Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 19-01-2010 , 01:09 PM #1
garrazzaband

Default jewelry/craft ideas needed

Hi everyone,
Can you help with this. A while ago a little girl who is the daughter of a friend came to me one day with a bag and said "this is for you". I opened the paper bag and made a big fuss of my present saying a big thank you/for me? etc.lol.

What she had given me was some scrap waterford crystal that I had shown interest in when in her house some time back. These were her 'pretend diamonds'.

What I'd like to do is somehow mount or box or create a display of this stuff and give it back to her on 18th or 21st birthday or something like that. This stuff tends to crumble a little bit and as it is 'glass' would need to be sealed for saftey somehow, (already had a splinter from it in my hand drawing blood).

Any handy tips from anyone would be would be appreciated.
Many thanks.
Attached Images

garrazzaband is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 19-01-2010 , 08:49 PM #2
Scrabble

Hi garrazzaband,
That was very nice of your friends daughter and I think its lovely that you want to give it back in the form of a present. Is there any way you can polish it up or drill a hole in it then one piece could be a necklace.
My son said you could make a christmas decoration out of it.
I will try to think of some ideas.
Regards
Scrabble
Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-01-2010 , 03:36 AM #3
unapam

Default ideas for scrap diamonds

What a fabulous gift! A whole bag of diamonds!

Now to seal it...try clear nail varnish or coat in superglue. Next get some fine craft wire and fashion a rough cage around a chunk and hang it on a silver chain for a unique piece of jewellery. Send me diamond and I will experiment for you!

Update: I have added a pic of a piece my sister made using the wire cage idea. Hers are pearls but you get the idea.
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2010 , 12:18 AM #4
sugarplum4

What a lovely gift. You could varnish tham and put them in a nice wooden trunk style box. It might be fitting seeing as to a little kid they would have seemed like treasure.
sugarplum4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-01-2010 , 08:45 AM #5
rainbow09

Default necklace

That necklace in the photo is gorgeous! Where abouts would I get craft wire and the other items to make something like this? I'd love to try and make a few of my own :)
rainbow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-01-2010 , 01:42 PM #6
garrazzaband

Default Don't Try This At Home Lol Lol

Hi everyone, thank you for all the suggestions. I went with the superglue idea.
Unfortunately not a success as you can see but was worth a try.
Have decided that the best idea now is to put them into some sort of glass box for display purposes. The box must also be permanantly sealed. No more handling of the glass. any ideas please.
Attached Images

garrazzaband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-01-2010 , 09:41 PM #7
Teish

Location: Away with the fairies most of the time but physically Cork
Default Terrarium

Hi garrazzaband,

I have this fresh in my mind because I'll be making a creppy dragon one for my brother soon but how about a terrarium. A little landscaped enclosure.

If you get a yankee candle jar (any size) & put the crystal in the bottom, it can be an ice cap landscape for a mini polar bear sculpture or some sort of sparkly cave ground for a little dragon or fairies. Maybe she'll have a butterfly tattoo by her 18th and you could put a bit of moss in the jar with a few tiny butterflies on wire.

I think aldi have a coffee jar along the line of the yankee candle jars (a bit smaller) at probably 1/4 the price.

Here are a few links to terrariums on Etsy just for an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=39321909

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=30157063
Teish is offline   Reply With Quote