JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 21-10-2013 , 10:48 AM #1
Northsider1515

Default Mexican Pine Bed Frame - Cheap Chalk Paint?

I'm hoping to paint my bed frame - it's mexican pine and 2yrs old and I love it, but I'm finding it very dark in the bedroom.

I would love to use a cream coloured annie sloan paint - but they are very expensive! I'm not great at DIY and lost my patience with long-term jobs, so I'm hoping for something that I can just put one or two coats on.

It doesn't have to be a 'distressed' look - but I would like a dull, matt finish (hope that makes sense!).

Could I use some of the more popular paints (dulux or crown) and what type should I buy???

I love this page of JT and am always encouraged by the great upcycling you all do here ;-)
Northsider1515 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 21-10-2013 , 09:12 PM #2
irishrose

Is the pine unfinished or is it sealed?
If it's unfinished, you can buy some inexpensive matt finish paint in the color of your choice and paint it on and rub most of it off with a soft cloth before it dries.
If the wood has a finish on it, you're going have to at least rough up the finish so that paint will adhere. Then you can probably safely paint it with an emulsion. I probably wouldn't use a completely matt finish, but would choose a soft-sheen paint. If you have to sand it and paint, I'd use at least a Dulux quality paint, and not try to save a few euro by using something completely cheap.
irishrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-10-2013 , 11:37 AM #3
okidoki

€26 gets you a big tin of Authentico Chalk paint (see re-loved.net - a brilliant website). I painted my bedroom wardrobes with 3 coats using 1 tin (7 full height doors and sides!) couldnt be better value for money!

http://www.re-loved.net/autentico-ch...t-reloved.html
okidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2013 , 11:11 PM #4
mar754

Default Painting bed frame

Hi I painted {well other half did I gave advise!!!!} put 2 coats of under coat and 2 of Dulux satinwood looks great, what a difference.
mar754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 31-10-2013 , 11:13 PM #5
mar754

Default Authentico Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by okidoki
€26 gets you a big tin of Authentico Chalk paint (see re-loved.net - a brilliant website). I painted my bedroom wardrobes with 3 coats using 1 tin (7 full height doors and sides!) couldnt be better value for money!

http://www.re-loved.net/autentico-ch...t-reloved.html
Hi Okidoki, that site look amazing, do you know if that paint is stocked around the country?
Old Posted: 25-11-2013 , 11:10 AM #6
okidoki

heres the link to the website http://www.autentico-chalk-paint.co.uk/#!where-to-buy
okidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 25-11-2013 , 10:37 PM #7
mar754

Thank you
Old Posted: 05-02-2014 , 11:16 PM #8
41connell

Default painting mexican pine

Im new to jumble town, you may need to remove wax by sanding bed first, I repainted a mirror frame, used a soft white matt wall paint from crown that I had left over from redecorating, distressed it a little with sandpaper (optional), then polished it with pine beeswax over the paint, turned out lovely, still going strong, looks professional, very little effort. Hope this helps
41connell is offline   Reply With Quote