JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 11:09 PM #1
mw100860

Default shower cubicle for attic

Hi everyone, hoping somebody can help me with a problem. I am putting an ensuite bathroom in an attic bedroom and everything is going well except for one small-ish problem; the sloping roof is about 2 inches too low for shower cubicle. Priced a custom made one- E500! No thanks! Dont fancy a wetroom setup as its upstairs and have visions of ceilings falling down on top of us. All ideas gratefully received.
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 14-10-2009 , 11:33 PM #2
Zoomdog

not sure if it is any help to you .. but you can get a fully sealed multijet free standing shower unit ..
my inlaws picked one up .. I think it was over in Cashel town
probably best to shop around.. what sort of height are you looking at..
an alternative may be to lower the floor height of the unit
just an idea mind.. am not responsible for anything that may happen..:-)
Zoomdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-10-2009 , 08:47 AM #3
thepallasbull

why not fit a Velux window in the ceiling above the shower area and the opening for that will give you enough room to fit you shower cubicile
has been done before..
thepallasbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-10-2009 , 02:47 PM #4
mw100860

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw100860
Hi everyone, hoping somebody can help me with a problem. I am putting an ensuite bathroom in an attic bedroom and everything is going well except for one small-ish problem; the sloping roof is about 2 inches too low for shower cubicle. Priced a custom made one- E500! No thanks! Dont fancy a wetroom setup as its upstairs and have visions of ceilings falling down on top of us. All ideas gratefully received.
Many thanks for replies but dont know if they will help. multijet shower cubicle probably even more expensive than custom-made unit and, pallasbull, room is already done, plastered, the lot, it is a room within a room if you know what I mean. What I need, ideally, is a shower cubicle 2inches lower than standard height.
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-10-2009 , 03:07 PM #5
aerosol

Hi mw100860, have you tried a local glazer?One may able to suply you a suitable size for alot cheaper,possibly also using a 'cut' down frame to fit your tray.

Another possible way would be to use two 4 panel bath screens(which are alot shorter than a shower cubicle,one on each wall and overlap them...

If a wet room is done correctly(I'm in this line of business) leaks of any kind aren't an issue.Its very possible to do a proper diy job,alot cheaper than €500! Too complex to go into but if you want any advice by all means send me a pm.

Good luck
aerosol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 16-10-2009 , 10:55 AM #6
freebegiver

Default shower

hi. there is a alluminium guy in cork that does shower doors .he should be able to make a cubicle for you .or make one your self with plastered stud sides and back and you can tile it. then get a door made up
freebegiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 17-10-2009 , 12:53 AM #7
jatui

Default shower to big.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw100860
try take the 2 inches from the joists or cut the bottom of the shower, someone in the UPVU trade should do a job on it
jatui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2011 , 03:10 PM #8
TillyL

Default Attic shower.

Could you build walls around the tray and tile and if a standard pivot door won't fit at the highest point just use a shower curtain. If walls and floors are fully tiled there shouldn't be any leakage problems.
TillyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2011 , 06:05 PM #9
Deoir

I'd definitely try your local glazier or glass manufacturer, they can custom make something for you or if you want something funky ikea do tempered glass desktops and countertops that can be used for shower walls or doors, see here:
http://www.ikeahackers.net/2011/01/c...room-hack.html
Deoir is offline   Reply With Quote