JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 22-08-2010 , 11:12 PM #1
zileoco65

Default recycling aluminium trays?

Hi, every so often I have aluminium trays here at home, after a shop-bought lasagne, maybe, or curry chips from the chipper, rice from the Chinese takeaway or even sometimes salads from the local petrol station.
How can I recyle these aluminium trays, I don't think my Mr Binman will accept them in the clear OptiBag for recylable stuff, as they are not listed on the OptiBag.
Ideally, I suppose i shouldn't buy anything in these containers, as in 'Refuse' from the green mantra Refuse, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle...
But still I have them now, 4 from chips yesterday, 1 from a quiche today and 4 from small pies today... and I hate just throwing them in the bin.
I am just wondering how other people deal with them, maybe I should call Mr Binman and the Limk Co Council recycling depot in Mungret to check for certain.
regards
zileoco
zileoco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-08-2010 , 02:42 PM #2
Ronagig

Hi Zileoco65,

I'm afraid I can't help you with getting rid of them but I will tell you that I normally keep a few on hand & reuse them at home.
If I am making stews, soups, stock etc. they are great for getting an extra portion of something into the freezer (My other half does 12 hour shifts, so he take them to work).
Hope that helps:)
Ronagig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-08-2010 , 04:28 PM #3
Fries-With-That

Default Mr Binman

These would be classed as food tins for recycling purposes, they are made from the same stuff as coke cans etc.
We wash them and put them in the optibag.
Fries-With-That is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 23-08-2010 , 07:00 PM #4
zileoco65

Thanks Ronagig and Fries with that for the replies. Yes I guess i could reuse some of them, but then I also need to remember to keep the waxed card lid, but that's not really a big problem. Unfortunately the aluminium won't go in the microwave, not like a plastic tub of soup for lunch. And eventually, when they get a hole in them they have to go out too, so I think I'll take a leaf out of Fries With That's book, and treat them like aluminiun cans and wash them, let them dry and put them in the Optibag.
On an aside, two visiting teenagers yesterday watched as my daughter washed the used yogurt tub and the plastic potato salad tub, and asked 'Why do ye wash your rubbish?' and then said after the explanation, "You must take your rubbish very seriously" and I do, I guess.
Thanks for the tips.
regards
zileoco
zileoco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-08-2010 , 09:40 AM #5
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Hi there, we take our recycling to the recycling centre and the aluminium trays etc go in with the drink cans. eibh.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote