Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 10-01-2009 , 06:04 PM #16
julfren

Default Green cone

Hi Vol

Thanks for your reply. I am tossing up between Green Cone, Wormery and Digester.I have already got a Composter which is very good for fruit and veg peels, eggshells, torn paper (non glossy), ground coffee, teabags,grass clippings in small amounts,some weeds( not the broad leaved ones like dock),etc but the composter will not take food waste( bread, meat, cooked and raw, etc) I'm not too happy with the fact that you don't get compost from the Green Cone. Thanks Vol for that info. I didn't realise that. The wormery gives compost and liquid feed. The digester I'm not too sure about. Anyone have any experience of one? I know they are a bit pricey and the councils aren't apparently giving their seal of approval to them yet as there is some reservation re their effectiveness.At least that was the last I heard from KK Co Council some months ago. The wormery causes me some squeamishness! I shall continue my research and shall soon make some decision.

With regard to ashes from the fire: if there is coal being used you cannot put it in the compost bin as it is toxic but you can put in ashes from wood burning.

Jul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOL
Hi,
I use a green cone along with a composter and it's saved me a fortune in refuse charges. You don't get anything out of the green cone, it seeps into the soil. I have it in a flowerbed and I could hardly get into it this summer with all the flowers so it's obviously doing some good! It's a little more trouble than a composter to set up as you have to dig a big hole but it's well worth the trouble.
julfren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-01-2009 , 05:30 PM #17
KD7

The digester doesn't create compost like a regular composter, but does add nutrients to the surrounding soil, and every year or so it can be cleared out with that being a rich compost; the nutrient rich surrounding soil can also be moved around the garden as well.
Use a regular composter in tandem for composting raw veg waste from kitchen, garden trimmings etc.; makes sense if you have a small veg. patch I think as you'll have plenty to compost anyway.
A possible problem with wormieries is they slow down during winter, but your kitchen waste doesn't. Don't know if I'm 100% correct about this though...
KD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-01-2009 , 05:43 PM #18
KD7

Quote:
Originally Posted by julfren
Hi Vol

I know they are a bit pricey and the councils aren't apparently giving their seal of approval to them yet as there is some reservation re their effectiveness.At least that was the last I heard from KK Co Council some months ago.
Jul

I don't think that's why they won't fund it. Probably lack of vision, lack of forethought, lack of will, lack of funds, lack of imagination. They been used for a long time elsewhere, and local gov. funded as well. God love Irish local and national gov.; but you get what you vote for.
KD7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-04-2010 , 10:27 PM #19
Riona

Default Home made wormery

Griffen-I really like the idea of the DIY wormery-as there's 7 of us we'd need 2 of the commercial ones, but I have one question-how do you harvest the compost? Do you just start a new bin when the first one is finished, as transfer the worms across?
Riona is offline   Reply With Quote