JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 11:18 AM #1
mary_queen_of_pots

Default Removing Film from Weatherglaze Door

Does anybody know how I can remove a plastic type film from my door? I have managed to remove it from the window boards by spending endless hours of picking and scraping with my nails. The builder told me that this was the only way it could be done. Now my fingers are sore and I am running out of fingernails and the film on the back door is more stubborn than that on the window boards.

By the way, I have tried hot soapy water, nail varnish remover, white spirit, metelated spirits, turpentine and even alcohol based deodorant.

I have just purchased a heat gun to try it but now I can't find my scraper and I don't know if the gun would damage the door...it is mohogony effect weatherglaze.

Below is a photo of the offending door.
Attached Images

mary_queen_of_pots is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 12:01 PM #2
Stuarty

Im really sorry that I cant help, but I have the same problem. I used a scraper but it damaged the door, then I set the kids on it but they got bored really quickly...

I cant wait for the good advice replies
Stuarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 12:47 PM #3
Beckie

Default sticky on door

i got new pvc windows recently and couldnt get the marks from the labels off the glass. I'm told that car accessories shops sell sprays for taking labels off windscreebs. I havent tried it yet but maybe it would work on door.

Wouldnt the heat gun melt the pvc?

Beckie
Beckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 12:50 PM #4
Bettybooboopbedoop

I got the marks from the labels off my windows with nail varnish remover. Came off no problem, not a mark left. This door though is another story. Don't know of any easy way to peel it off. Take note producers, we need easy peel off protective strips.
Bettybooboopbedoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 12:51 PM #5
Stuarty

Default label remover

You can buy label remover from hardwares like Atlantic and B&Q, it works well on glass, but it can take the finish off woods and plastics, you would have to test it on a small inconspicuous area first if you were going to take the chance
Stuarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 01:03 PM #6
mary_queen_of_pots

Default Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuarty
You can buy label remover from hardwares like Atlantic and B&Q, it works well on glass, but it can take the finish off woods and plastics, you would have to test it on a small inconspicuous area first if you were going to take the chance

I never have a problem with labels on glass. WD40 safely removes them but unfortunately it won't work on the door.
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 01:04 PM #7
bings

Default film on door

Hi Is it not the responsibility of the builder to remove the film. When we put in new windows and doors they took off the film. I had to do nothing just pay the bill.
bings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 01:18 PM #8
mary_queen_of_pots

Default Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by bings
Hi Is it not the responsibility of the builder to remove the film. When we put in new windows and doors they took off the film. I had to do nothing just pay the bill.

Hi Bing, yes it should be the responsibility of the builder to remove the film. He actually removed the outer layer but the house had been lying for so long before we moved in that that the underlayer just wouldn't budge. And so, I can either pick at it myself or get the builder back and let him pick at it and have him under my feet all day. I think not.
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 01:47 PM #9
Bettybooboopbedoop

angling mad, what pm, come on, we all want to know what to do. Go on, share...
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 02:17 PM #10
Bettybooboopbedoop

Did either work? It's a pain having to pick off little bits
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 05:11 PM #11
mary_queen_of_pots

Default Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by angling mad
the steam works fine

Thanks George. I have since tried hot vinegar and boiling water but all to no avail. Will try the steam next.
Old Posted: 27-08-2008 , 05:23 PM #12
Bettybooboopbedoop

Good Luck
Old Posted: 29-08-2008 , 11:13 PM #13
bridget123

Default pvc door

hi , please DonT use the heat gun ,get a hair dryer and your nails,if you have any left ? it should peel off easly the dryer wont damage the door,dont stay in same place to long with it.Its great for taking stickers off the outside of cars and the the plastic tint off inside windows.The people who put my windows in took all plastic off mine.hope this helps
bridget123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 29-08-2008 , 11:22 PM #14
mary_queen_of_pots

Default Door

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget123
hi , please DonT use the heat gun ,get a hair dryer and your nails,if you have any left ? it should peel off easly the dryer wont damage the door,dont stay in same place to long with it.Its great for taking stickers off the outside of cars and the the plastic tint off inside windows.The people who put my windows in took all plastic off mine.hope this helps

Thanks Bridget but I have tried the hairdryer and it didn't help. I got it all off the inside of the door without any problems but there is hardly anything left to peel off the outside. It is now all bitty and sticky. I have been assured that the steam cleaner will work so I am heading off tomorrow to buy one. And if that doesn't work, I will just have to buy a new door!
Old Posted: 29-08-2008 , 11:51 PM #15
Bettybooboopbedoop

Oh my God, I hope it doesn't come to that. Good luck with the steamer. I have a small steam cleaner if thats any good? Can show you pics. Betty