JumbleTown Ireland

Go Back   JumbleTown Ireland > Home Improvements > Home Improvements
User Name
Password
HOME FAQ Register Search Mark Forums Read

Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 11:27 AM #1
BillieT

Default help - bedroom wall painted Black

My 12 year old son is having his room decorated soon and he wants to paint one wall black. Thats fine for now... But when we want to paint it a different colour in the future, how hard will it be to cover over.
BillieT is offline   Reply With Quote
JumbleTown Sponsored Links

Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 11:48 AM #2
Ocker

Default Black room

Start collecting unused bits of paint now. Make sure they are not oil based. Then mix them and paint over the black. Keep painting lighter shades till you get close to the final new colour you want. Alternatively you could send your son to boarding school...... in Patagonia
Ocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 12:07 PM #3
ireneo

Hi
Last year we painted our 8yr old sons sloping ceiling black and stuck glow in the dark stickers of planets, spaceships and spacemen on it but when we testsed it first, we discovered that if we paint over the black with white first and then the colour, its not a problem. So be daring and go for it. Its gorgeous on his ceiling, everybody comments on it
Irene
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 12:52 PM #4
Jenc

We moved into a house with a black ceiling and we wanted a white one. How boring I know!!! Anyway, we bought light grey paint and painted it with that before using the white paint. It's great you wouldn't even guess there was ever a black ceiling.
Jenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 12:59 PM #5
transylvania

Default paint

Will be enough hard to cover because You need to paint twice. The yellow should be worst
transylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 01:31 PM #6
BillieT

Default black wall

Thanks for the advice guys. He wants planets and stars etc on it too. He's into astronomy at the moment. That should last for a few weeks at least. Irene, yours sounds lovely so we're gonna go for it.
Ocker... We tried boarding school, he kept escaping. I'm not sure if I could visit very often if he was in Patagonia... but then again.... hmmm. Might not be such a bad idea.

Off to paint shop now.
Billie
Old Posted: 20-09-2008 , 04:27 PM #7
4eyes

Default Black wall

Best thing to do is put lining paper on wall and THEN paint it black when it comes to redecorating strip off the wallpaper and hey presto a perfect wall for painting any colour on
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 24-09-2008 , 09:40 AM #8
BillieT

Default Black Wall

Hi Ireneo
Thanks for the email - that looks great - my son was very impressed.

We have the paint - and now I'm just plucking up the courage to do that first brush stroke. I will email you a pic of the finished wall.
Old Posted: 24-09-2008 , 10:20 AM #9
ireneo

Thats great. Just go for it! You wont be sorry. I will look forward to your email. It will be gorgeous
Good luck
Irene
ireneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 26-09-2008 , 08:22 PM #10
bridget123

Default black room

hi ,a few years back i painted my sons ceiling a sky blue and covered it with the plastic type glow in the dark stickers,it was lovely at nite and not to gaudy looking in the day ,it might be an idea for you instead of the black(just a thought)happy painting.
bridget123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Posted: 27-09-2008 , 12:13 AM #11
BillieT

Default painted wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget123
hi ,a few years back i painted my sons ceiling a sky blue and covered it with the plastic type glow in the dark stickers,it was lovely at nite and not to gaudy looking in the day ,it might be an idea for you instead of the black(just a thought)happy painting.

Hi Bridget

Yeah we've had the the sky blue thing going on for ages now but we had fish and water going across it. He's 12 now so sky blue wont work any more - it HAS to be BLACK or nothing he's started collecting glow in the dark planets and stars to go on it. He got some stuff on ebay. Gonna make a start on Monday.

Thanks a mill anyway
Billie