JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Green Zone > Green Tips & Green Fingers
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 13-05-2009 , 02:27 PM #46
Milky_moo

HI - If anyone needs newspapers for anything - just let me know!!! I run a free newspaper in Wexford Town, and always have plenty in the archives!
Milky_moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-09-2009 , 10:49 AM #47
Woodlawn

Default Raw Material for paper briquettes

I am thinking of buying a bailer. Besides newspaper what else can you use. I have a number of bags of old school books can these be used
Woodlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-10-2009 , 07:45 PM #48
Drea

Default Paper Logs

I bought a metal press from Argos a while ago (to make rectangular logs out of recycled newspaper to use in a fire pit). I've made a few and tried to burn two of them - no luck - just smoke! Any tips from someone who got it right, please!? (Or did I just fall for an dud?)
Drea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-10-2009 , 07:55 PM #49
Eco_Friendly

Default It's all about the method

Hi ya.

Firstly you need to steep the newspaper in water for a few days (the longer the better) ie. completely immersed in water. Then it will go into a pulp and no longer look like paper. This is when it's ready to be pressed. Once in the press it should remain in the press for at least 6 hours before removing it from the press with weights on top of it. Once removed it should be dried out thoroughly. 100% can take up to two weeks.

This method only really works if you have several presses and spend a while at it each day to get a "stock" of blocks. It takes quiet some time and effort and planning and patience.

Once they are fully dried they give off tremendous heat and last ages and actually give off little to no ash.

It sounds to me like yours either wern't soaked for long enough or were still damp when you tried to light them.
Eco_Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-10-2009 , 08:00 PM #50
reebok

hi,
i'm sure you probably did, but just checking, did you let the logs dry out REALLY thoroughly before trying to burn them?
I looked in to making these paper logs extensively on the internet a couple of years back, and I remember people saying that they worked great... but took an awful lot of drying time. (More than I would have expected).
If you google paper logs, and other variations on that phrase, you should find plenty of peoples experiences and reviews that might help you out.

I ended up making some myself using a really simple method of rolling papers tightly, until I got a firelog sized bundle. They worked well - burned for an hour - but I only really used them mixed in with other fuel, to bulk it out.

good luck!
reebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-10-2009 , 10:50 PM #51
mw100860

Default re briquette maker

Hi, just got one yesterday in Argos, page 850 in new catalogue, under outdoor heating, cost E28.99
mw100860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-10-2009 , 09:06 AM #52
coffeycase

Default paper briquette maker

There was one on the paper a few months ago
It was on the Irish Daily Star for E37.90 inc P&P
Size 10x4x4

phone 1890-719868 quote ST242
or order online www.markettown.ie/thestar
coffeycase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-10-2009 , 10:45 AM #53
Drea

Thanks, all! I didn't leave the logs in the press for six hours (tried to make about 6 out of a bucket full of paper) and could probably leave the paper in the water for a bit longer. Will keep on trying to get it right - I have boxes of newspaper saved up for this money saving operation!! I suppose drying the logs on the rads will also help them dry out quicker. I will keep you posted on how I get on with them... Thanks again for the advice!
Drea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-10-2009 , 01:47 AM #54
hipperman

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffy
Can anyone tell me if you can buy these in this country??I know years ago on the late late a fella was starting up a company to sell them.But I can only find them in the UK and some of them companies wont post to Ireland.You make your
own briquettes out of newspaper.

I bought mine in B&Q Derry,£20, though as you say they wont post them to the Rep ...but they will order them in and ring you when they arrive for you to collect. I think its a good little thing though a bit fiddly and the brickettes take a long time to dry but it works, just have a pair or ten of marigolds gloves as its a bit messy. It dosnt take long to press if ya put the pulped paper in compacted in the corners, a few squeezes thats it, then its drying time...zzzzzzzzzzz, handy if ya go a few hrs spare and not in a hurry to burn them, I think worth the effort.
hipperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-10-2009 , 04:47 PM #55
MuddyWitch

Now I know it's supposed to rain more in the Emerald Isle than here in England, (though after the last three Summers I'm not so sure!), but my logs dry in about a week.

I put them on racks in my shed, turning them a couple of times. In the Winter I put the racks in the polytunnel, which helps them dry a bit quicker. (the racks are those mini greenhouses)

MW
MuddyWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 08-10-2009 , 07:37 PM #56
mary kate

Hi i bought one a few months ags through the sunday independant offers, it cost 33 euro approx inc p&p. I saw one for sale in beattys store in loughrea co galway just last week for 25 euro. If you are having difficulty in locating one i would be happy to buy and send it to you if you arrange payment ! let me know
mary kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 01-01-2010 , 08:00 PM #57
64moog

Default dont bother

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumblelover
I haven't seen them for years but I may be able to get my hands on one for you. The person who used to have one is away on holidays and I will ask them on their return. Not promising anything. I will post back here if I have any luck.

I got one at woodies for 25 euro last november and wasnt impressed at all. I found that it doesnt expell all the water from the briquette and when i put extra pressure to expell more water it started to burst at the seems despite being made of steel, waste of money
64moog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 06-01-2010 , 08:10 PM #58
chucken1

Default .

Argos are doing them for 28.99euro or give a look on markettown.ie 37.90.
chucken1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2010 , 09:01 AM #59
moloney2

Default Paper brequette bailer

Dermot Kehoe Hardware in New Ross in County Wexford is selling them at under 20.00 euro. I use this hardware a lot and have found them very helpful and more importantly very reasonable!!
moloney2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 07-01-2010 , 10:05 AM #60
chockt

hiya
they had the briquette balers in woodies yesterday
chockt is offline   Reply With Quote