Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 07:47 PM #16
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunty
Hi Kiara,
It's great to hear to are finally getting the KEYS. May you have many years of happiness & health in your new home. Best of luck with studies also. B.

thanks bunty, x
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 07:50 PM #17
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by magiceight
Forgot to ask - do you have anything or are you starting from scratch? And what are your main few priorities? I just looked at my favourites list (and all its subfolders :P) and I don't know where to start!!

hi magiceight, yes im starting from scratch as im moving from a furnished rental, iv a 3 year old girl so her room is an immediate priority I'm pregnant too so I'll be doing a nursery, really dont know where to start! kiara
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 07:50 PM #18
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler
You can get lengths of rail from builders merchants, and brakets for it from either the same place or a hardware shop. If you ask nicely they will even cut the poles to size. Good luck with the new home
Tod

thank you I'll try that on monday, kiara x
Old Posted: 06-12-2008 , 10:12 PM #19
bluecurlygirl

Default Hiya Kiara

Well done on your new home. Exciting times ahead. I was gonna suggest wardrobe for the alcove & the pole could be dowelling or aluminium piping (copper piping left over from building site maybe?) I bought the fixings in our hardware store - there are loads of different kinds of fixings so you'll be spoilt for choice. Put up a screen in our sitting room using this and a towel rail in the bathroom. Buy one length and it should do your wardrobe and your towel rails/toilet roll holders too! Do you want a single locker? Do you want a lovely stereo system (tape doesn't work and the cd tray ejects from time to time) -3 cd holder and mighty sound out of it. Great reception on radio also. If you know anyone who can figure out why it ejects ....
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 12:21 AM #20
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecurlygirl
Well done on your new home. Exciting times ahead. I was gonna suggest wardrobe for the alcove & the pole could be dowelling or aluminium piping (copper piping left over from building site maybe?) I bought the fixings in our hardware store - there are loads of different kinds of fixings so you'll be spoilt for choice. Put up a screen in our sitting room using this and a towel rail in the bathroom. Buy one length and it should do your wardrobe and your towel rails/toilet roll holders too! Do you want a single locker? Do you want a lovely stereo system (tape doesn't work and the cd tray ejects from time to time) -3 cd holder and mighty sound out of it. Great reception on radio also. If you know anyone who can figure out why it ejects ....

thanks for the advice bluecurlygirl, and il pm you about the locker, kiara x
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 12:46 AM #21
kila2008

Hey Kiara, congrats on your new house...I'm delighted for you!

As other posters said, keep it simple and prioritise. I can imagine that you want to get as much of the house finished as possible before the new baby arrives, but you really only need to get the basics in place.

Place some "wanted" ads on here and also on

http://www.rollercoaster.ie/handiton...7&mycounty=All

You could make your own stencils for decorating your daughter's room...do a google search for some of her favourite characters, print them off and cut out pieces to make a stencil...a small bit of sponge and some acrylic paints and just repeat the stencil as many times as you want. You could paint some numbers or the alphabet on the wall or perhaps paint/make a height chart on the wall. Alternatively, get your daughter to colour/paint some pictures and let her hang them on her wall.

Regarding the rail for the alcove in your daughter's room...could you just use the wooden handle off an old mop or sweeping brush??

Penneys used to sell plain coloured 'pop-up tidys' for €3...not sure if they still stock them but they are very handy for storing toys. Try the €2 shop for kids posters, stickers, small household bits, etc

Regarding the garden, I don't know much about gardening, but perhaps, get some seeds and start them off in old food containers and maybe get some slips/branches off shrubs and try growing them with some rooting powder....other JT members will be able to advise you on the correct times of year for doing this and the correct procedure as I'm not really sure.
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 12:49 AM #22
kila2008

Kiara, perhaps place a really long wish-list of every single item that you need or would like for the house & baby and update/shorten it as you receive each item!
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 01:28 AM #23
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Kiara, perhaps place a really long wish-list of every single item that you need or would like for the house & baby and update/shorten it as you receive each item!

