Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Support Forum > Support Forum
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old Posted: 27-01-2008 , 09:17 PM #1
gringo

Default Resell

I found items from Jumbletown on some web. A taker from jumble sells it. For me its not like should be... But its my opinion. What do u think about it?
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 27-01-2008 , 09:32 PM #2
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo
I found items from Jumbletown on some web. A taker from jumble sells it. For me its not like should be... But its my opinion. What do u think about it?
Hi gringo,

In the eyes of Admin, all Takers are equal, be they needy individuals, organisations, charities, or millionaires. What happens to the item once it is taken is the Taker's responsibility. Neither Admin nor Givers can determine what happens to an item once it has been passed on. If a person chooses to collect, store, and sell at some stage, that is their business. In fact they could be regarded as being somewhat entrepreneurial.

Let me restate that JumbleTown is NOT a charity. Those who wish to give to charitable causes should contact the Simon Community, Trocaire and so on, NOT JumbleTown.

The main reason why people should use JumbleTown's service is to pass on unwanted items because they have no further use of them or because the items are taking up valuable space.

The main concern of Givers should not be the "neediness" or otherwise of the Taker but rather their own desire to clear up space in their home/business in an environmentally-friendly and community-friendly way.

Having said that, the generosity of Givers on JumbleTown is well-known and to be commended. The Giver selects the Taker, be they the first, second or tenth respondent; Admin has no say in this matter.

By "life-cycling" or re-using items on JumbleTown, Givers and Takers help to reduce the amount of useful material that ends up in costly recycling systems and landfill.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 31-01-2008 , 02:34 PM #3
Narizota

I think this is an interesting post,because while I appreciate that jumble town isn't a charity,I would rather see an item I was giving away go to someone who had some need of it,not someone who was out to make a quick buck.

Impossible to police,though.
Old Posted: 31-01-2008 , 06:38 PM #4
Fries-With-That

Default Impossible to Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narizota
I think this is an interesting post,because while I appreciate that jumble town isn't a charity,I would rather see an item I was giving away go to someone who had some need of it,not someone who was out to make a quick buck.

Hi Narizota,

I tend to agree with you that it would be impossible to police, but there are a few things Jumbletown members could do to make it harder for those that are selling items on.

If people stated in their offer that the said item was not for resale it would make resellers think twice about taking it and where they advertise it for sale.

People could also ask people to respond on the thread before Pming this would make the giving and taking process more transparent.

Makes sense If i'm giving something away lets say its a "can of beans", If I ask people to respond o the thread first other users would soon see who was responding to every thread offering a "can of beans".

Anyway I think the last word on this goes to Chris

"The main concern of Givers should not be the "neediness" or otherwise of the Taker but rather their own desire to clear up space in their home/business in an environmentally-friendly and community-friendly way. Having said that, the generosity of Givers on JumbleTown is well-known and to be commended. The Giver selects the Taker, be they the first, second or tenth respondent; Admin has no say in this matter.

Regards,

Fries.
Old Posted: 31-01-2008 , 07:22 PM #5
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi Everyone,

I think it's important not to over-estimate the extent of the re-selling of items collected from Givers on JumbleTown. One reason why so many fantastic items are passed on in the first place is the fact that furniture and computer equipment depreciate in value so much after purchase.

Admin has no data on, or particular interest in, the number of re-sellers/dealers on JumbleTown. However, out of a Membership of over 15 thousand, I'd be surprised if there were more than half a dozen, and only one or two actively taking at any one time. I also suspect that someone, somewhere, may have his living room stuffed to the ceiling with items collected from JumbleTowners, and the likelihood is that they may remain in situ for a long period of time because selling items quickly and at a profit is a difficult thing to do. (Potential) Re-sellers have to consider the following: can they afford the time and trouble of collecting an item, storing it, and then hopefully selling it on? I suspect that very, very few JumbleTowners can.

