JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 10:43 AM #1
zanuski

Default Permissions

I receive notice of offers but I am prohibited from seeing them. Why? For example, I was sent this yesterday:
PC Fujitsu Siemens
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=88016
In forum: Computer Hardware & Software
Started by: Oliver Grogan
Last post: Yesterday 07:44 PM
==========

When I click on the link it takes me to a page that says:
zanuski, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
==========

If I am sent an offer, then I should be able to see the details? Why prohibit me?

If I don't have premissions and you can notify me of the same, then why not tell me how to obtain those premissions.

Since my is activated as I am receiving posts, what more am I to do? I used to be able to see offers and submit replies. Can you please help and explain?

All the best,
Bob Zemeski
zanuski is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 11:07 AM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanuski
I receive notice of offers but I am prohibited from seeing them. Why? For example, I was sent this yesterday:
PC Fujitsu Siemens
http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=88016
In forum: Computer Hardware & Software
Started by: Oliver Grogan
Last post: Yesterday 07:44 PM
==========

When I click on the link it takes me to a page that says:
zanuski, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Log Out Home
==========

If I am sent an offer, then I should be able to see the details? Why prohibit me?

If I don't have premissions and you can notify me of the same, then why not tell me how to obtain those premissions.

Since my is activated as I am receiving posts, what more am I to do? I used to be able to see offers and submit replies. Can you please help and explain?

All the best,
Bob Zemeski
Hi zanuski,

The item in question was marked as Taken by the Giver and then archived by Admin. Members do not have access to Admin's Archive.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to see offers and submit replies to all open ads/threads on the public forum.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 11:25 AM #3
zanuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi zanuski,

The item in question was marked as Taken by the Giver and then archived by Admin. Members do not have access to Admin's Archive.

There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to see offers and submit replies to all open ads/threads on the public forum.

Regards
Chris P
Admin

Hi Chris,
The post to my email says, "The following threads are new:
************ PC Fujitsu Siemens"

I thought I was being notified of an offer. How am I to know it is taken?
I clicked on it thinking this was just offer but it is already taken. I would not have wasted my time or yours if that were the case.

Bob
Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 11:41 AM #4
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Hi Chris,
The post to my email says, "The following threads are new:
************ PC Fujitsu Siemens"

I thought I was being notified of an offer. How am I to know it is taken?
I clicked on it thinking this was just offer but it is already taken. I would not have wasted my time or yours if that were the case.

Bob
Hi zanuski,

"New" posts are ones that you personally haven't read since you last logged on. However, the item in question may have been taken and subsequently archived in the period since you last logged on, or perhaps even during the time you are looking at other new posts. In that sense, the forum is "live."

Some Givers make a post at the end of their thread to indicate that their item has been taken, in which case you will automatically receive a notification email stating this. Other Givers simply mark their item as Taken without adding to the thread itself. This can cause some confusion when potential Takers log-in expecting to see a particular ad/thread.

In general, if a Member can't see an ad/thread, they should assume one of two things:

1. That the item has been marked as Taken by the Giver and archived by Admin, or...

2. That the ad/thread has been archived by Admin because the Giver did not provide an update on the item's status for potential Takers and Admin. These ads can only be reposted on request from the Giver.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 11:56 AM #5
zanuski

Thanks for the explaination.
I was under the assumption that if I requested to be notified of postings this would eliminate the need to log on. Lately almost everything I have seen that I had an interest in gave the response I contacted you about - I do not have permission to view this. There is little point of being notified after the fact of a posting has been taken if I haven't seen it posted to begin with. I don't mean to be a pain, just don't understand how I am missing so many items and then being notified, from your explanation, that they are gone.

Thanks,
Bob
Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 12:21 PM #6
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
...There is little point of being notified after the fact...
Hi zanuski,

Your account is set for "Instant Email Notification" of all posts on the threads to which you subscribe. If a Giver states at the bottom of their ad/thread that an item has been Taken, then you will receive immediate notification of this. Of course, there may be a lapse in time between your receiving the email and actually reading it -- it depends how often you check your email account.

The real problem lies in Givers not adding a post at the end of their ad/thread.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 12:54 PM #7
zanuski

Thanks for the info!

Bob
Old Posted: 03-05-2010 , 01:29 PM #8
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Thanks for the info!

Bob
You're welcome, zanuski. Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin