JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-03-2009 , 10:11 PM #1
Betty Boo 69

Default Wanted ads (Number per Member?)

Ok this is a bit of a moan but bare with me. I think that there should be some sort of a limit to the amount of wanted ads that any one member can have running at the same time. I know some ppl put up ads for friends and family etc aswell as themselves but some ppl have more then 10 ads at any given time. Maybe I'm just being a grump but I feel it kind of turns it into a begging section, sure we could all list off loads of thing that we all want but that not the aim of the site. I just think that a lot of genuine wanted ads get lost in the wanted section due to others greed.
Betty Boo 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 10-03-2009 , 10:21 PM #2
gillo

I would say I would have to agree with you there. It really makes a mockery of the section when there are numerous ads from the same members looking for items that really cost very little to buy if they are wanted so badly. The main aim of this site is to shift items that still have life in them that would otherwise cost money to dispose of, and maybe someone else can make use of, not to be a free for all for whatever you fancy. I will probably be slated by some for saying that, but I don't care, it's how I genuinely feel.
gillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-03-2009 , 10:52 PM #3
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi Everyone,

Neither Admin nor Members have any way of determining the “neediness” or otherwise of another Member -- that's why we do not have a limit on the number of ads a Member may place in the Wanted forum nor on the number of items they may request in the Givers' forums.

Who can tell what another Member's circumstances are? They could be recently laid-off or struggling to pay a mortgage, and have decided to be prudent by requesting some assistance through the Wanted forum.

Since the inception of JumbleTown, Admin has never had the interest (nor the time, for that matter) to keep tabs on the number of ads placed by an individual Member in the Wanted forum or on their posts in the Givers' forums. If there's any change to this policy, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 12:14 AM #4
Bettybooboopbedoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P
Hi Everyone,

Neither Admin nor Members have any way of determining the “neediness” or otherwise of another Member -- that's why we do not have a limit on the number of ads a Member may place in the Wanted forum nor on the number of items they may request in the Givers' forums.

Who can tell what another Member's circumstances are? They could be recently laid-off or struggling to pay a mortgage, and have decided to be prudent by requesting some assistance through the Wanted forum.

Since the inception of JumbleTown, Admin has never had the interest (nor the time, for that matter) to keep tabs on the number of ads placed by an individual Member in the Wanted forum or on their posts in the Givers' forums. If there's any change to this policy, I'll let you know.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
I must say i agree with you Chris. I don't think the amount of posts, per person, should matter. If someone has a need for an item, no matter how big or small, they should be allowed to advertise the fact. Someone, somewhere probably has it and would only be too glad to get rid of it, at times anyway. This is all part of the recycling process, and if items can be passed onto a member that can use them, good luck, i say. Some peoples needs are vast, others menial, whatever the reason or requirements, if someone can meet those needs, then i think jumbletown has played a major part in recycling and in helping its members play their part in the whole process. If it seems like some people are pushing the limits, we have to remind ourselves that we don't know what the circumstances involved are and might possibly be able to alleviate the situation.
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 12:25 AM #5
colmsmum

Perhaps if members put their wanted ad's under a couple of different headings rather than listing each individual item it would make it a bit easier. Just as an example- 'Craft Items wanted' rather than 'Paper', 'Glue' etc, etc. It would clear up a bit of space in the wanted section & save bumping multiple ad's. To be honest I wouldn't be able to keep track of more than 5 anyway. Just my thoughts on it.
colmsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 12:39 AM #6
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmsmum
...It would clear up a bit of space in the wanted section...
Hi colmsmum,

Space really isn't a problem in the Wanted forum. We allow the Wanted listings to grow to 50 pages in total -- that's 1,250 ads. Any ad that slips beyond page 50 is deleted by Admin. If an ad was never "bumped" from the moment it was posted, it would slip down to page 50 in 3 or 4 weeks.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 10:59 AM #7
colmsmum

Wow, that's a lot of wanted ad's! Thanks for letting me know Chris P. Best regards, colmsmum.
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 11:56 AM #8
jennie

Chris in fairness, I have to agree with the ladies & that it would be a great Idea!

There's 50 wanted pages you say.... If I have something I want rid of & would rather give to someone who "has" a wanted post in the section, I'm not gonna sit & scan through 50 pages to find that person. I find it hard enough to get past five.