Finally, the relationship between Givers and Takers is similar to a quid pro quo situation. This is how Admin sees it:

The Giver gets more space in their home/workplace, saves money by not hiring someone to take away their item, and hopefully gains some satisfaction from the fact that they are saving items from costly recycling and landfill schemes while also helping a member of their community at the same time;

The Taker saves money by getting a useable/useful item for free and should gain satisfaction not only from his/her life-cycling of an item and saving it from pre-mature recycling/landfill but also from the fact that another tree doesn't have to be cut down to provide him with a table, or that X amount of waste is not generated or X amount of energy consumed just to satisfy his need for any other type of item you can think of. (I commented a while back on another thread that the production of a single car produces around 6 times its own weight in waste; a computer generates around 28 times its own weight in waste during production. Of course, after a few short years, the car or computer usually becomes (premature) waste itself, and thus the cycle of wastefulness continues.)

Admin realises that some JumbleTowners may find the idea of re-selling distasteful, but as the thoughtful posts above state, it is impossible for Admin to monitor or police what happens off the Board. Furthermore, neither Admin nor Members are in a position to make a true assessment as to the "neediness" or otherwise of anyone who uses the site.

The suggestion that Givers who are opposed to the practice of someone selling on their item should state "Not for Re-sale" on their ads would surely deter most if not all who have "re-sale" in mind. However, from my experience of monitoring ads over the past two years, I'd say that most Givers are just happy to clear up space in their home/workplace with a minimum of hassle and at no cost to their pocket or the environment. The fact that someone benefits from their generosity (either through re-use or re-sale) should only add to their satisfaction of a job well done.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 28-03-2008 , 11:00 PM #6
julia123

Default re:resale...

hi sorry but had to post a reply when i stumbled onto this thread...i think it is a bit unfair of the resellers as most people looking at this site would only take items that they actually need...i know its jumbletowns ethos to not make judgement over whats going to happen to items been given but maybe a post in the main section to remind people of the need to say not for resale and also that the giver doesnt have to give to the first person...i find it a bit surprising that some people have made 100+post when they only joined a few months ago...how much stuff do they actually need...it is also upsetting when you have been wanting items for a long time and realise that one of these people has managed to post before you...

anyway enough of my rant...kind regards to all who use this site...givers and takers alike ....julia
Old Posted: 28-03-2008 , 11:06 PM #7
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by julia123
...i find it a bit surprising that some people have made 100+post when they only joined a few months ago...how much stuff do they actually need...julia
Hi julia123,

It should be remembered that many of the Members with 100+ posts are prolific Givers not Takers.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 29-03-2008 , 03:04 PM #8
skinnycat

As one who has benefited from free things on jumbletown and elsewhere I thought I'd add my tuppenceworth. I don't 'need' the stuff I get in the sense that I have the means to buy new furniture. However, the stuff I love is often of the used vintage variety I love, pieces that have lived and been loved, are well made and can be loved again. I am very gratefull for what I get and try to give something in exchange; wine or flowers or a baked cake (not that the givers are ever expecting it) . When I am clearing my stuff , Jumbletown and elsewhere are the first place I go to give them away. I love the ethos behind the site and I am so glad someone had the foresight and generosity to set it up. Long live recycling. To the original poster; I think, as was said, that reselling is the exception, not the rule.
Old Posted: 15-04-2008 , 07:32 PM #9
sandym

Hi all,

I have been a member of Jumbletown for quiet a few months and have gotten some lovely bits and pieces and passed some on. What I find annoying though, and I doubt I'm the only one, is that the same people are asking for everything. There are a few names that come up over and over again whether it be for a breast pump and then a computer cable, paving slabs and then girls clothing. Such a wide range of things that the only thing I can think of is that these people are taking items and selling them for profit which surely defeats the whole purpose of the site?

I have no problem in missing out on something to a genuine person but when I see the same person send a message just before me I get so frustrated because surely they can't need that item as well when they have already posted for 5 different items that day??

