JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 22-01-2009 , 04:26 PM #1
Chuck

Default Water Butt (rain-water tank)

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to stop my water butt taking off across the garden (and terrorising my poor dogs) in high winds. Its placed in the most sheltered area of my garden and has water in it but in the last couple of weeks it keeps taking off in the wind.

Appreciate any suggestions - THANKS.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 22-01-2009 , 11:39 PM #2
Rufus Fornow

Default water butt

I presume it's placed close to a wall? If so, a hook driven into the wall on each side and a piece of rope tied between the two should solve the problem.
Rufus Fornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-01-2009 , 11:46 PM #3
Bawnie

Depending on what you're using the water for.... Add some bricks or stones to bottom maybe?
Bawnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 07:02 PM #4
lislaw

My nanny alway used to have two bricks tied to either end of a piece of rope which was then placed over the top of the butt. The bricks hung down either side - if you know what I mean. Her butt had a wooden lid that my grandad made and had too hooked nails in it to run the rope through as well.

HTH

Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2009 , 10:57 PM #5
julfren

Default water butt

I would imagine as the butt fills up it will get heavier and won't be liable to get blown away. There is a lot of rain forecast for this weekend. I intend to get a water butt in the near future. I've heard the water is good for hair-washing for one thing!
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-01-2009 , 10:59 AM #6
lislaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by julfren
. I've heard the water is good for hair-washing for one thing!

Wouldn't fancy that myself. Most waterbutt's are connected to the drains from your roof. Lot of crap comes down them drains - bird droppings for one. It's pretty much grey water and I'd only use it for the garden. I have heard of collecting rain/draining water in a big underground collector which was then connected to the toilet as their flushing water. Not quite sure how it was done but there were several knowelegable men involved - not one for the amueter
Lisa
lislaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-01-2009 , 03:21 PM #7
cascais

Default water butt

chuck

i used to have one of these before i moved and we had attached to a shed, there was some kind of a bracket we go fix to the wall with screws and stuff, don t know the details, but worth looking into.

we also had a big fuschia bush in front of it witch made it a bit more sightly and protected from the wind. midn you it ll depend where you live, we were in the middle of a housing estate, not teh same as if you live in a field in the country.

yeh we also used it just for garden use, great when sunny in the summer.., or i guess you could also wash the car with the same water .
but definitely wouldn t wash anything else with it...

thing is, we used to have our one quite low (beside the ground) and it was a pain to get the water out !, do you have to get a base to raise it, or do you stand it on concrete blocks ? what way do you guys have yours...?

thanks

cascais
cascais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-01-2009 , 03:34 PM #8
Chuck

Default Thanks.

Thanks for all advice - will try and bolt it to the wall. Yeah its raised on one of the stands so easy enough to get water out. Not too keen on putting bricks into it as I am afraid it will tear the bottom out of it if wind picks up again. We use the water for the garden and also the dogs seem only to like rain water so they use some of it too.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote