JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 01-07-2008 , 10:51 PM #1
Betty Boo 69

Default Bumping wanted ads more then once a day!!!

Hi all,

Ok well this has being bugging me for a while now. The wanted section is full of people wanting and hoping to be lucky enough to receive some unwanted goods from another jumbletown member and lets admit that there is quite a few wanted ads on there so it really annoys me when some members personally bump their own wanted ads up twice or even three times a day. I feel this is really unfair on the other members with wanted ads. I mean of course we would all like our wanted ads to be answered but why do some ppl feel that they should have priority over others? Anyone agree....?

Regards,

Betty Boo 69
Betty Boo 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 01-07-2008 , 11:04 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty Boo 69
Hi all,

Ok well this has being bugging me for a while now. The wanted section is full of people wanting and hoping to be lucky enough to receive some unwanted goods from another jumbletown member and lets admit that there is quite a few wanted ads on there so it really annoys me when some members personally bump their own wanted ads up twice or even three times a day. I feel this is really unfair on the other members with wanted ads. I mean of course we would all like our wanted ads to be answered but why do some ppl feel that they should have priority over others? Anyone agree....?

Regards,

Betty Boo 69
Thanks for the post, Betty Boo 69.

Here's a reminder (for some folk) of our "One Bump A Day Keeps Admin Away" post, which is located at the top of the Wanted listings:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=136132

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Do the Bump! It's Koool!
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 02-07-2008 , 07:42 AM #3
carissa

hi betty, i agree, i have two items in the wanted section, i bump them once a day, sometimes by the end of the day they are 7 pages back, when i see people bumping several times a day it does annoy me a bit, there is no need to do it really, if someone has an item to give all they have to do is use the search forum, if someone is looking for it it will pop up....
carissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2009 , 10:17 PM #4
colmsmum

Bump this!!!

I've noticed a few members are still bumping more than once a day. I have to agree with the above members, it is very annoying and unfair to others when a small minority won't follow the rules. Everyone should have an equal chance of their ad being seen.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-03-2009 , 11:42 PM #5
Moeby

Default Bumping

I agree too, I have put a few items on the wanted section and find they go very quickly to page 5 or 6. When checking the wanted adds I usually go through the first few pages to see if there is anything people are looking for that I may have and just don't need anymore. I don't usually use the search option because sometimes there may be something on there that I hadn't even considered putting up and know it is in the house somewhere. Bumping more than once a day just means it is unfair to everyone else as it puts them way back. Kind regards.
Moeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 05:07 PM #6
jennie

I agree, no matter what hour of the day I bump mine at within hours they are pages & pages back.

Would it be in anyway possible to put a restictor on bumping wanted posts Therefore they can't be bumped or replied to by the indvidual who posted the thread until 24 hours or more later, same idea as the 60sec restrictor on pms

It's just a thought!
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 05:14 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie
I agree, no matter what hour of the day I bump mine at within hours they are pages & pages back.

Would it be in anyway possible to put a restictor on bumping wanted posts Therefore they can't be bumped or replied to by the indvidual who posted the thread until 24 hours or more later, same idea as the 60sec restricor on pms

It's just a thought!
Hi jennie,

It might prove difficult (coding-wise) to put a time-restriction on posts just for one forum.

However, I'll pass on your suggestion to the techies.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 05:19 PM #8
jennie

Thank you Chris, cos to be honest it's the only fair way to stop over bumping & sure if some one replies to the wanted Thread, the individual who posted the thread can reply via PM.

Hhhmm anyone in favour of appointing me as Admin lol ;)
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-03-2009 , 05:36 PM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
...it's the only fair way to stop over bumping...
'Twould be better (and less work for Admin and the techies) if some Members read and abided by the rules, but of course, JumbleTown is a text-heavy site and folks are forgetful etc. etc.

Quote:
...sure if some one replies to the wanted Thread, the individual who posted the thread can reply via PM.
Admin would prefer if the posters of threads responded to offers on the thread itself instead of by PM, as otherwise it looks like the Member who posted the offer is being ignored by the person seeking the item. This would discourage any subsequent offers from Members, and result in Admin removing the thread because of an apparent lack of response by the person seeking the item.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 31-03-2009 , 10:20 PM #10
BillieT

Default bumping

I know of one thread where the poster has obviously got 2 usernames and is bumping up with both of them. I know this because he/she is answering on the thread using both names.
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-03-2009 , 10:46 PM #11
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieT
I know of one thread where the poster has obviously got 2 usernames and is bumping up with both of them. I know this because he/she is answering on the thread using both names.
Hi BillieT,

Some Members bump each other's ads. Also, Members may be from the same household, or one Member may have two User Names -- one personal, the other for a club or organisation they represent. Admin has no problem with any of the above.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 31-03-2009 , 11:00 PM #12
BillieT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi BillieT,

Some Members bump each other's ads. Also, Members may be from the same household, or one Member may have two User Names -- one personal, the other for a club or organisation they represent. Admin has no problem with any of the above.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Yes but if a member has two usernames and is bumping their ad up using each name ie.,one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, then the same person is bumping their ad more than once a day.

I gave up on the wanted ads this week - cos I was fed up being one of the few to bump only once a day.

Billie
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-03-2009 , 11:54 PM #13
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Yes but if a member has two usernames and is bumping their ad up using each name ie.,one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, then the same person is bumping their ad more than once a day.
Ahh, I see your point now, BillieT. Click on the red and white triangle beneath the Member's User Name and report the ad. Admin will check it out.
Quote:
I gave up on the wanted ads this week - cos I was fed up being one of the few to bump only once a day.
As far as I can see, most Wanted ads are bumped only once a day, if at all. Members who are unhappy with a post/thread, or another Member's behaviour should report them -- once again, click on the red and white triangle -- that's what it's there for. Admin can't read every post on every Wanted ad every day -- there are over 1,000 Wanted ads at any one time. Admin relies on the assistance of rule-abiding Members.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin