JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 11:01 AM #1
Mamakat

Default Help - complete DIY newbie!

Calling all D.I.Yers and handymen/women! I am just embarking on my jumbletown adventures and was lucky enough to come across some laminate flooring for grabs in great condition. I have been meaning to replace the carpet in DD's room for a while now (she is 22 months and asthmatic) but we couldn't afford a replacement.
Now I have the flooring but am completely clueless on how to install it! Do I need some underlay/foam stuff and if so where can I get it? Would you recommend that I pay for a trademan to come in case I make a mess of it!!?

Any advice would be more than welcome!
Thanks
Mamakat
Mamakat is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 11:50 AM #2
roo12

Default flooring

hi you do need underlay .. i think its about €1m2 from any shop that sells wooden flooring .... did attempt to do this myself before but didnt have the tools to cut the planks, most of that laminate stuff clicks together
B&Q do great leaflets on how to do different things yourself should tell you all you need to know
Best of luck with it
roo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 12:04 PM #3
keno

Hi, underlay needed, but if you are anyway handy ,its no prob doing it yourself. Sharp saw needed, jigsaw if possible.I put down floors in 3 of the bedrooms, taking off the skirting board helps as its a neater finish. Patience is needed but then all us girls have them lol.

If you pay someone to do it and they'll charge 100e , it kinda defetes getting floor for nothing.

Be careful clicking sections together , don't tap edges with a hammer directly as it will break the lock together pieces.

All the tools needed can be bought ( reasonable) in woodies, b&q, homebase.
keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 12:09 PM #4
Mamakat

Default flooring

Thanks for the reply roo12. I just watched a youtube clip on how to do it and it looks manageable enough (hopefully!)!! Between myself and DP we should be able to work it out, once I have found someone willing to lend us a jigsaw etc.

The carpet we put down is less than two years old and therefore so is the underlay. Would this be ok for laminate flooring underlay or are these two completely different products. Anyone know??

Cheers ;-)

Mamakat
Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 01:16 PM #5
keno

2 different products. Laminated underlay is like plastic with a thin layer of foam on it.
keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 01:23 PM #6
Mamakat

Default flooring

Awh, that's a shame, but thanks for letting me know Keno!!
Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 05:07 PM #7
mrsl

You could always put a post in the wanted section for the wooden floor underlay. I had stuff left over when a shop fitted a floor for me and gave it away on JT. You never know, every bit you get means less you have to buy:)
mrsl
mrsl is offline   Reply With Quote