JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 15-02-2010 , 12:02 AM #1
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default skirt from jeans

Anyone remember the skirts made from jeans? We used to get them in the Dandelion Market (now I'm showing my age) also shoulder bags from old jeans. I made two skirts for my daughter from her old jeans, one denim the other black cord. They were greatly admired when she wore them to college and she said 'they're my recession skirts--my Mum made them out of my old jeans'. Lets resurrect the old skills, don't let the recession get you down. Have taken a photo of black skirt so don't know how well it will come out. Basically you cut the legs off at about the knee, unpick the inside seams right up to the crotch, this leaves two funny pieces that you also unpick and cross over till the material is flat, then stitch in place. You will be left with something that looks like a skirt but with a triangle missing front and back. Just cut out a piece from the legs you have cut off, pin and stitch into place,try it on yourself or whoever you are making it for and decide what length you want it, cut off excess length and hem . you should now have a new skirk but comfortable as it already knows your shape having been your jeans!! To make a bag you cut off the legs, stitch accross the end, use the legs to cut long strips of material for a shoulder strap and attach at either side of waist. You now have a shoulder bag with four outside pockets--handy for phone, keys etc. and lots of room inside for all your other stuff. My inner hippy is not dead, just sleeping!! The Dandelion Market--afghan coats, cheesecloth shirts, indian beads and the smell of incense--ahh memories,LOL.
Attached Images

Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 15-02-2010 , 12:09 AM #2
pipan

Default re skirt

well done looks fab i might try that myself if i have the courage .but my needle work is not that great .o well i will give it a try and let you know how i get on .keep up the good work .regards pipan .
pipan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 15-02-2010 , 12:11 AM #3
kiwicooke

You wouldn't even notice it was a pair of jeans, no loose treads at all! Well done.
kiwicooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-02-2010 , 07:43 PM #4
maggied

lovely skirts and original too ... kids jeans are great for making bags like you suggested .
maggied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-02-2010 , 07:47 PM #5
Gormal

I remember that too. I stumbled upon this recently and think I may give it a go for wearing in the garden. An apron made from the back and waistband of jeans.

So if anyone wants to make one see here http://blog.betzwhite.com/2007/07/by...-my-pants.html
Attached Images

Gormal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 18-02-2010 , 08:01 PM #6
Angelsfishingrod

Good old days,,,, remember Patuchi oil!! dont think its spelt like that... skirts are lovely.. great idea too. :)
Angelsfishingrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 19-02-2010 , 08:57 PM #7
Gormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by free4all
Good old days,,,, remember Patuchi oil!! dont think its spelt like that... skirts are lovely.. great idea too. :)

I still have a bottle of Patchouli and a whole heap of incense sticks..... mmm I'm addicted to that smell!
Old Posted: 21-02-2010 , 02:15 AM #8
molly33

Default i would love your skirts

hi im goin to make them myself aswell theyed be quite cool with high boots .would u consider me
my email is melissamiss@hotmail.co.uk
molly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 28-06-2011 , 07:17 PM #9
Gormal

Default my attempt at the recession skirt.

I remembered this thread and had a go at the recon skirt. Well these started off as bootflares then were converted to skinny jeans and now they are a skirt.
I had to remove the waist to make it smaller and open the seam all the way up the back, but I got there in the end. It looks pretty cool with trainers and my pompom legwarmers!!

When I get fed up of the skirt it can be made into the apron.......lol
Attached Images

Old Posted: 01-07-2011 , 02:23 PM #10
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai

Default skirt jeans

Hi Gormal, funy to see this thread back up the list. My daughter would laugh if she saw it now!! As you say when you are finished with the skirt you can make an apron or bag--no wastage here. Eibhlin
Eibhlin ni Sheambrai is offline   Reply With Quote