JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 19-07-2011 , 10:12 AM #1
greenmag1

Default can you paint a filing cabinet??

HI
Can anyone tell me if you can paint a filing cabinet, i have a 4 drawer cabinet in my room and its an unsightly grey and id like to paint it a nice color maybe a cream or someting so it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb..any suggestions on how to do that would be much appreciated???
greenmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 19-07-2011 , 03:54 PM #2
Gormal

Sand it lightly with fine sandpaper so that the paint will stick. dust off and carefully tape up any bits you don't want to paint. Buy some spray paint in the colour of your choice and spray light coats, layer by layer, allowing each to dry until you get an even colour. it'll look a little patchy at first but you will lose that with the other coats.

Maybe someone else has done this with a brush or roller and will help.

Or if you find a nice fablon you could use that
Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-07-2011 , 07:51 PM #3
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default filing cabinet

Hi, I agree with Gormal...I think Rustoleum is the brand with all the colours in spray paint and you can get instruction booklets with them. Depending on how often you use the filing cabinet and also the style of your room, another idea might be to make a fabric cover to match your soft furnishings, a piece on the top and a gathered piece like a skirt (they used to have these on old dressing tables) hanging down with a split in the front. When you want something from the files you open the two sides back to get at the drawers. I don't know if this makes any sense to you but I can see it in my mind. Gormal is the sewing expert--she might have ideas. Eibhlin.
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-07-2011 , 01:13 PM #4
greenmag1

thanks for that.. il check out the spray paints and get some sand paper..id prefer to paint it.. but i do like the idea of covering it with fabric too.. very helpfull. thank you....
greenmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote