User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 07-03-2009 , 12:53 AM #16
Sabrinabray

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmsmum
Beautiful, very well put. Wish I could write poems like that. Well done.
Thanks!
Sabrinabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-03-2009 , 01:36 AM #17
fnc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alnus
When I wanted to make chips the fryer seemed to be dirty more often than not and then the whole big rigmarole of emptying it and scrubbing etc was just too much.

Just as an aside, I find the oil stays much cleaner and nicer if you only use it for chips and nothing else, that is what I do. I also change it pretty often (if you don't it is VERY bad for you, toxic, much worse than just the fat).

Actually I do a very bold thing (I cannot recommend this due to possible danger), I use a large pot with 2 litres of oil in it and an old metal thing for putting the chips in from a deep fat fryer I had years ago that died. The chips are yummy. Because I change the oil as soon as it doesn't look nice anymore there is never any awful scrubbing etc. (Wish I was that good with everything else domestic...)

I think using your oil for cooking lots of different things makes it way more likely to burn / have burnt stuff in it and makes it way more yucky
fnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-03-2009 , 12:02 PM #18
eco chick

i have a big family like you. i put in empty 2lt bottles and use for cooking again. frying roasting etc works great for me and saves money to
eco chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-11-2009 , 03:00 PM #19
sandy428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeby
Hi everyone, I bought a deep fat fryer last September when my hubby was laid off (Friday is chippy day in our house) and to cut down on the take aways. Because I am feeding a family of 6 I got a big one, holds 6 litres. I was just wondering what is the best way of disposing of the old oil. I know you are not supposed to pour it down the drains, so what do you do with it?
hi i norm put it in plastic bottle and throw in house hold waste bin. (when cold of coarse) sandy
sandy428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-11-2009 , 11:57 PM #20
TickTock

Default How do you dispose of old cooking oil?

I only ever used the deep fryer for chips but I gave up using it quite a few years ago. However my family still yearn for home cooked chips so I might relent one day soon just for a treat. I used to re-use cooking oil around 4 times, then I'd use it up by basting meat, or any pan-cooking. I use to filter it through a sieve to keep it clean.

My mum only ever used Cookeen and when she was finished with it she would wash out out pea/bean tins and pour the warm Cookeen in. Then when it solidified she threw it in the bin. Much better than pouring oil down the sink!

I heard recently that lard products like Cookeen are healthier than some oils but I wouldn't be too sure about that. I googled the problem and came up with all sorts of health problems due to re-using oils. There surely must be a recognised website that gives the answers to these type of questions. If anyone knows of one please let me know.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 12:06 PM #21
okidoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterwave
Hi - i can bring mine to the Recycling Centre - i pour it into milk cartons or 2 litre bottles and bring there and just empty!!! Hope you have one near you?

same here!!!
okidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 07:00 PM #22
sparkwell

Hi all

I got rid of this problem by buying a Tefal Actifry last Christmas (in the North as it was far cheaper). It was expensive to buy but you only need a spoonful of oil to cook chips and if using frozen chips you don't need any at all and the chips are lovely!! No more chip shops for us so it paid for itself very quickly as we would have had a takeaway about once a fortnight.
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-11-2009 , 09:10 PM #23
reebok

I remember my mum always used to have a 2 litre bottle with a funnel stuck in the top - put a couple of layers of kitchen towel in to act as a filter, then would pour the cold used oil through the filter. Then the kitchen towel with the yucky bits could be thrown in the wheelie bin. The oil would stay cleaner for longer too. Its not ideal - but its another idea until you can save up for one of those Actifrys! (I waaaaaaaaaant one of those!!!)
reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 05-12-2009 , 02:48 PM #24
suzywoosie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moeby
Hi everyone, I bought a deep fat fryer last September when my hubby was laid off (Friday is chippy day in our house) and to cut down on the take aways. Because I am feeding a family of 6 I got a big one, holds 6 litres. I was just wondering what is the best way of disposing of the old oil. I know you are not supposed to pour it down the drains, so what do you do with it?

recycle it, use your local council, they should have a chemcar facility to collect this kind of thing and paint etc, every few months. Store it in old bottles in the mean time.

suzy
suzywoosie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-12-2009 , 04:38 PM #25
padjop

Default cooking oil

Hi,if u have an open fire u will find that it makes a very good firelighter,not too much at d one time tho,b carefull.Every time u lite ur fire ur neighbours will smell chips and stuff.Try it out.Paddy.
padjop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-12-2009 , 05:49 PM #26
minnie pal

Default cooking oil/fat

Hey, i am feeding the bird fat balls and buying cookeen in the supermarkets to make em.
as on a disab pension, anyone with fat or run off fat i can reheat and continue to make my fat balls!
the birds really need the fat, they are skin and bone and not much else. seed is mixed in too.
I really could do with it, as they are eating it faster than i can provide.
xxminnie pal
can collect, i might even be kniown as the 'fat lady!!'
pm if you like
i am in the dun laoghaire area.
thanks
minnie pal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-12-2009 , 11:20 AM #27
N00dle

I can second what minnie pal says, the birds love it.
Have been making them for years the blue peter way: chop off bottom of a milk carton put a hole in base and push string through, fill with seeds nuts etc and fill with fat, allow to set and hang out side unside down. Keep out of the reach of rats though.
Sorry for terrible grammar, little man is helping my type here:)
N00dle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-01-2013 , 12:38 PM #28
aidanmo

Default old cooking oil

i make my own bio diesel an will take any waste oil thats going
aidanmo is offline   Reply With Quote