JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 26-10-2006 , 10:21 AM #1
thegroutch

Default Removing Taken Items

Is it just me or are the organisers of this site a bit slow in removing TAKEN items from the site?
Who wants to have to sift through lots of items that are already gone?
thegroutch is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 26-10-2006 , 10:31 AM #2
JJM

Default TAKEN items

Maybe it is just as well that TAKEN items are not removed immediately. My wife posted a few items on jumbletown four weeks ago. She thought the taker was very reliable so she marked the items as TAKEN. To date, the items are still sitting in my hallway. Two of the items were removed from the jumbletown site, so now I have to go to the bother of relisting them. If they weren't so big, I would bin them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroutch
Is it just me or are the organisers of this site a bit slow in removing TAKEN items from the site?
JJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-10-2006 , 10:37 AM #3
Dave Hagan
Administrator

Hi thegroutch,

Leaving 'Taken' items serves two purposes:

1. If we removed all the Taken items, some forums would be empty, and we know from emails we receive that a lot of new members enjoy looking back through previously Taken posts. It's also educational, as it allows new members to 'see' the giving and taking process.

2. The Google Ads are the only source of regular income for JumbleTown -- more page views (even Taken items) equals more revenue, so the Taken items are a financial necessity.

Admin also "prunes" the Board about regularly to reduce the "Christmas Tree Effect" caused by seeing items marked as "Available" (Green), "Reserved" (Orange) and "Taken" (Red). We try to bunch Available items together. We also remove threads/ads that have received responses from potential Takers but no updates from the Giver; also removed are items that have been "Reserved" for more than a week.

Finally, and most importantly, every forum has a search option that allows you to filter out Taken items. You can also click on the "Status" button beneath the "Search Forum" button on the top right of each forum to view all "Available" items together.

Overall, we feel that the "nuisance" of the Taken items is a small price to pay for a free service.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin
Dave Hagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-10-2006 , 10:39 AM #4
Dave Hagan
Administrator

That's another good point JJM has made.

JJM, I'll restore those items for you. Also items should be marked "Reserved" by the Giver until the item is collected.

Regards
Dave Hagan
Admin
Dave Hagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 30-10-2006 , 08:16 PM #5
Adeptus

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegroutch
Handy Hint: Sort the list by clicking on Status, then switch it to ascending order by clicking the little arrow that then appears by the Status header. Hey presto, it's now grouped by it's status and you get the Available, Reserved and Taken in that order! :)

Actually, it might be nice to have ascending as the default sort order should a user click the status, just to save one click. ;)
Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2006 , 11:15 PM #6
Aceshigh

Default Removing The Taken Items

Hi I Think It Is Great To Leave The Taken Items On Board As When I Show Everyone This Site For The First Time It Is A Great Way To Show What They Are Missing Out On I Have Printed Out Some Posters And Am In The Process Of Putting Up Around Kilkenny It Really Is A Great Site So Keep The Taken Items On Show To Prove A Point
..thanx
....wayne
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2006 , 11:27 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACESHIGH
I Have Printed Out Some Posters And Am In The Process Of Putting Up Around Kilkenny

Thanks ACESHIGH! We need more JumbleTowners in Kilkenny (and in Galway, Donegal, Antrim, Roscommon, Kerry...). Lots more needs to be done, but we're up for it!

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-12-2006 , 10:20 AM #8
skip

Default taken items

yes i agree let first time users see what type of items come and go on jumbletown...and my friend has also made plans to print a few posters out and stick them up in her local ladies clubs and the local school were she is attending a computer course...shes in mayo
skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-12-2006 , 12:10 PM #9
Chris P
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip
yes i agree let first time users see what type of items come and go on jumbletown...and my friend has also made plans to print a few posters out and stick them up in her local ladies clubs and the local school were she is attending a computer course...shes in mayo

Hi skip,

Thanks for the feedback. Also a big shout out for your friend in Mayo. JumbleTowners are few and far between in Connaught (and Ulster). A few JumbleTown posters will work wonders.

An easy to download A4 poster can be found here:
http://www.jumbletown.ie/posters.htm

Regards
Chris P
(Admin)
Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote