JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 11-04-2011 , 09:06 AM #1
Purplerain

Default Stove - Is it worth it ? Which type of stove?

Hi i am looking for some advice on installing a stove before winter time.I will need one to heat a min of 12 rads.Have had advice on size of stove etc and it sounds like its going to be expensive to get done,so is it worth getting done, will it be less expensive to run than the oil which i currently have?.Which is best multi fuel or wood burning?.If you have gone down this road your advice would be much appreciated thanks.
Purplerain is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-04-2011 , 11:34 AM #2
4bordercollies

Default Installing a Stove

Hi, we installed a standalone multi fuel stove 2 years ago which now heats almost all of downstairs, approximately 80 sq metres of space. It has allowed us to use half an oil fill annually i.e. less than 450 litres. We are fortunate to have our own supply of timber and we save turf since last year. In the really cold weather, we use a single bed of coal when starting the fire which holds the heat for longer. My advice would be to install a high standard of stove but get recommendations on suppliers and fitters. The best decision we made, fitting a stove.
4bordercollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-04-2011 , 07:19 PM #3
Purplerain

hi thanks for reply how many rads are being heated in that 80 sm.
Old Posted: 12-04-2011 , 10:07 AM #4
4bordercollies

Default Stove

Our stove when in use allows us to switch off 6 radiators. As I stated in my previous post, our stove is standalone so not connected to radiators. Our stove is a Nesor Martin with a 7 kWh heat output. Best of luck.
4bordercollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-04-2011 , 11:04 AM #5
Purplerain

Thanks, anybody got advice on one that heats the rads also
Old Posted: 13-04-2011 , 09:49 PM #6
jackieryan

Default Stove - Is it worth it

we installed a stove to heat our house which is 13 rads , it is a multi fuel and we have it in the sittingroom, we also have oil heating which we have used once since putting in the stove but have the option of switching between both systems,i think it is one of the best things we ever did a drastic drop on what we were spending on oil
jackieryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-04-2011 , 09:06 AM #7
Purplerain

Thanks
Old Posted: 18-04-2011 , 12:37 AM #8
tudlytops

We had one connected and will be connecting it again.

It heats up to 7 radiators and its the best thing ever.

We will not be having oil or gaz, just the stove.

If before you go to bed, you fill it up and leave it almost fully closed, it will keep the house worm till the morning.

Mind you, you will have to make sure there is always water available to it (during freezing temperatures) as the stove is not something you can turn of if the water supply froze, we have a large water tank allocated just for the stove.

During the real cold winter we use coal and wood, but as soon as the weather worms up a bit, all it takes is a bit of wood.

Be careful with the size of the room you putting it in, my ex has one in his living room, to big for the living room and at times its impossible to seat there as it gets to hot, even with the door open and to open a window seems a waste.

But if you just wandering are they worth it, yes they are worth every penny.
tudlytops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 22-06-2011 , 08:37 PM #9
Purplerain

has anybody installed a insert stove (one that fits flush into fireplace)that heats approx 12 rads and water?.if so are you happy with it, as i have been given coflicting advice from different stove suppliers, and i would like to try and get it right, as it will be expensive to get done and i am planning on getting it done soon thanks
Old Posted: 25-10-2011 , 03:54 PM #10
Izzyizzy

Default stove

Hi. I installed a Blacksmith multifuel stove a month ago. (The Forge model) The plummer put on a higher grade pump and I installed thermostats on the rads that get the hottest so I can turn them down. The heat has transformed my home and I also have oil, so I have a duel system . Haven't put on the oil since the stove was installed. Best money I have spent this year. The stove cost me E1400, the flue was dear E1075 and then the plummer had to be paid. no regrets at all. Go for it you wont regret it either.
Izzyizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-10-2011 , 03:11 PM #11
mw100860

Default hercules stove

This thread on stoves is very interesting. We have a stove in the kitchen/living area at the moment-Stanley Erin boiler model, great to heat the water but not good enough for all our rads, 16 in total, though not all operational at the same time. Was thinking of putting in Hercules 30b; does anybody have any experience of these? We also have a wood-pellet boiler which works great but its a bit of a drag not to mention expensive to have two separate fuels to buy. We have to buy the pellets in the 15kg bags as we have no bulk storage.
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-10-2011 , 06:14 PM #12
Purplerain

thanks to all for the advice.Went with an esse greenswitch insert.very happy with it.Bring on the cold weather.