Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 03-12-2008 , 12:36 PM #1
taraoreilly

Default posting items

hi can anyone tell me is there any way of knowing how much an item will cost to post without going to post office e.g does it go by weight . I would love to know this as my post office is a really busy one and you could be waiting quite a while just to find out how much it is to post something . Thanks for reading Tara
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 03-12-2008 , 12:49 PM #2
HappyHunter

www.anpost.ie gives a breakdown of postage charges by weight so all you need to do is weigh the packaged item to get the final weight and check An Post to work out cost.
Old Posted: 03-12-2008 , 12:59 PM #3
taraoreilly

Default hi

that is fantastic i have just done that thank you very much that will make life much easier for me thanks again tara
Old Posted: 03-12-2008 , 02:59 PM #4
Bibi

Default Posting Items

Hi Tara...

You can get a little booklet @ Post Office which clearly sets out postage rates - a little confusing at first, as there are different rates for packages & parcels !! but great once you crack the difference..(if you get me!!) Just weigh your package/parcel or whatever & then you know what items will cost. ...If your Post Office is to busy to queue for one, just let me know & I will get one & post it to you.ok?

Kind Regards
Bibi
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 06:54 PM #5
Bubbles2

Hi Tara

I don't know which part of the country your are in but on some thread a member mentioned a new 'invention' they saw in their local Tesco store, I saw one beside the customer service desk in The Square in Tallaght where you can weigh your parcel etc., buy the postage and send it on its way all in one go!!!!!
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 07:09 PM #6
Hawk

I think posting items to jt'ers and receiving items from jt'ers through the post is great. But everyone should remember to include the price of packaging. Brown paper and bubble wrap cost money too...just thought I would mention it
Old Posted: 04-12-2008 , 07:11 PM #7
Mumof3

This information is absolutely brilliant because yes the que in the post office can be terrible and time consuming. Well done for this information
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 12:33 PM #8
Sabrinabray

Default Thanks Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
I think posting items to jt'ers and receiving items from jt'ers through the post is great. But everyone should remember to include the price of packaging. Brown paper and bubble wrap cost money too...just thought I would mention it

Nice one Hawk! Many ppl overlook this. I order books and cringe at what they charge for packaging but sending it to them is not an option.
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 11:23 PM #9
The Mammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
Your right Hawk.
But I try and re-use old envelopes or i'll cut up a Dunnes or Penny's paper bag and turn it inside out to use for wrapping and posting...Selotape however can cost a lot depending on where you buy it...Then of course there's the issue of weather an item will fit into the post box and if it does'nt then there is time spent Queing at the post office...mine is always packed and I hate the long ques...
Collection is really best for larger items.
Regards
The Mammy
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 12:23 PM #10
snowdaisy

Default collection only ignored

on a slight diversion,
Why do so many j'towners ignore 'collection only' in a post and still request that you send it to them?
Somebody asked me to post a bread maker for pity's sake!
OK rant over.
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 12:02 AM #11
gillo

I couldn't agree with you more, snowdaisy, people ignore the posts all the time. Especially when the giver requests no pms, they still pm you without even replying on thread. Very annoying, but maybe it's just an oversight on their part in their excitement and anticipation of getting the item
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 02:15 AM #12
Bettybooboopbedoop

Where possible, no matter what the item is, if it is possible to post it , no matter what the cost (as long as the taker is willing to pay) i will post it. Bubblewrap is a great protector. If someone wants an item that they can't have otherwise, i would try to accommodate them if i can. I know that i would like to think that someone would give me the same consideration, and although i don't drive yet and the nearest post office is 2 miles away, i will try to help whenever possible. Where would we be without helping one another. It isn't often you are given the opportunity, but it feels great when it does happen. I, myself had an electric shower posted to me. I know circumstances differ but where possible you can make an enormous difference to someone that would otherwise have to go without. I think that is a major part of recycling on jtown.
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 02:19 AM #13
Bettybooboopbedoop

gillo, i think you hit the nail on the head when you said that maybe they get overexcited about an item, the pms do tend to come in even when stated, no pms. We have all had this happen. I think people read the thread and just see whats on offer and not the restrictions placed by the giver, i'm sure i've done it myself. Some will continuously pm, these i will ignore, others will apologise when they realise their mistake, but really the giver has the control of an item and decides as they will.
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 10:17 AM #14
Clarelovesangels

why do people say no pm's ... i mean i dont understand why... doh! is it so the first person on the thread gets it? i just wonder thats all :) oh and happy christmas to all JT's
Old Posted: 13-12-2008 , 10:28 AM #15
Bettybooboopbedoop

I would say no pms usually if i have a few items up together, as it is much easier to keep track of the interested parties, and my inbox stays manageable. This doesn't stop the pms though, they still come in. Just makes things easier.
Closed Thread