Maybe it's just me but I'd like some feedback from anyone who feels the same way. Are these people sitting at their computers day in day out ready to pounce on the next thing thats posted?

Thanks
Sandy
Old Posted: 15-04-2008 , 11:39 PM #10
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym
What I find annoying though, and I doubt I'm the only one, is that the same people are asking for everything. There are a few names that come up over and over again whether it be for a breast pump and then a computer cable, paving slabs and then girls clothing. Such a wide range of things that the only thing I can think of is that these people are taking items and selling them for profit which surely defeats the whole purpose of the site?
Hi sandym,

Please see my posts above for Admin's thoughts on the re-selling of items by Members and also for the site's raison d'etre and ethos.

I do, however, wish to address your point about certain Members making multiple requests in one day. It should be remembered that very often Members request items on behalf of friends and relatives who may not be computer-literate and/or have ready access to the internet. This obviously gives the impression that a particular Member is requesting many items. (Of course, they don't necessarily receive all of the items they request as the Giver decides the recipient, be they the first or last respondent on an ad/thread or the first of last PM'er). For example, one Member who appeared to be requesting many items pm'd me to state that he had managed to furnish the flats of several elderly people thanks to the generosity of JumbleTowners.

Also, there are JumbleTowners who are as Prolific at Giving as they are at requesting items. Quite clearly, they are taken with the philosophy of Giving and Taking and long may they continue to participate in the JumbleTown community.

Thanks for the feedback and also for YOUR participation in the JumbleTown community.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 15-04-2008 , 11:49 PM #11
Covelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandym
the only thing I can think of is that these people are taking items and selling them for profit which surely defeats the whole purpose of the site?

Rather, the purpose of the site would be defeated if items were ending up in landfill...............
Old Posted: 06-05-2008 , 02:37 PM #12
playbunnyplay

Default resell

i check the wanted ads everyday in case i can help someone with giving them something that i dont need anymore. to be honest i dont care what they do with it after they collect it from me. if they can make a few bob from my waste then good luck to them, if i got off my bum and tried to sell the stuff too i prob could and it would be me making the money, but i'm too lazy and too busy with work and kids to even try! i think either way there is plenty to go around for everyone!
Old Posted: 27-05-2008 , 10:11 PM #13
erica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narizota

If every giver, when they are marking their item "taken", added a note to say who collected the item, it would make things more transparent. That way, every one could see how many items each member received.

Personally, I have no problem with takers selling items on. If someone has the time and patience to collect items, advertise and sell them, that's their business. I do feel, however, that if I have an item to give, I would rather give it to someone who will use it or give it to a family member rather than sell it on.
Old Posted: 27-05-2008 , 10:25 PM #14
Chris P
Administrator

Default from Admin

Hi erica,

Here are a few thoughts on your comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica
If every giver, when they are marking their item "taken", added a note to say who collected the item, it would make things more transparent. That way, every one could see how many items each member received.

By making things more transparent (as you put it), the privacy of the Giver and Taker is undermined. JumbleTown allows Members to conduct their "business" in private on a public forum. Some Givers do mention that X has collected an item, but it's not JumbleTown policy. Those Members who seem to request a lot of items are usually requesting items on behalf of family and friends. Admin does not keep track of the number of items collected by any one Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erica
I do feel...that if I have an item to give, I would rather give it to someone who will use it or give it to a family member rather than sell it on.
Admin suggests that Givers who do not wish their item to be sold on should state exactly that in their ad. Having said that, I think the amount of "selling on" is negligible.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regards
Chris P
Admin
Old Posted: 29-06-2008 , 09:41 PM #15
kellyk

Default Re Selling Stufgf

I was just reading this thread and as someone was saying earlier it would be impossible to police. I dont know what the happy medium is.

I do think it is wrong though of the same ppl who keep getting the stuff to give a sop story in their PMs and then go on and sell the same stuff in a car boot sale.

KellyK
Closed Thread