JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 09-01-2010 , 07:35 PM #1
splitterung

Default Garage conversions - Tips?

hi gang, i need some serious help.... as you might know i play in a band... we are using the garage as a rehearsal studio at the moment, but theres one major problem... the ceiling is leaking a little.... the roof is made up of chicken wire, above that theres some sort of black thick plasticky covering (which has some holes in it where the drips are coming from) and above that there is the galvanised sheets.

so as you can imagine it's not insulated and it's not great for keepin the heat in.... now as it's january and i havent a penny to spare i was wondering 2 things, the first was .... does anyone have a cheap and practial way of me patching the roof without killing myself by falling through the roof? and 2 does anyone have any spare materials that i ? could take off their hands to use to patch or recover the ceiling of the inside of the garage, now i dont mind what it looks like, maybe a roll of thick plastic thats sitting in the garage or something like that, if you have something then you'll know what i mean.... i would be so gratefull for the help if anyone can...and thanks you so much in advance

now i've built a dividing wall using spare bits of wood recycled from anywhere i could find it, i've also gotten a ton of cardboard boxes that i'm gonna use as some insulation so i'll hopfully have some great pics for you all soon but for now i'll put up the couple of photos i have of what i've done

send me an oul p.m if you've got any materials or ideas that might help ma in my "make the garage a bit warmer" Quest
Attached Images

splitterung is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-01-2010 , 02:31 AM #2
lolo1

Default leaking roof

Hi There.Just wanted to say i was told years ago that empty egg boxes are a great cheap easy way of insulating and soundproofing a concrete wall and if you put sheets of plastic on the walls first then the cardboard boxes flattened with the egg boxes stuck on it will never rot as the damp cant get at it or get in side as for the roof a realy quick solution for the time beeing would be to spread plastic sheeting on top of the galvanised sheeting and secure it tightly so the wind doesnt blow it off . Then when the weather is better cover the top of the roof with hay or straw and plenty of it and cover all of that with felt and with theplastic sheeting under the stray or hay it will stop any leaks again also hay and straw are great for insulation aswell and a big bale is very inexpensive I hope this helps a little and i love the job youve done so far Kindest regards Lolo
lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote