JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 11-01-2010 , 12:49 AM #1
greenmag1

Default roof slate craft ideas?

i have some slate roof tiles and i would like to do something decorative with them but wat to do is a problem.. has anybody got any ideas please? i was thinking about a name plate for my home. but im not sure how to go about it. and i cant think of any other ideas.. please help..
greenmag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 11-01-2010 , 10:52 AM #2
moloney2

Default Roof slate craft ideas

Good morning,
I made the name for my house out of left over slate that I found in the garden. Using a pliers and holding the slate in a cloth in my hand I took pieces out of the edges so that it looked older and more uneven. I then bought the stick on brass letters that you can get in most hardware stores and stuck them on the slate. I did not want it to be too shiny so I used left matt varnish on the slate and letters to seal it and then with some left over silicone I stuck it on the wall outside. If your hand is much steadier than mine you could use left over oil based paint eg gloss and write your house name on the slate instead. The chippings that were left over from the edges I added to a plant pot as a topping. As I do not have a digital camera no photo but if you pm me with your camera phone number I will send one to you.
Best wishes
moloney2
moloney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-01-2010 , 11:25 AM #3
mollypop

Default slate crafts

Some members of my family did a lot of work with old slates in the past.

This included house name plaques - to add to moloneys post you can also use metallic paint e.g. silver/gold for the lettering as this contrasts nicely with the darkness of the slate.

Other items they've made include mirrors, clocks, lamps (the base with smallish pieces of slate stacked one on top of the other), photo frames and pasting documents on e.g. the rudyard kipling poem "IF".

The natural flaws in the slate add to the character of the piece and i've seen them thread silver and copper wire through the nail holes to form decorative circles etc.

You can also spray the slate in silver metallic paint etc for variety.
mollypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 11-01-2010 , 11:42 PM #4
lolo1

Default old slates

Hi There these are great ideas and another one is to use them as cappings for a wall or pillar ive seen this done and looks realy beautiful its kind of like a roof on the wall or capping or if you have a lot of them why not build an initation well in your garden it doesnt have to be big but the slate roof will finish it off beautifully and if you fill it clay it can be an amazing planter Hope this gives you some more ideas kindest regards Lolo and happy building
lolo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-01-2010 , 12:43 AM #5
nishead

Default slates

hey, i used a few to make name plates and even got asked to make some for other houses too, made a little bit of money doing it. used the left over to cut placemats and coasters for a pressie for my mum, they look and work great but remember to put pads on the base so you dont scrath tables, will post photos if i find some.
nishead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-01-2010 , 12:25 PM #6
greenmag1

Default roof slate craft idea

hey everyone thanks for the ideas, i really like them.. i am going to try out a few and i will let you kinow how i get on.. regarding lorraines idea i dont have enough slates to do any of them ideas but they sound great.. if i get anymore slates in the future i would love to try them out... thanks again..
Old Posted: 12-01-2010 , 12:31 PM #7
sparkwell

Default slates

Hi Greenmag

Unapam made a nameplate for her cottage in the before & after section I'll see if I can find it

Sparkwell
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-01-2010 , 12:33 PM #8
sparkwell

Default slates

Here it is http://www.jumbletown.ie/forums/show...ighlight=slate

I think it is lovely and very rustic

Regards

Sparkwell
sparkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 12-01-2010 , 02:38 PM #9
TickTock

Default Roof Slate Craft Ideas

I'm no good at this one but I hope you all put some photos up here. I love seeing everyone's work. Unapam's nameplate is brilliant!
TickTock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 13-01-2010 , 11:08 PM #10
greenmag1

Default roof slate craft idea

hi all.. thanks for posting the link to unapam sparkwell. the name plate was brilliant. very creative as were the other item posted.. im in the middle of making a name plate after seeing some great idea's on JT.. cant say their going to be any good,. but im givin it a go.. il post up pics when im finished.. thanks to all for your help...
Old Posted: 14-01-2010 , 08:58 AM #11
lujumble

Default Roof slate nameplate

Hi there,

Here's one I did last year. The slate fell off the roof, and I printed out the name in a large irish font, then etched it into the slate - using a small rotating tool. Then embedded in the wall in the front of the house. Now thinking about colouring it in, perhaps in white or black...
Attached Images

lujumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2010 , 10:28 AM #12
mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmag1
i have some slate roof tiles and i would like to do something decorative with them but wat to do is a problem.. has anybody got any ideas please? i was thinking about a name plate for my home. but im not sure how to go about it. and i cant think of any other ideas.. please help..
put a mirror on it
mountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2010 , 08:25 PM #13
unapam

Default house name

Hi, I did a name plate for my house using some old flinty slates from an old house. I used Tippex to write the name on and added a metal butterfly brooch. That was three and a half years ago and the tippex is still perfect!
The slates I had I drilled with a fine drill piece and threaded wire through it. Worked a treat. I have a pic of it somewhere on here. Good luck!
unapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 14-01-2010 , 11:03 PM #14
greenmag1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujumble
Hi there,

Here's one I did last year. The slate fell off the roof, and I printed out the name in a large irish font, then etched it into the slate - using a small rotating tool. Then embedded in the wall in the front of the house. Now thinking about colouring it in, perhaps in white or black...

that is fabulous.. really like that..
Old Posted: 15-01-2010 , 01:36 AM #15
unapam

Quote:
Originally Posted by unapam
Hi, I did a name plate for my house using some old flinty slates from an old house. I used Tippex to write the name on and added a metal butterfly brooch. That was three and a half years ago and the tippex is still perfect!
The slates I had I drilled with a fine drill piece and threaded wire through it. Worked a treat. I have a pic of it somewhere on here. Good luck!

Found it! Here it is.
Attached Images

unapam is offline   Reply With Quote