ha ha your not the 1st one to suggest that! I have a 'furniture and kitchen appliances' thread in wanted but I really dont want to have a big long list and people would just think I'm milking it! Truth is though I really do need alot of things and my partner is out of work since Sept and will be for awhile yet (severe back problems from being overworked!) so I can't just go shopping, although it might be a blessing in disguise because I used to shop way too much and end up with stuff I just didnt need! So now I'm being alot more resourceful and reusing alot more and actually I kind of enjoy it! Myself and the little lady have been making christmas bits lately and she loves it so I might take your advice and give her a more active role decorating her room, crafts etc. I'm definatly gonna build in her wardrobe so i might get a beaded curtain, are they hard to make? lol (only half joking I actually have a surprising amount of beads!) kiara x
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 02:16 AM #24
kila2008

Yeah I understand...but I don't think that people would necessarily think that...just thought it might be the easiest way of doing it as people could look down through the list and could then decide what they had to offer you based on what you need.

I, too, have always loved shopping but there is soooo much more satisfaction out of making stuff yourself and its soooo much cheaper. I love the €2 shop though, as I can indulge my shopping habit without spending an absolute fortune.

I seem to have developed a habit lately of gathering up as many craft supplies as I possibly can and anything that I think I can make something out of. I'm doing a design-related course in college and it has made me realise that I am the best person to design stuff to suit my own taste as nobody knows what I like better than I do myself...lol I'm hoping to start trying to design some furniture soon as boyf is starting to decorate a self-build (and as a s/e tradesperson work is now rather scarce for him so I want to save him money). He asked me what I want for xmas and I told him I want a 'jigsaw'...he didn't understand though as he asked me "how many pieces do you want in it?"... lol
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 02:17 AM #25
kila2008

I have been searching online lately though for "home decorating" ideas....I like looking at interior design or even just general design blogs for inspiration.
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 12:37 PM #26
Stuarty

Hiya

i'm a big fan of www.marthastewart.com. Theres loads of cool ideas for maximising space and storage. I love the one of hanging a curtain in front of shelves to hide the clutter, perhaps in daughters rooms you could hang one a bit out from the shelves (it depends on the depth of the alcove and the depth of the shelf) and it turns into a cool space for little people, they can use it as a puppet theatre, a dress up space, a hiding place ....
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 12:56 PM #27
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by kila2008
Yeah I understand...but I don't think that people would necessarily think that...just thought it might be the easiest way of doing it as people could look down through the list and could then decide what they had to offer you based on what you need.

I, too, have always loved shopping but there is soooo much more satisfaction out of making stuff yourself and its soooo much cheaper. I love the €2 shop though, as I can indulge my shopping habit without spending an absolute fortune.

I seem to have developed a habit lately of gathering up as many craft supplies as I possibly can and anything that I think I can make something out of. I'm doing a design-related course in college and it has made me realise that I am the best person to design stuff to suit my own taste as nobody knows what I like better than I do myself...lol I'm hoping to start trying to design some furniture soon as boyf is starting to decorate a self-build (and as a s/e tradesperson work is now rather scarce for him so I want to save him money). He asked me what I want for xmas and I told him I want a 'jigsaw'...he didn't understand though as he asked me "how many pieces do you want in it?"... lol

Fair play, if you can do it go for it completely custom made furniture, i love it, if I tried that I'd probably lose some fingers lol!
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 04:30 PM #28
Antoine

Default Hi Kiara

I am moving house at the end of Feb if you can wait that long I have a old wardrobe chest of drawers and bed side locker that you can have you could paint them in your daughters favourite colours and add stickers and stuff. let me kmow what you think?
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 05:12 PM #29
ireneo

Congratulations Kiara,
You should pick your paint colours for every room and give all your friends a colour and have a house warming/painting night. If everyone brings a bottle and a pot of paint, you would all paint and party at the same time. You , would have your house painted and your house warming all in one night. It would be such a laugh too. The pots of paint would be your moving in presents from your friends. Just make some finger food and put some good music on and you`re laughing.
Good luck
All the best
Old Posted: 07-12-2008 , 05:26 PM #30
kiara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoine
I am moving house at the end of Feb if you can wait that long I have a old wardrobe chest of drawers and bed side locker that you can have you could paint them in your daughters favourite colours and add stickers and stuff. let me kmow what you think?

thank you antoine, sending pm
Closed Thread