It's not that we're giving out but rather posting our opinions on how the site could achieve maximun efficiency to users.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 12:21 PM #9
paprika

In certain points I do agree with Betty Boo 69 (despite me having 12 ads in the wanted section; mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!).
I think the problem is that if someone has an ad, bumps it up, it is on the front page, and s/he is happy that now lots of people gonna see it and might have a chance actually getting it. Next minute, a few people with multiple ads (or one with 100 ads, it actually happened...) comes along, bumps all of them, and the first person's ad is on the 3rd even 5th page, where hardly anyone looks. As I can see now many people find this annoying.
So maybe would be good to determine a max limit on the number of wanted ads.

Jennie - I think there is sticky in Wanted how to search the wanted section. If someone has somethings/he wants to get rid of asap just types in that word into the search.
But sometimes it's good to go through the Wanted section. I found several ads for what I had things, and I never even imagined people would want them. But I don't go further then 15 pages, especially as my internet connection is very slow.

What colmsmum said makes complete sense, so I've decluttered some of my ads, was asking for different books, now put them in one ad. Will try to squeeze the ads a bit more.

The "begging" term I find a bit insulting personally. I think it's ok to ask for things people don't need anymore. I usually prefer used/old things to new ones. No sob stories, but I can't even afford new ones. And many small items can add up to a considerable cost too, and if on a budget people have to decide to which thing to give priority: something they need for their hobbies or something they need to make lunch for the family.
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 01:07 PM #10
elbo

Default ..

I would agree with you also. A good idea is to take a look at the person's Profile and their threads and see just want they have posted in the wanted section.
I have noticed that some people have lots and LOTS of items in the wanted section all at once, and nothing else.
Yes, it is greedy.

It would be a good idea, if we are putting up an item, that we would first check the Wanted Section (no, not going through it page by page) but on the front page of Jumbletown there is a Search section, so if we were going to post up a Table for instance, we could enter Table in the Search section and see if there is anyone looking for one.
elbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 02:53 PM #11
paprika

Probably we should just have some respect to each other, so not pushing our own wants too much, letting other ones have a chance to get what they want.
Maybe if someone wants LOTS of things putting up, let's say about 10 (12?:D) ads at ones, waiting until s/he gets them then putting up amother 10 (12.....?;)) would be a solution.
Or at least if one needed many things and wanted to put them in the Wanted section all at once, advertising for more items in one ad, the way as colmsmum suggested would be really handy. Like "Baby things" and under that heading the toys, clothes, bottles etc. (hmm, I'm off to Wanted now :D)
Just an idea.
Oh, and deleting the ones that are recieved, so the Wanted section would be decluttered.

Regards, and happy JTing
:D
paprika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 03:24 PM #12
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie
...I'm not gonna sit & scan through 50 pages to find that person. I find it hard enough to get past five.
Hi jennie,

There's no need to search through each page individually. Please use the Search Function. Here's how:

http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=4000

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 04:15 PM #13
abbamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie
Chris in fairness, I have to agree with the ladies & that it would be a great Idea!

There's 50 wanted pages you say.... If I have something I want rid of & would rather give to someone who "has" a wanted post in the section, I'm not gonna sit & scan through 50 pages to find that person. I find it hard enough to get past five.

It's not that we're giving out but rather posting our opinions on how the site could achieve maximun efficiency to users.
YOU DONT HAVE TO READ THROUGH ALL 50 PAGES TO FIND SOMEONE FOR THE ITEM,JUST USE YOUR SEARCH THIS THREAD AND "BINGO"....
abbamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 05:17 PM #14
cavalin

would that not lead to even more wanted ads as the only way to receive would to ask or be lucky enough to have no one asking as the case may be? just wondering!
cavalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-03-2009 , 08:26 PM #15
colmsmum

(What colmsmum said makes complete sense, so I've decluttered some of my ads, was asking for different books, now put them in one ad. Will try to squeeze the ads a bit more.)

Hi paprika,

Please don't think I was referring to you with my example, it wasn't directed to anyone in particular. As I'm into crafts also it was the first thing that popped into my head. I hope I haven't offended you.

Best regards,
colmsmum.