycling!
Old Posted: 09-10-2009 , 10:12 PM #34
cavalin

l have said this to the guy who works there and he just maintains he was told no matter what you have you pay 3e.He wasn't impressed at all.You pay to lift the gate and he can't over-ride it.
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-10-2009 , 03:18 PM #35
cascade35

Default Molloys recycling centre cashel road clonmel

In Clonmel we have a private company that takes the following items for free

drinks cans
glass
cardboard
newspaper
car batteries
small electrical items
grass
hedge clippings
these are the items i can think of but i know there is 15 free items

its 50 cent for a bag of recyling and 3 euro per black bag of rubbish

We also have a council run site that takesall electric items for free.

Futher more the council are doing one off collection of bulk items from peoples houses for asmall fee.

Council used to provide a skip once a year to council estates for residents to dump big items in.
cascade35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-10-2009 , 04:01 PM #36
theoleary

According to the WEEE ireland page:
Collection

Since the introduction of the WEEE Regulations 2005 Consumers can bring their unwanted electrical and electronic equipment to their local Civic Amenity centres for recycling free of charge.

The WEEE Ireland map gives details of Civic Amenity centres nationwide with WEEE collection facilities......

----
according to the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) Ireland site:
Consumers: Consumers should no longer simply throw away old electrical and electronic equipment. They should be able to return it on a 1:1 basis to shops when purchasing a new product, as well as to other collection points, both free of charge.
--------

Interestingly - Cork Co Co website states that

"The fortnightly recyclable collection service is free, whilst the charge for ordinary waste collection is extremely competitive..." - this implies that we could leave out the recycling bin for them every 2 weeks, even though we no longer pay for the "pay-by-weight" - must try that - should reduce my trip to the dump a bit as the majority of our recycling is cardboard paper and plastic bottles.
Old Posted: 10-10-2009 , 09:14 PM #37
saoirsetom

Default recycling

OH MY GOD.................
here in portlaoise the recycling centre has introduced a charge of 3euro to enter the centre no matter what you want to recycle,

even if its an electric item that you have already paid a charge when you purched it. or if you want to recycle used clothes that you think will do for some poor unfortunate that can't afford new clothes.

i was in belfast the other day and saw a centre that will pay you for your used clothes and other items why are we getting soooooooooooooo greedy in ireland i thought we were known for the nice friendly irish didn't know we were so mean..................
saoirsetom is offline   Reply With Quote