JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-07-2010 , 06:35 PM #16
EvenstarArwen

Hi Palminnie,

I think these are fabulous chairs. I think if you want to refurbish them, and this is in my own opinion, it would depend on the colour scheme of the room you possibly considering putting them in.

If those chairs were mine and I was considering refurbishing them, I would paint them white and have them reupholstered in blue/silver material on the seat, it would be so beautiful.

I wish you the best of luck and have fun doing those chairs up
EvenstarArwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 10-11-2011 , 11:48 AM #17
leopard print

Default re upolster

u can do ur self i done mine pic fabric in hickeys or any fabric get hot glue or staple gun release seat off top chair use iriginal stuufing part cut fabric 2 size needed cover staple or glue onto base and reattach it s worth ur while an no one will have anything like yours
leopard print is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-11-2011 , 11:23 PM #18
Proteavalley

Default becareful

be careful as the things you take out of skips is theft and you can be prosecuted for it, its mad I know as the stuff is going to the dump, but legally the stuff in the skip still belongs to the person throwing it out
Proteavalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-01-2013 , 08:39 PM #19
damiond

Quote:
Originally Posted by palminnie1
my twin and i dug out three fab kitchen type chairs. A sort of deep blonde wood and very hard wood too.
it had a cottage style carved centre back batton and beautifully turned legs.
How do you start process of making these shine?
I know i want plum striped padded seating, maybe but not much else at present.
all suggestions for this greatly appreciated.
these are like the old trad chairs with a bit of a difference.

They are hand made chairs, circa 1940-50. Probably west Ireland. General manufacture. Wont go for much. Sand and polish with a bit of Bee's Wax. Good for prop or home deco. Check for the turner's stamp/mark
damiond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-01-2013 , 09:08 PM #20
palminnie1

Default thanks for this!

yes, there are marks underneath and must take pics of em and put them up. i love em.
they are gorgeous but no chippendale but well well made and craftmanship brill.
i will sand them a bit and put beeswax i think.
and thank you.
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-01-2013 , 09:15 PM #21
damiond

Quote:
Originally Posted by palminnie1
yes, there are marks underneath and must take pics of em and put them up. i love em.
they are gorgeous but no chippendale but well well made and craftmanship brill.
i will sand them a bit and put beeswax i think.
and thank you.

send a pic of what you see as markings and I will see if I identify the maker. No problem. If I had the cash I'd take them off you. Pity :)
damiond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-05-2013 , 09:33 PM #22
humdinger

Default chairs

I Think Those Chairs Are Very Good Quality(i Do Restoration) And My Advice To You Is To Sand Them Down And Stain Them With Wood Stain To The Colour Of Your Choice Let It Dry Fully, And French Polish Them It Will Bring Out The Beauty Of The Wood, You Will Ruin Them If You Paint Them As For Covering Pick The Colour And Design Of Your Choice And It Can Be As Funky As You Want As The Wood Will Enchance The Covers The Best Of Luck With It Looking Forward To Seeing The Finished Product....
humdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-05-2013 , 09:52 PM #23
palminnie1

Default chairs

yes, i am not touching them bar doing what you have advised, i would hate to ruin them. pity i only have three but i love em and everyone here really does too.
i have them now in the 'what will be the eating area' they look great, may cut the table down to meet them, as the legs of these chairs i would say slightly smaller than we are used to, i think over a decade or two people have grown taller!
palminnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-05-2013 , 09:56 PM #24
humdinger

Default chairs

glad to hear your not touching them yes people were shorter back then my Family are still small LOL!!! i got a chair there last year its a victorian nursing chair and its very low when i sat in it i had a job getting up out of it i will get around hopefully in the summer to bringing it back to its original beauty its in tatters at the moment keep an eye out at car boot sales and second hand shops/charity shops you could be lucky and pick up one the same for very small money.i look forward to seeing them finished.....
humdinger is offline   Reply With Quote