JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-05-2010 , 06:39 AM #1
BCD

Default Recycling centres (Reusing/life-cycling items from...)

Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if its just in Trim but I was in the recycling centre the other day and after emptying out my car I thought I'd have a wander around and came across lovely door handles..Sure I just rummaged a little more and came up with 4 sets..Delighted with myself I headed back to the car on a mission to replace my old ones with these lovely new ones when I heard someone shout OI!! I turned to see a man in a hi-vis vest comming toward me..Talk about being embarrassed,All the people had heard him and turned to see who he was giving out to...He wouldn't let me take them saying that the handle could break and cut my hand and he'd be in trouble then..It is a recycling centre and there does be lovely and very reusable things up there so why can't people take stuff outta there? It is recycling and would cut down on costs for council..I know you can just walk into the Navan centre and take what ya like why not in Trim? Its so frustrating to see some lovely things that people are throwing out and not be able to rescue them..I know insurance and all that but other centres are so helpful and only too delighted to see people getting use outta other peoples "junk"...And seeing as they only take in solid timber..There's so many uses for that even..I think its a crying shame..
BCD.
BCD is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 27-05-2010 , 09:28 AM #2
sadolphingirl

I have to agree with you. I know I have rescued many things out of Portlaoise recycling centre but always made sure that the people that worked there have not really been around. I have seen many others do it, even with the things that I have thrown out...
sadolphingirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-05-2010 , 02:37 PM #3
mw100860

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCD
Hi Everyone,
I was just wondering if its just in Trim but I was in the recycling centre the other day and after emptying out my car I thought I'd have a wander around and came across lovely door handles..Sure I just rummaged a little more and came up with 4 sets..Delighted with myself I headed back to the car on a mission to replace my old ones with these lovely new ones when I heard someone shout OI!! I turned to see a man in a hi-vis vest comming toward me..Talk about being embarrassed,All the people had heard him and turned to see who he was giving out to...He wouldn't let me take them saying that the handle could break and cut my hand and he'd be in trouble then..It is a recycling centre and there does be lovely and very reusable things up there so why can't people take stuff outta there? It is recycling and would cut down on costs for council..I know you can just walk into the Navan centre and take what ya like why not in Trim? Its so frustrating to see some lovely things that people are throwing out and not be able to rescue them..I know insurance and all that but other centres are so helpful and only too delighted to see people getting use outta other peoples "junk"...And seeing as they only take in solid timber..There's so many uses for that even..I think its a crying shame..
BCD.
Political correctness gone overboard, I say. I got a lovely desk/dressing table+ matching stool at my local recycling centre- Dunmore, Kilkenny. Gave the guy working there 10euro to throw it into the back of my truck. Fabulous quality. Painted it white for my daughter's bedroom. The lads in Dunmore used to keep back any reusable stuff from the landfill and give it to anybody interested, Don't know if they still do that.
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-06-2011 , 12:59 PM #4
okidoki

I was recycling a lot of stuff in teh Trim centre a few months ago and I asked a staff member if it woudl be possible to get a pedal off a childs bike (it was thrown in the scrap metal box) and he said teh same - the whole insurance thing about me suing him or the centre if my child fell off the bike after using the recycled pedal ........ I supose they are just trying to cover themselves 'cos so many poeple now are suing for the least little thing.
okidoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-06-2011 , 02:50 PM #5
Fries-With-That

Default Its more than my jobs worth....insurance...blah blah

I wonder if the staff working there are stopping people from taking stuff because maybe just maybe they have a rummage around every evening picking out stuff for themselves.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-06-2011 , 07:20 PM #6
TickTock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fries-With-That
I wonder if the staff working there are stopping people from taking stuff because maybe just maybe they have a rummage around every evening picking out stuff for themselves.

I'm with you on that one. Check around and see if there are any notices saying they are not responsible for any accidents/injuries to the public. If there is that notice then whatever you take is at your own risk so possibly its the staff themselves just taking that step too far. Maybe you should ask to see a manager or supervisor - but they may be the same unfortunately.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-12-2011 , 10:36 AM #7
msrecycle

Trim is out on it's own and i can guarantee that i know who you are talking about!!!
i went there after Xmas a few years ago, overdue on my baby and asked for help with the newspaper recycling as it was heavy and was told it was a self service recycling centre and when i told him i was 9 months pregnant (which was OBVIOUS AS HELL!!!) he said if i was 9 months pregnant that i would be in hospital and i roared at him that i was overdue and another gentleman helped me instead
he is the HEIGHT OF RUDENESS AND IGNORNACE
same as above got a filter out off a broken washing machine and he would not let me take it, quoting insurance and yet on another occasion he took me into the shed to show me the pallet load of brand new toasters and he was going to "recycle" them
A complete muppet
msrecycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-12-2011 , 02:09 PM #8
Gormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrecycle
Trim is out on it's own and i can guarantee that i know who you are talking about!!!
i went there after Xmas a few years ago, overdue on my baby and asked for help with the newspaper recycling as it was heavy and was told it was a self service recycling centre and when i told him i was 9 months pregnant (which was OBVIOUS AS HELL!!!) he said if i was 9 months pregnant that i would be in hospital and i roared at him that i was overdue and another gentleman helped me instead
he is the HEIGHT OF RUDENESS AND IGNORNACE
same as above got a filter out off a broken washing machine and he would not let me take it, quoting insurance and yet on another occasion he took me into the shed to show me the pallet load of brand new toasters and he was going to "recycle" them
A complete muppet

o_O I'm shocked!!!! think maybe he's one of these people who goes to the extremes of the rules. just think those toasters could have been donated to a charity..... What a waste!!
All they need to do to cover themselves is put a big sign up at the entrance stating they are not liable in any way for accidents/injuries on/off the premises as a result of items there/removed from there .... or something to that effect
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 09-01-2012 , 09:41 AM #9
Sarahnimble

Thats such a shame! I have been told also once not to take items out of refuse sites, I think the workers have to safe guard themsleves if something happened to you they could get sued.
Sarahnimble is offline   Reply With Quote