JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tube
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 05-07-2009 , 06:28 PM #1
Chris P
Administrator

Default Ireland's World Heritage Sites: #3 - Skellig Michael Hermitage, Co Kerry

George Bernard Shaw said that Skellig Michael is "an incredible, impossible, mad place…it is part of our dream world." This UNESCO World Heritage Site is located off the coast of Kerry in southwest Ireland.

Over 600 steps lead to the hermitage at the top of Skellig Michael. The hermitage was occupied by monks from the 6th century to the 13th Century AD.

Shaw also said that "whoever has not stood in the grave-yard on the summit of that cliff [on Skellig Michael] among the beehive dwellings and beehive oratory does not know Ireland through and through."

Alas, too many folks have been standing there over the years so tourist-access is restricted in recent times in order to protect the site. Also, the Office of Public Works (which is responsible for maintaining the ecclesiastical sites) has come in for criticism for what some believe is their less-than-sensitive conservation work.

"Little Skellig" is home to the second largest gannet colony in the world.

Attached Images

Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 23-07-2009 , 02:57 PM #2
TickTock

Default Skellig Michael Hermitage

I've watched a lot of the 'Coast' series and thoroughly enjoyed them. Extremely well presented and wonderful photography.

The second video here reminds me of a very bad and boring secondary school lesson. Secondary school students would be forgiven for falling asleep during the said lesson. It's a pity that this kind of presentation will never excite or inspire new generations of history-lovers.

Regarding the critical comments of the OPW. I am no expert, but perhaps there are more 'tradesmen' employed on this project than 'archaelogical expertise'.
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 21-09-2009 , 07:20 PM #3
TickTock

Default Skellig Michael Hermitage

Having heard of the recent fatalities on the Skelligs I am at a loss as to why safety rails have not yet been put into place. It needs more than just signs to save lives. Both these people lost their lives in exactly the same place. The place should be closed down until these safety measures are installed. For the love of God, no more deaths please!!!! Act now!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote